Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Seems to stall at 1%

01 Jan 2010   #1
Vendetta

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 7601 Multiprocessor - SP1
 
 
Seems to stall at 1%

I'm trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate for a friend (she purchased a retail copy), but seems to be stalling at 1%.

It's an Averatec 2200 Series laptop, about 3 years old and I've checked everything and nothing is wrong with her laptop hardware wise.

Anything I can do to get this to install right? Anyone successfully installed on a Averatec 2200 Series?

Thanks.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Jan 2010   #2
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I'm trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate for a friend (she purchased a retail copy), but seems to be stalling at 1%.

It's an Averatec 2200 Series laptop, about 3 years old and I've checked everything and nothing is wrong with her laptop hardware wise.

Anything I can do to get this to install right? Anyone successfully installed on a Averatec 2200 Series?

Thanks.
It could be just slow,how long does it stay at 1%?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #3
richc46

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 10, Home Clean Install
 
 

Go back to square one Use Microsoft Upgrade Advisor


http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/win...e-advisor.aspx

If that shows that you are ok

Disconnect everything but mouse, keyboard and monitor
Remove all but 2 gb of Ram
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Jan 2010   #4
Vendetta

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 7601 Multiprocessor - SP1
 
 

Gets to 1% ok, then it seems to hang. You might be right it's slow, but then again, I don't see any activity with the HDD.

As for the other comment, can't do the advisor thing by MS, I have a new HDD with nothing on it or an OS.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
I'm trying to install Windows 7 Ultimate for a friend (she purchased a retail copy), but seems to be stalling at 1%.

It's an Averatec 2200 Series laptop, about 3 years old and I've checked everything and nothing is wrong with her laptop hardware wise.

Anything I can do to get this to install right? Anyone successfully installed on a Averatec 2200 Series?

Thanks.
It could be just slow,how long does it stay at 1%?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #5
gregrocker

 

Minotaur is right, it can hang at file loading to format unallocated space, and other reasons.

Check BIOS version by entering BIOS setup at bootup, compare to latest version here: TriGem

While there, clear CMOS: Clear CMOS - 3 Ways to Clear the CMOS - Reset BIOS

Check that PnP is enabled in BIOS.

It is an older laptop that might need Chipset IDE controller added into installer, or installer run from prior OS desktop to pick up the IDE controller.

Attempt install of Vista using any installer to see if install fails similarly. If not, install Vista to run Win7 installer, trying chipset given at install, then loaded from link. If DVD fails, copy files to desktop and run Setup. Attempt overwrite first, then shrink OS to attempt install to unallocated space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jan 2010   #6
Vendetta

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 7601 Multiprocessor - SP1
 
 

I will try all this when I get back, thank you for taking the time to help and everyone else above. Happy New Years!

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Minotaur is right, it can hang at file loading to format unallocated space, and other reasons.

Check BIOS version by entering BIOS setup at bootup, compare to latest version here: TriGem

While there, clear CMOS: Clear CMOS - 3 Ways to Clear the CMOS - Reset BIOS

Check that PnP is enabled in BIOS.

It is an older laptop that might need Chipset IDE controller added into installer, or installer run from prior OS desktop to pick up the IDE controller.

Attempt install of Vista using any installer to see if install fails similarly. If not, install Vista to run Win7 installer, trying chipset given at install, then loaded from link. If DVD fails, copy files to desktop and run Setup. Attempt overwrite first, then shrink OS to attempt install to unallocated space.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2010   #7
Vendetta

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 7601 Multiprocessor - SP1
 
 

I think it's just taking it's jolly good time, so I will leave it running over night. It's now jumped to 4%. lol! Took me less than 12 minutes with my Dell, guess working with an old laptop I've never heard of will get my into this kind of slowness.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2010   #8
stevieray

windows 7 x64 Home Premium
 
 

It may help if you disable legacy LAN... I seem to remember something about it interfering with some Win7 installations, but I'm working off of memory here. Can't find any links about it right now...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2010   #9
Vendetta

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x64 7601 Multiprocessor - SP1
 
 

Another thing I don't see is where I can reset the CMOS in in the bios and I also took the cover off the bottom of the laptop to try and see if I can pull the battery, but don't see it either. Really not much option in the BIOS area of the laptop, kind of crappy I think.

Seems to hang at 4% now and it shouldn't take this long?

I want to reflash the bios, but never did it without a working OS, so can someone tell me how to do it in DOS or something? Thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jan 2010   #10
gregrocker

 

Try removing all but 2gb of RAM, then swap modules after attempt.

Test the RAM using WIndows Memory Diagnostics for two full passes.

This happens most often with bad ISO or DVD burn. WHere did you get Win7?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Seems to stall at 1%




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Reboot stall
Just recently my system is acting up. When I do any sort of a reboot, for any reason it won't boot up. Black screen, and I can hear the HD cycling inside followed by a beep after 9 sec, and repeats and repeats and repeats. Seems to boot up on it's own after about 8 cycling repeats. Don't know how...
Hardware & Devices
W7/64 themes were working but now stall on first frame
Greetings from Maine! I've had my Dell Optiplex 990 for several months and have been using the very lovely VikiTech themes packages all along. Suddenly last week, I noticed the desktop images weren't changing. I went in to customization panel and they all look normal *until* one is selected....
Themes and Styles
Stall on win7 boot, BSOD booting Safemode: BAD_POOL_HEADER
Laptop froze during Web browsing, specifically YouTube On reboot, stalls on windows 7 boot animation When trying to boot into safemode, BSOD: BAD_POOL_HEADER
BSOD Help and Support
Temporary Stall when Scanning Hard Drive?
Hey guys, This has been happening to me for the many months I've had Win7-64. I've just been too lazy to post it. I'm not sure if this is some sort of power saving mode or a bug, perhaps you guys can clarify for me. And yes, I've checked the FAQs. I have: C:\ windows and programs E:\...
General Discussion
Laptop Stall
Alright, so this is kinda weird. I recently downlaoded the new Adobe CS5 suite and was about to install it when I was told to restart first by the setup. So I go ahead and restart and I see that the laptop is taking quite a long time to start-up. After about 8 minutes, the laptop restarted on it's...
General Discussion
Stall when computer screen comes back on
So, when I let my laptop sit for a while, eventually the screen will turn off. When I shake the mouse to bring it back, the computer stalls for about a minute before it will resume operations. Any idea why?
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:07.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App