Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: can't install win 7

13 Feb 2010   #1
mherman84

win 7
 
 
can't install win 7

Several weeks ago I purchased a copy of windows 7 32 bit. I could not install it successfully on the machine I wanted it on. I had to throw the HDD in another machine to install it, after I was able to enter the CD key information and let all the drivers install was I able to migrate the HDD in the original machine.

I still had problems at that point but I figured it was something to do with drivers, if I let them install in safe mode everything seemed to work fine.

The problem I am having now is that I wanted to originally put a 64 bit version of win 7 pro on it but I am having the exact same problem but can't find a similiar solution.

What happens is that after it gets thru all the file installation and is set to setup the user and CD-key it locks up at the starting windows screen. I have tried installing it on the other machine and migrating the HDD again but this time all I am able to do is load safe mode. I have tried installing all the updated drivers for the chipset, network card, and video card. But all it does if I try and load it in regular mode it just locks at the starting windows screen

I am using:

xvga x58 intel board
i7 2.6 ghz proc
3x2gb corsair memory
1 TB HDD
nvidia gtx 285 video card

I am suspecting it has something do with the x58 intel chip and some win 7 driver but I can't find a solution to it.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Feb 2010   #2
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

I'm not sure what your problem might be.

I doubt that the X58 chipset has much to do with it. I've had no trouble installing on mine (Asus P6T Deluxe).

Win7 even includes AHCI drivers, if you desire to use that mode for your HD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #3
myzr7

Windows 7 Ulti. x64
 
 

Welcome to sevenforums
Some have had luck at finishing installs by taking out all but one stick of ram.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Feb 2010   #4
mherman84

win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by myzr7 View Post
Welcome to sevenforums
Some have had luck at finishing installs by taking out all but one stick of ram.
i've tried that no luck. from what I can tell it is entirely driver related, I just cannot determine what driver or how to bypass it without using another machine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #5
Saltgrass

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Many folks suggest removing some memory.

I installed on a GTX 260 and it worked fine.

I installed an x64 version on my daughters X58 chipset and it worked ok.

Do you show any copies of a setupact.log on your system, and there may be more than one. If you find it, check the last 15 lines or so and see if anything shows problems. It may be in the \Panther directory, or in a $xxxx.~q directory.

Most folks also recommend not entering the key until you have tested the install.

What exactly happened with the original install attempt?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #6
win7clutz

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
 
 

Have checked support at MB's site?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #7
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mherman84 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by myzr7 View Post
Welcome to sevenforums
Some have had luck at finishing installs by taking out all but one stick of ram.
i've tried that no luck. from what I can tell it is entirely driver related, I just cannot determine what driver or how to bypass it without using another machine.
Hello mherman84;

I read where you said you installed the latest chipset drivers, but you did not mention if you have the latest bios. Many here have solved similar issues with a bios update.

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #8
mherman84

win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
Many folks suggest removing some memory.

I installed on a GTX 260 and it worked fine.

I installed an x64 version on my daughters X58 chipset and it worked ok.

Do you show any copies of a setupact.log on your system, and there may be more than one. If you find it, check the last 15 lines or so and see if anything shows problems. It may be in the \Panther directory, or in a $xxxx.~q directory.

Most folks also recommend not entering the key until you have tested the install.

What exactly happened with the original install attempt?
Here is what I have tried. I originally had xp 32 bit on the machine I am using, I can also install it without any problems now. I purchased a 32 bit win 7 for my wifes computer but I wanted to play around with it first on mine. During the install after it gets to the completing installation, this is after the first forced reboot. The system reboots for the 2nd time, this is where the user setup/cd key stuff/network setup happens. before you can see those screens, the system locks up at the starting windows screen.

The only time I have been able to bypass this is by installing the HDD i have in my current machine into my wifes computer, install win 7 there till the install is completely installed then moving the HDD to my computer. I have to install the drivers in safe mode and then reboot to regular windows for it to work. This only works on the 32 bit I cannot get the 64 bit to install correctly at all.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #9
mherman84

win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mherman84 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by myzr7 View Post
Welcome to sevenforums
Some have had luck at finishing installs by taking out all but one stick of ram.
i've tried that no luck. from what I can tell it is entirely driver related, I just cannot determine what driver or how to bypass it without using another machine.
Hello mherman84;

I read where you said you installed the latest chipset drivers, but you did not mention if you have the latest bios. Many here have solved similar issues with a bios update.

Cheers!
Robert
yes I have installed the latest non-beta bios version for my board.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2010   #10
mherman84

win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by win7clutz View Post
Have checked support at MB's site?
they haven't posted anything and their forums aren't what you call user friendly. No search there has yielded this problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 can't install win 7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows update fails to install IE10 after repair install
I did a repair install of W7 Ult. x64 SP1. Applied all updates, but if fails to install IE10 update : (as you see it is a dutch version). If have run sure & sfc /scannow. Both report no problems. CBS files are attached. Please help ?
Windows Updates & Activation
Windows 7 Install - Cannot install required files... Error message
I have been trying to do a clean install of windows 7 and I am now getting this message. I have probably done a clean install using the exact same disk 5 times before. I've tried formatting the hard drive and re partitioning. This is a custom build. The thing that is interesting to me is that I...
Installation & Setup
BSOD playing Guild Wars 2, recent SSD install and fresh install of W7
I just added a new SSD drive and installed a fresh copy of Win 7 Enterprise. I have had a previous driver issue with this system in the past. The amazing people on this site helped me work it out. Now for the life I just can't seem to sort it out again myself this time. I ran and uploaded the...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD on fresh install when install updates, misc error codes
My system info is in my profile, installing Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Retail. Attached is all of the report info. I have no idea what is going on. Whenever I try to install all of the Windows updates it blue screens. Then it will reboot, try to apply the updates, and blue screen again. I've run...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 Install Disc fails to see hard disk after Ubuntu install
After I tried to make a dual boot with Ubuntu and Windows 7 Ultimate (64-bit), Windows now does not boot. I have tried to reinstall and repair the HDD but the disc fails to recognize my HDD (Western Digital Scorpio Black 500 GB). My HDD is Basic, has 3 primary partitions and 1 extended (3 logical)....
Installation & Setup
Office 2010 programs wont install / lauch after install
one of my co-workers wants me to get rid of some viruses and install office 2010 home and student on her computer with the key she bought. her computer runs windows 7 64-bit. after backing up her data, i finally ended up doing a factory reinstall from the backup partition. so i downloaded all...
Microsoft Office


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App