Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win7 installed to SDHC how?

18 Aug 2009   #51
chuckr

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by duende View Post
A co-worker has windows 7 running on a external usb drive, he says that his brother-in-law set it up, but doesn't have a clue on how he did it, so I know it is possible.
Well then,
There's your solution:
Talk to the co-worker.
Ask him to get the brother-in-law to 'jot-down' how he did it - Nothing fancy,
just a 'few notes' on the 'overall picture' of what he did. (The 'process', as it were.)

The brother-in-law should be proud of his accomplishments and should be more
than willing to assist his fellow 'techno-geeks' -- you, and us...

Then, just do what the notes on the paper tell you to do.
Plenty of assistance here, if you need more "techno" help, with the 'notes'.

Are you sure its Win 7, and not a Win7PE Winbuilder version?

Did you, in fact, see him actually boot from the external USB?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Aug 2009   #52
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Well I can pass along one little tidbit! Someone asked how to get 7 running on external drive when hearing about 7 running on a usb flash drive! He downloaded the SUN Portable Virtual Box and proceeded to install 7 on the vhd created with that and now can take 7 along with him on the external hard drive.

Once you start the VM there you simply click the start button to watch 7 load off of the vhd as if it was booting from a system starting up with a normal drive. A VM explains how that worked out for duemde's coworker.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #53
duende

Ubuntu Jaunty
 
 

The story is like that:
I and my coworker were trying to install win 7 TO a external hard drive,
and we tried several tricks but none of them worked. So one weekend he
saw his brother-in-law who set up it for him. And yes, he runs it
NATIVELY, that's not avirtual disk image stored in the usb drive. And
yes, he has shown me it booting up. The thing is that he lent me the
drive, because i thought that if i could do a exact replica of the hard
drive content ( I mean a clonation, actual clonation not just coping
file, clonation of MBR partitions and so on) it should boot from my usb
drive also, but it doesnt work, so I guess his brother-in-law should have
tweaked something close related to the hardware of the machine were it
is running.
My coworker says that he doesn't know what exactly he tweaked but
something related with boot sectors and paths to the system drives. He
also replaced some files in the 'System Reserved' volume. I know it
might be difficult but he got to do it, so it means it is not impossible.
I Have not checked the performance running games or so on but the boot up
is very fast (maybe also because it has been installed very recently)
I cannot talk to his borhter-in-law, mainly because I don't know him but
also because he lives and works in the US so very far from here, I don't
think that I am asking my co-worker his brother-in-law number to make an
international conference to ask him the details about how to install it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Aug 2009   #54
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

Hi all
Sorry to disappoint you but currently ----


Žaš geta ekki vera er ómögulegur.


In plain English -- It can't be done -- its impossible (at the moment).

You could make a Bartpe type of disk but that then runs like a live CD and uses a non persistent RAM DISK.

Some Linuxes can run off a USB stick / device (if your Bios boots of a USB device) but this is achieved by the kernel loading some drivers at the start and then building what it needs.

Even then the Linux probably runs off a "RAM" type disk having loaded the image from the USB device but because of the file system and directory structure Write is possible to all acessible devices on the system.

The problem with Windows (all flavours) is that at boot time you can't select "different bootable images" or parameterize the kernel options at bootup.

Windows creates a load of its internal files on to hard disks (or a RAM disk if using something like Bartpe).

If you could make windows see the USB as the "C" drive it *might* be possible -- I only say *might*.

In any case you'd certainly have to do some serious hacking to get it to work.


As people have found out you can create a bootable environment to INSTALL windows via a usb / external drive


Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #55
chuckr

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jimbo45 View Post
Hi all
Sorry to disappoint you but currently ----


Žaš geta ekki vera er ómögulegur.


In plain English -- It can't be done -- its impossible (at the moment).

You could make a Bartpe type of disk but that then runs like a live CD and uses a non persistent RAM DISK.
That's not true.
Almost all XP BartPEs run like that, but my XP BartPE boots from USB HDD (or stick or SD card).
When booted from USB HDD, it uses persistent (I love that word) USB HDD magnetic media.
When all is powered down and the session is over, literally "everything" is on that baby.

