Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to remove Windows XP gently from PC

25 Jan 2010   #11
madtownidiot

 

You can accomplish a very quick removal of XP (or Vista) by formatting the XP HDD (or partition) using any of the common live disk managers which boot from cd or flash drive (gParted, acronis, etc) then using your windows 7 install media to repair the MBR.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jan 2010   #12
solbjerg

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by madtownidiot View Post
You can accomplish a very quick removal of XP (or Vista) by formatting the XP HDD (or partition) using any of the common live disk managers which boot from cd or flash drive (gParted, acronis, etc) then using your windows 7 install media to repair the MBR.
Thanks to you, too. Most of the MBR problems with Vista and Win7 are almost new to me and really perplex me, as I am "brought up" in the good old DOS tradition (which still worked in Win XP).

My problems are not easier by the fact, that my Win7 OS is installed on HD 1 (and not HD 0). Must change the order of hard disks according to the advice from gregrocker.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2010   #13
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by solbjerg View Post
My problems are not easier by the fact, that my Win7 OS is installed on HD 1 (and not HD 0). Must change the order of hard disks according to the advice from gregrocker.
Maybe not. You reported back that your Win7 drive is already set as first HD to boot in BIOS boot order (after DVD?). That was the point in switching the cable or checking the BIOS boot order to assure Win7 is first HD to boot.

Having a data drive in DISK0 position is okay as long as it doesn't become marked active, because a Windows installer will see it as first active drive and place the MBR there. We see this all the time here.

In your case, you had XP on DISK0 which kept the MBR when Win7 was installed as per normal. Now with the removal of XP, the System MBR needs to be returned to Win7.

This is accomplished by using the DISKPART commands given to mark XP inactive, then running Startup Repair from the booted Win7 DVD to rewrite the MBR to Win7.

You can then confirm in Disk Mgmt. that System has changed to Win7 and, as long as it is first HD in BIOS boot order, it will boot normally and the old XP drive is no longer System or Active and can be repartioned and formatted as desired.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jan 2010   #14
solbjerg

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by solbjerg View Post
My problems are not easier by the fact, that my Win7 OS is installed on HD 1 (and not HD 0). Must change the order of hard disks according to the advice from gregrocker.
Maybe not. You reported back that your Win7 drive is already set as first HD to boot in BIOS boot order (after DVD?). That was the point in switching the cable or checking the BIOS boot order to assure Win7 is first HD to boot.

Having a data drive in DISK0 position is okay as long as it doesn't become marked active, because a Windows installer will see it as first active drive and place the MBR there. We see this all the time here.

In your case, you had XP on DISK0 which kept the MBR when Win7 was installed as per normal. Now with the removal of XP, the System MBR needs to be returned to Win7.

This is accomplished by using the DISKPART commands given to mark XP inactive, then running Startup Repair from the booted Win7 DVD to rewrite the MBR to Win7.

You can then confirm in Disk Mgmt. that System has changed to Win7 and, as long as it is first HD in BIOS boot order, it will boot normally and the old XP drive is no longer System or Active and can be repartioned and formatted as desired.
Hi gregrocker.

I thank you for your good advice and educational information. All is okay now and I have learned a great deal about MBR and where it is located (and have studied a bit more on my own on the subject).

I intend, though, to change the order of hard disks some day, as I have learned that the bios/cpu's first choice would be to look for a MBR in the first physical harddisk unless I mark the disk0 as inactive. BIOS search order is now: floppy, DVD, HD1.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2010   #15
gregrocker

 

Hi Kirtsten-

I think it is a good idea to have data drives in a lower position just for the reasons you give.

So when you are ready to recover the MBR to;Win7, use the steps given earlier to mark the data drive inactive, make sure the Win7 drive is marked active (as it is now) and set first to boot, then boot the Win7 DVD Repair console to run Startup Repair up to 3 separate times to write the MBR onto Win7.

Startup Repair
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2010   #16
solbjerg

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

Hi gregrocker.

Once again, thank you. (Strange thing that one must run repair three separate times, before new values are written to the MBR. I have learned it the hard way... and by you, of course.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2010   #17
gregrocker

 

Startup Repair is automated in Win7 to attempt to repair and then rewrite the MBR after running its myriad tests and fixes.

If there are multiple issues or the MBR doesn't repair after first attempts it may require running up to 3 separate times, because Startup Repair assumes the last fix given will work until you return because a restart proved it didn't.

As long as the Win7 partition is intact and marked Active, it never fails.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to remove Windows XP gently from PC




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
remove Windows Explorer Toolbar in Windows 7 not in aero theme
Hi there! Sorry for my English, I am from Russia Does anybody know how to remove Windows Explorer Toolbar in Windows 7 not in aero theme? I make changes from this tutorial https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/65416-window-explorer-toolbar-remove.html but they works for Aero, but I use...
Customization
How can I remove redundant account in Windows Live Mail for Windows 7?
I just got finished recovering my email into WIndows Live Update after a hard disk crash. Somehow I now have two accounts that are duplicated. The accounts are listed as Mindspring (uid) (1) and Mindspring (uid). Each account has the 5 basic folders in it: Inbox, Drafts, Sent Items, Junk email, and...
Browsers & Mail
2 windows 7s on 1 pc. How do I remove 1?
I took my pc to our resident it guy to take office 2010 off and put office 2007 back on. Instead of doing that he put a whole new windows 7 on and I lost all my programs and other programs files. When I restarted my pc and pressed F12, it showed there are 2 windows 7s on. My old 1 with all the...
Installation & Setup
Remove Windows Vista from Dual Boot with Windows 7
Hello, I am trying to remove Windows Vista which is my active and main OS that came with my laptop and I had my uncle install Windows 7 for me. He had installed it onto my Recovery Drive so I had to shrink my C: (Windows Vista) and add some space to D: ( Windows 7). Now that I have the space and...
Installation & Setup
Can not remove Windows.old
Hello After I did my clean install and all that I have tried to remove the windows.old folder but it says that it's no longer found there, yet it still shows up on my C drive. I did remove some stuff out of it ok, but the windows and user folders are still there or at least show up as being...
General Discussion
Can I remove an item from safely remove hardware list?
Hi all, In the safely remove hardware menu (from clicking the icon in the task bar) I have both my internal sata hard drives listed. I'll never want to remove these so is there a way to remove them from the list? I'm guessing it might require some registry editing but I've no idea where to...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:21.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App