Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can I reuse my Win7 ev. copy on another PC

21 Jan 2010   #1
solbjerg

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 
Can I reuse my Win7 ev. copy on another PC

I have tested a Windows 7 evaluation on my home built (older) desktop PC for some time and have now bought and installed Win 7. It runs like a dream.

I would like to test Windows 7 on my HP laptop currently with an OEM Windows XP OS installed PRIOR to yet another Windows 7 OS purchase. According to the Windows upgrade advisor the laptop MIGHT run well on Windows 7.

The Win 7 evaluation copy has been activated on my desktop PC with the code delivered by Micrsosoft. Is it possible to reuse the copy for testing purpose only on my laptop?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
21 Jan 2010   #2
Bill

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

You could also find a download of Windows 7 or a disc and install it without a key. It will run for 30 days and you can re-activate the trial four times.

-Bill
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #3
solbjerg

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Bill: Thank you for your quick answer. I have previously burned a disk with Win 7 ev. copy and as I understand it won't work after March 2, 2010. I presume I just have to NOT let it activate automatically during setup.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

21 Jan 2010   #4
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by solbjerg View Post
I have tested a Windows 7 evaluation on my home built (older) desktop PC for some time and have now bought and installed Win 7. It runs like a dream.

I would like to test Windows 7 on my HP laptop currently with an OEM Windows XP OS installed PRIOR to yet another Windows 7 OS purchase. According to the Windows upgrade advisor the laptop MIGHT run well on Windows 7.

The Win 7 evaluation copy has been activated on my desktop PC with the code delivered by Micrsosoft. Is it possible to reuse the copy for testing purpose only on my laptop?
I believe that there would be no problem.

As far as I know there are no practical limits to the number of systems on which you could install the RC (release candidate, build 7100) with a single key. (There may have been only 16 keys ever released, for all of the downloads.)

I believe that the 90 day Enterprise evaluation version is similar. It has an internal key, and I doubt that there is more than one.

As another poster remarked, you may as well use the release version without activation. You get 30 days, but that period can be reset as many as 3 times using the re-arm procedure, for a total testing time of up to 120 days.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #5
gregrocker

 

Use any version of Windows 7 free for 120 days

If you can get ahold of the RTM in any version (such as previously mentioned Enterprise trial being offered by MS) then you'll get a much better install to test your laptop with.

If not, I don't see any reason why you can't use the RC up to June 1 when it expires, either by using the license key or extending activation deadline using the workaround linked.

If you decide to keep Win7 on the laptop, many are reporting this works very well: Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to any retail version Icrontic Tech
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #6
solbjerg

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Use any version of Windows 7 free for 120 days

If you can get ahold of the RTM in any version (such as previously mentioned Enterprise trial being offered by MS) then you'll get a much better install to test your laptop with.

If not, I don't see any reason why you can't use the RC up to June 1 when it expires, either by using the license key or extending activation deadline using the workaround linked.

If you decide to keep Win7 on the laptop, many are reporting this works very well: Upgrade the Windows 7 RC to any retail version Icrontic Tech
Thank you for the links and info. I do not have much knowledge on the various ways to test Windows 7 before purchase, as I got the present ev. copy (build 7100) long time ago (August 2009, I think) just to compare it with my not very old Vista Professional.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #7
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x3, Ubuntu
 
 

Hi Kirsten,

As you have a valid copy of win7 (running on your desktop), simply install this again on your laptop without activating and use the re-arm to fully evaluate - then if you find that you wish to run win7 long term on the laptop you can simply purchase another copy of the same SKU and activate your evaluation copy with the new key that comes with the new copy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #8
solbjerg

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Hi Kirsten,

As you have a valid copy of win7 (running on your desktop), simply install this again on your laptop without activating and use the re-arm to fully evaluate - then if you find that you wish to run win7 long term on the laptop you can simply purchase another copy of the same SKU and activate your evaluation copy with the new key that comes with the new copy.
Hi Barman58.
This is a very good tip, except that I might plan to buy an upgrade version of Win7 for my laptop and not the "clean install" version I just bought and installed on my desktop.

Isn't it true that I can upgrade the Win XP Home version on my laptop with a Win7 upgrade version? I know, of course, I have to format the harddisk during the install. As a senior citizen it would be nice to save some 100$, if possible.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #9
Bill

Windows 7 Enterprise x64
 
 

You can read more about upgrading from XP to 7 here:

Upgrading from Windows XP to Windows 7 - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

Build 7100 is older, bugs and what not have been fixed since then. Probably best to test with the current build (7600).

-Bill
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Jan 2010   #10
solbjerg

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Thank you all for very good advice and tips to upgrade my laptop to windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can I reuse my Win7 ev. copy on another PC




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can I reuse my Win 7 key on the same PC?
Hi everybody, I built a new PC and bought a key for Win7 SP1. I used a Win 7 pre SP1 disk and updated the computer to SP1 then activated Win 7 normally. That was last week. Now I got an SSD and wanted to install Windows on that instead since I have nothing on the HDD apart from Windows and one...
Windows Updates & Activation
MicroSD card reuse after formatting
I recently formatted a 2GB SanDisk micro sd to offer to a friend to use in his cell phone. Formatted the card twice in my Nokia and when we installed it in the other device, which is a boost phone, it did not recognize the card. Am i correct in assuming that there is a factory format and a...
Installation & Setup
reuse windows 7 upgrade
I upgraded my laptop to Windows7, but it has had numerous graphics problems. Getting a new laptop and want to use the windows7 upgrade on an old desktop. Does anyone know if I can do this? I'm reloading the old laptop with factory install vista and then sending it to a recycle outfit.
Installation & Setup
Reuse product key after reinstall?
Hi, Is it possible, to use the product key twice, so if i need to reinstall 7, and i have activated it, can i use the product key again on the reinstalled system? -Hamish
General Discussion
win7 evaluation copy to a retail copy install
I am getting win7 Ultimate (it should be in the mail right now), I install the win7 evaluation copy with a build I did back in the summer & installed win7 evaluation copy with a clean install. Now I want to do another clean install to get rid of the junk I have collected over the last couple months...
Installation & Setup
Copy files from 1 Win7 to another Win7
I have a desktop PC running Win7 and a laptop also running Win7. When I attempt to copy a file from the desktop to the laptop I copy file and then direct it to the temp file on the laptop. I receive "the \\Toshiba2\C:\folder does not exist. The file might have been moved or deleted. Do you...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:44.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App