I don't have a 'big enuf' USB stick or SD to put the mods on there for testing, so they're "regular" BartPEs with volatile Ramdisk.
And probably won't bother with them.
USB HDDs are more fun with their larger capacities.
Quote:
The problem with Windows (all flavours) is that at boot time you can't select "different bootable images" or parameterize the kernel options at bootup.
Windows creates a load of its internal files on to hard disks (or a RAM disk if using something like Bartpe).
I don't understand what you're saying here, because I don't know Windows...
Quote:
If you could make windows see the USB as the "C" drive it *might* be possible -- I only say *might*.
That's not true.
When BartPE boots up, he's always drive X: (AFAIK).
An XP USB HDD can be booted, then seen as drive "D:" with \Windows on it - Its just a letter...
I believe that Windows is on the "dumb" side and gets what it knows from the BIOS. And the registry, of course.
Quote:
In any case you'd certainly have to do some serious hacking to get it to work.
Not any more. XP is done and works just fine, as far as I can tell.
Both the BartPE version and the full-blown installed 100% XP Pro Media Center Edition..
Haven't gotten back to UBCD4Win yet, but that's essentially just another "BartPE", using your 'XP Installation CD', and looks a bit crude.
Reatogo looks good but seems to carry a certain amount of complications with it.
My first successful 'BartPE-type' of boot from USB-stick was with Reatogo, however.
I prefer to work with the vanilla BartPE with Sherpya's XPE106 plugin.
Quote:
As people have found out, you can create a bootable environment to INSTALL windows via a usb / external drive.
Yeah, but that's installing FROM USB, which you can do with a ten cent DVD platter.
There's no fun in that...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #56
Antman

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by duende View Post
...I cannot talk to his borhter-in-law, mainly because I don't know him but also because he lives and works in the US so very far from here, I don't
think that I am asking my co-worker his brother-in-law number to make an
international conference to ask him the details about how to install it.
The technically savvy do not use email.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #57
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antman View Post
The technically savvy do not use email.
Which email account?

The only way for a direct install to an external usb drive I could see is if the drive also saw the eSata option where you can patch directly to the board where the Windows installer will then see the drive as an internal and can be accessed through the board's sata controller. Once Windows is installed you simply plug it back into a usb port since the drive is already bootable.

If you look at the boot order or boot device menu on many boards under hard drives an external HD or flash drive will be an option to select. The board has to see that option however in order to boot from usb devices.

Even if you get Windows on a usb drive or device the problem of still going through the usb bus and not having direct access to hardwares simply makes for a "vanity install" and not any fully functional Windows where you can install the device drivers for everything and see things work as you would with a normal installation to an internal or eSata connected drive. It allows you to look over one version or edition while having another as the host OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #59
chuckr

XP_Pro, W7_7201, W7RC.vhd, SciLinux5.3, Fedora12, Fedora9_2x, OpenSolaris_09-06
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
The only way for a direct install to an external usb drive I could see is if the drive also saw the eSata option where you can patch directly to the board where the Windows installer will then see the drive as an internal and can be accessed through the board's sata controller. Once Windows is installed you simply plug it back into a usb port since the drive is already bootable.
But once the installation is complete, all references to HDD will be via 'sata-controller'.
When plugged into usb port, the finished installation knows nothing about usb, only sata HDD.
This might not work.

Quote:
If you look at the boot order or boot device menu on many boards under hard drives an external HD or flash drive will be an option to select. The board has to see that option however in order to boot from usb devices.
Right.
My board puts the SD, flash-drive, and USB HDD under "Disk drives", along with the "internal" HDD.
The guy doing the work here is the BIOS program.
I suspect he would also recognize the: MMC/SM/MS/MS-Pro/xD and the CF/Microdrive and put them in the same list.
But I don't have any of those chips to 'make bootable', so I'll never know.

