Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: What is the "recovery partition"?

15 Dec 2009   #21
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

I don't think Macrium will do it. I recall Nick saying they don't support software Raid.

Your best bet is to convert it. Pretty sure Paragon PM10 Pro will do it - the trial won't do it tho. and it's not a free app.

If I come across something , will let you know.

They had a giveaway of Paragon HDM 9.5 SE , it is a special edition ( ie a special freebie ) so those more esoteric functions you get with the paid versions may not be included.

Greg - have a look at your HDM 2009 Pro and see what the helpfile says.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Dec 2009   #22
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post

Greg - have a look at your HDM 2009 Pro and see what the helpfile says.
Sorry won't be home from Oahu North Shore til Monday.

Don't remember seeing conversion on there but everything else is.

So he needs to convert before reimaging or it will copy the dynamic format?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #23
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

You should be able to convert a simple dynamic volume, spanned volume is something else.

Can't think of a free program though - that is a pretty esoteric function and usually only in the pricier apps.

Try shrinking C partition so it is smaller than the target drive to which you are going to restore.

Make an image of the now smaller partition and see if it restores - you may be lucky if the target is larger than the source - give Windows System Image a whirl, as Acronis is useless to you.

Or, you may find you can restore the Windows Sys Image you already made to the 1tb drive .

You will still have the problem of the dynamic drive tho.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Dec 2009   #24
gregrocker

 

He's getting dysfunctional PW read of drive, doesn't even show the Recov partition he wants to delete, recover.

Take a look: What is the "recovery partition"? Compare to Disk Mgmt.

Even if he could rightclick Resize, PW isn't showing the correct HD layout
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Dec 2009   #25
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

PW won't show any vols on a dynamic drive - it won't do anything to a dynamic drive, except offer to convert it. After that, the volumes should be visible and accessible as it would then be a basic disk.


This guy had some luck with Test Disk - worth a shot:

How to non-destructively convert dynamic disks to basic disks My PKB
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2009   #26
freewheeling

Windows Vista HP 64-bit, Windows 7 P 64-bit, Leopard 10.5.8, Windows 7 P 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
PW won't show any vols on a dynamic drive - it won't do anything to a dynamic drive, except offer to convert it. After that, the volumes should be visible and accessible as it would then be a basic disk.


This guy had some luck with Test Disk - worth a shot:

How to non-destructively convert dynamic disks to basic disks My PKB
That example appears to involve a data disk, not a system disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2009   #27
freewheeling

Windows Vista HP 64-bit, Windows 7 P 64-bit, Leopard 10.5.8, Windows 7 P 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
You should be able to convert a simple dynamic volume, spanned volume is something else.

Can't think of a free program though - that is a pretty esoteric function and usually only in the pricier apps.

Try shrinking C partition so it is smaller than the target drive to which you are going to restore.

Make an image of the now smaller partition and see if it restores - you may be lucky if the target is larger than the source - give Windows System Image a whirl, as Acronis is useless to you.

Or, you may find you can restore the Windows Sys Image you already made to the 1tb drive .

You will still have the problem of the dynamic drive tho.
I tried restoring from the system image I'd stored on the 500GB WD to the 1TB WD, after disconnecting the 640GB WD that was the C drive, but got the message: "No disk that can be used for recovering the system disk can be found." So I can't use Windows 7's native backup and restore, which sort of leaves Acronis as the only game in town. But I can't seem to create a boot disk that works.

It just occurred to me, is there a way to make the 1TB drive a system disk, without actually installing Windows 7? I remember we used to do that with floppies years ago, and maybe if the image restore could see the 1TB WD disk as a system disk I'd be able to re-image it? The error message seems to indicate that's what it wants?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2009   #28
SIW2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista x64 / 7 X64
 
 

Doesn't the paid version of Acronis come with a WinPe recovery disc as well as the Linux one? Maybe it is a separate download.

Otherwise, you can get Testdisk in a bootable form . It is one of the apps. on Parted Magic cd ( free ) - not to be confused with partition magic , which is completely different .

News

You could try booting that , select Testdisk, and see if you get the options the author of the article got.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2009   #29
freewheeling

Windows Vista HP 64-bit, Windows 7 P 64-bit, Leopard 10.5.8, Windows 7 P 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by SIW2 View Post
Doesn't the paid version of Acronis come with a WinPe recovery disc as well as the Linux one? Maybe it is a separate download.

Otherwise, you can get Testdisk in a bootable form . It is one of the apps. on Parted Magic cd ( free ) - not to be confused with partition magic , which is completely different .

News

You could try booting that , select Testdisk, and see if you get the options the author of the article got.
I tried TestDisk. I was able to get all the way through it and change both partitions from Dynamic to Basic, but after that when I booted all I'd get was a Gateway Vista screen asking me if I wanted to restore the system to factory defaults. When I clicked the "exit" button instead, it just hung at the cursor prompt. I couldn't boot into Windows 7 until I restored from the system image I'd created on the 500GB WD drive.

Note that according to this screen shot of the disk manager, the recovery partition shows up as 100% free space, and as simple basic. Nonetheless I can't use it or make any changes to it. Right clicking it just shows a "help" dialog, that just opens the generic windows help page.

Also, some people have mentioned RAID, but I'm not using RAID in either software or hardware form.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Dec 2009   #30
gregrocker

 

Are you able to restore using the Backup image you made?

Boot into the Win7 DVD recovery console, select "Recover using an image" and see if it will reimage onto the freshly converted Basic disk.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 What is the "recovery partition"?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Connect "Desktop" to other partition than Windows "C:"?
Hello, I'm interested in the following: Connecting "Desktop" to other partition than Windows "C:", so if I drop files on DSKT for easy reuse and availability, they copy on, f.e., "D:" or other partition. Any way to achieve this? Thank you.
General Discussion
hiding a "recovery" partition
i have created a "recovery" partition on my single disk in my new system. there i have a recovery image. i would like to hide it so i dont see it in explorer but i dont want whatever means i use to hide it to keep me from: 1- unhiding it 2- booting from windows disk and seeing the recovery image...
Performance & Maintenance
How to move "D" partition" to "C" partiion slot
Hi: I installed Win7 32 and Win7 64 on partitions "C" and "D" respectively. I have deleted Win32 and have unallocated space. I want to know if there is a way to move the "D" partition to the unallocated space and still have it bootable.
General Discussion
Both "System reserved" and "C" partition cloned to external HDD: boot?
With EaseUS Backup Tool, I've cloned these two partitions ("System Reserved" and "C") to same-sized partitions on a external HDD ("X" and "Y"). Picture tells it concisely: How to make drives "X" and "Y" boot-able? In "Disk Management", I've noticed these partition labels missing: "X" (or...
Installation & Setup
Moving bootmanager from "Storage" partition to "System" partition
Hey, whats up? New here. Right now my hard drive is split up into two partitions: System and Storage. However, when installing 7, for some odd reason, the installer put the boot manager (I think it is the boot manager) on my Storage partition, when I want it on the System partition. Is there a...
Installation & Setup
Delete "HP recovery partition" ok?
I have not backed up my system for 2 years, last time it was brand new with vista, now I have win 7. This partition is taking up a couple of gigs of hard drive space. So is it OK for me to wipe this partition clean? Does it auto-save stuff on it?
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App