Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cloned partition, Copy the Bootloader?

14 Feb 2010   #21
Blizzerd

Xp, Vista, 7
 
 

I used the Program DriveImage XML

Site: DriveImage XML Backup Software - Data Recovery Product


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Feb 2010   #22
Saltgrass

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Did the drive letters change? The old D: or third partition shows "system"?

Also, since I do not see a "cloning option", what procedure did you use exactly. I will try to duplicate your steps if I can.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2010   #23
Blizzerd

Xp, Vista, 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
Did the drive letters change? The old D: or third partition shows "system"?

Also, since I do not see a "cloning option", what procedure did you use exactly. I will try to duplicate your steps if I can.

All the drive letters stay the same. It's when I look at Target path, everything says C:\ instead of D:\
All the same stuff on Drive C is on D. All programs, Windows, EVERYTHING!

The steps I did...

1 I unmounted Drive D in Windows Disk Management
2 I clicked "Drive-to-Drive"
3 Selected Drive C to clone
4 Selected Drive D as the destination
5 Clicked ok
6 After a popup window, it Starts to clone.

7 I then use BCDedit and create a Bootloader for drive D
8 I boot to drive D.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Feb 2010   #24
gregrocker

 

If you are relatively certain that Vista will install to a single partition you select using Recovery, then go ahead because as long as Win7 is not wiped out, you can add it into the MBR using EasyBCD 2.0 from Vista.

Vista may also configure the Dual Boot as it should.

Win7 is fully recoverable either way, even if you have to recover it's MBR to add Vista back from there.

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista

Personally, I would find a clean-copy Vista installer to unlock and clean reinstall Vista without the bloatware albatross.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2010   #25
Blizzerd

Xp, Vista, 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you are relatively certain that Vista will install to a single partition you select using Recovery, then go ahead because as long as Win7 is not wiped out, you can add it into the MBR using EasyBCD 2.0 from Vista.

Vista may also configure the Dual Boot as it should.

Win7 is fully recoverable either way, even if you have to recover it's MBR to add Vista back from there.

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and Vista

Personally, I would find a clean-copy Vista installer to unlock and clean reinstall Vista without the bloatware albatross.

I know it will work, I Quad booted before. (XP, Vista, 7, Ubuntu) but my HD crashed and I lost everything... I was lucky to get XP working again... haha.

Its just the dumb thing where any change I make on one drive, happens to the other. I'm afraid if I install Vista on C, it'll delete my Windows 7 on the D. Or it might just copy vista to Drive D as well...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Feb 2010   #26
gregrocker

 

If the Recovery doesn't make it clear in the choices given up front that you can write it to a certain partition to exclude another, then I would assume it will overwrite the entire HD as per normal.

Some will ask you if you want to write Win7 only to a certain partition, but I would make sure it says that no other partition will be overwritten.

If it is unclear, read your Manual obtained from Support Downloads webpage for your computer model, Google for the answer, or call or chat up your Tech Support for the exact answer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #27
Petoskey

XP Vista 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If the Recovery doesn't make it clear in the choices given up front that you can write it to a certain partition to exclude another, then I would assume it will overwrite the entire HD as per normal.

Some will ask you if you want to write Win7 only to a certain partition, but I would make sure it says that no other partition will be overwritten.

If it is unclear, read your Manual obtained from Support Downloads webpage for your computer model, Google for the answer, or call or chat up your Tech Support for the exact answer.

This is Blizzerd, I'm just on another account... Forgot what email I used for my Blizzerd account, so I can't access it.

Anyhow, I just went ahead and installed Windows Vista on the Drive C. Now Windows 7 Won't boot, it says that it can't verify the Signature for Winload.exe

Anyway to fix this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #28
Petoskey

XP Vista 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Petoskey View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If the Recovery doesn't make it clear in the choices given up front that you can write it to a certain partition to exclude another, then I would assume it will overwrite the entire HD as per normal.

Some will ask you if you want to write Win7 only to a certain partition, but I would make sure it says that no other partition will be overwritten.

If it is unclear, read your Manual obtained from Support Downloads webpage for your computer model, Google for the answer, or call or chat up your Tech Support for the exact answer.

This is Blizzerd, I'm just on another account... Forgot what email I used for my Blizzerd account, so I can't access it.

Anyhow, I just went ahead and installed Windows Vista on the Drive C. Now Windows 7 Won't boot, it says that it can't verify the Signature for Winload.exe

Anyway to fix this?

OK I FIXED IT, It can now boot. One problem, all the Target paths are for Drive C: and they need to be set for Drive D: How can I do this massive change for the WHOLE partition?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #29
gregrocker

 

Please post back a screenshot of your full Disk management drive map, using Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach file using paper clip in reply box.

Do you have a normally functioning dual boot menu?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Feb 2010   #30
Petoskey

XP Vista 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Please post back a screenshot of your full Disk management drive map, using Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach file using paper clip in reply box.

Do you have a normally functioning dual boot menu?
Yes, I do have a functioning dual boot menu, I should say Triple. I can boot to either XP, Vista, Or Seven. It all works, except with Windows 7, it doesn't work when I log in. I get a bunch of errors saying stuff like "File C:\Windows\(filename).(exe) Does not exist"

I know why it says this, and I'm not sure how to change it/fix it.

I need to change it where it looks for the files in Drive D, not C.


Attached Thumbnails
Cloned partition, Copy the Bootloader?-capture1.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cloned partition, Copy the Bootloader?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Upgraded to larger SSD, cloned the old one, and need partition help
I bought a new ssd. The old one is 64g. The new one is 256. My IT instructor took both home and cloned the old drive for me. Now I need to expand the os partition because the c drive active partition where the os is is the same size as the old ssd. So, I need to expand my primary partition, but...
Hardware & Devices
How do I properly dual boot a cloned/copy of my Win7 partition on SSD?
I have recently installed a new SSD drive and I am trying to clone my OS partition to it. I am having a separate issue of updating the firmware of the SSD (Plextor M3 128) but Windows 7 recognizes the drive is set up correctly (AHCI, Trim, Aligned). I then used Partition Wizard to copy my OS...
Installation & Setup
OS cloned to SSd-unable to boot-attempted to recover bootloader-still
Windows 7 hp 64 bit/HP Pavillion dv6 notebook pc ssd 1tb Touro (everything is backed up as well as system image to ehd) also did a system repair disc I used EaseUS clone disk wizard to clone OS. Everything went well (or so I thought). Changed boot order (BIOS),tried to boot from ssd- didn't...
Hardware & Devices
How to Remove Win8 bootloader for system MBR Partition
I was using windows 8 and now switched back to windows 7 because of incompatibility with my CAD softwares. Yesterday my system failed to boot due to some trojan virus that MSE figured it but failed to remove. And my system failed to boot after the bios screen. It said winload.exe not found. I...
Installation & Setup
Cloned my ssd to my partitioned external now cant see the partition
Hi guys, I just cloned my ssd to my external hdd for work. On my external is an 80 gb partition that holds the clone of the ssd, the remainder of the space is a partition called G: When I boot from my ssd I can't access either partition on the external drive, although windows sees both partitions...
Hardware & Devices
Cloned Partition has a Problem with source partition
Ok, I cloned my Drive (C) which is Windows 7 to Drive (D) because I want to dual boot Vista on this computer, and the Vista disk will only install on Drive (C) When I cloned my Windows 7 to Drive (D), it acts like its still working with Drive (C)... Anytime I make a change, such as deleting a...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App