Quote:
Even if you get Windows on a usb drive or device the problem of still going through the usb bus and not having direct access to hardwares simply makes for a "vanity install" and not any fully functional Windows where you can install the device drivers for everything and see things work as you would with a normal installation to an internal or eSata connected drive.
You may be under a misconception here.
The function of the external device is to put the OS into core.
The device, whether internal or external makes no difference.
SD card, "internal HDD", flash-drive, e-sata, floppy disk, or even a teletype paper-tape reader can be the source.
Once in core, the OS has direct access to all hardwares.

In this respect, there is no such thing as a "vanity install" and it is a "booted-up" fully-functional Windows "installation".
If the "input" device is writable (and big enough and fast enough), it is then also an "output" device.
You can install Device drivers, Office 2012, ShootemUp, Killum, UltraIso, or anything you want.
But not to the paper-tape reader.
Don't know what "OS" is involved here (if any at all), but the "loader" is mentioned.
The History of Microsoft - 1975 | The History of Microsoft | Channel 9.

Quote:
It allows you to look over one version or edition while having another as the host OS.
There can only be one boss OS (at a given time), in charge of running applications such as:
virtual emulators, Firefox 3.0, TV recording, wireless, email, IE8, or any other user app.
Of course, at another_given time, there could be another, different, boss OS in charge.
This would be an extremely fine example of time-slicing, but I don't think any MS OS would cooperate with that...

(Here come the slings and arrows...)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2009   #60
Night Hawk

W7 Ultimate x64/W10 Pro x64 dual boot main build-remote pc W10 Pro x64 Insider Preview/W7 Pro x64
 
 

What some are asking about is how to install 7 to not from an external hard drive by way of usb there. You can see 7 install by simply mounting the iso stored on an external drive rather then burning it to disk. The Windows installer however will halt itself when attempting a direct install onto any usb drive or device.

If you pull a drive from the external enclosure to see Windows installed on it while inside the case and then returned to the usb enclosure you run right into the exact same problem of no longer seeing the same hardware configurations as well as boot information leading to problems again.

The virtual environment easily allows for the installation while still only being recommended for evaluation and temporary application unless you consider how the XP mode works by allowing old programs to run there avoiding compatibility issues. For running Windows as a main form of dual boot like 7 with Vista or Vista with 7? Not so good!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win7 installed to SDHC how?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can't detect SDHC
For a long time ive been using this sd reader with my SDHC cards on my pc without any issues, however this week they stopped working. Windows doesn't detect them at all. I tried a few other sdhc cards and they didn't work either however an old 2GB sd card did. Thinking the reader was broken I...
Hardware & Devices
SDHC reader issues
First, I'm not looking for help with my tablet problem, but this preface is to provide background information. I'd seen many USB card readers advertised, and I ordered the SanDisk MicroMate (a SDHC device), thinking I could connect this to my android tablet and quickly have additional (using a new...
Hardware & Devices
SSD or Micro sdHC cards ??
Hi all given the fact that some micro SDHC cards are already 32 GB capacity and it won't be too long before 64 and even 128GB one's are available -- is SSD technology --although still in its infancy already on its way out. Seems to me that if Micro SDHC cards can reach this sort of capacity...
Hardware & Devices
SD and SDHC cards
I need a 4GB SD card for my Garmin Satnav. All that I can find for online purchase are SDHC cards. Is there any difference please?
Hardware & Devices
SDHC in GH1, infinite directories
I have a Panasonic Lumix GH1 camera and a 32Gb SDHC card in it. When I connect it to my Win7 x64 PC I can't get to the recorded videos, because the directory structure goes all weird: The DCIM dir in the root folder leads back to the root: G: PRIVATE MISC DCIM
Music, Pictures & Video
SDHC card not recognized
We just bought an 8GB SDHC Transcend micro SD card from amazon. I did not realize there were probs. I put it directly into my tower in the card slot and nothing pops up. If I put my regular old 2GB micro SD in the slot, it immediately pops up, but not the SDHC card. Is there a fix for this?...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:49.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App