Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Thinking about RAID0

11 Mar 2010   #11
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BugMeister View Post
if you want to experience terrifying speed - go for 2xSSD's in RAID0
- it's a MONSTER..!!
Is there really a noticeable gain to be had here? I agree it sounds great on paper, but I'm not sure how big of a gain it would really be like in real world usage.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Mar 2010   #12
sfrj

Windows 7 x64
 
 

My B-DAY is coming soon, any1 willing to 'donate' one SSD so i can do RAID0 as recommended?:P
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #13
sfrj

Windows 7 x64
 
 

actually i got a question ...

I am thinking about getting this:
Canada Computers - Hard Drives > Solid State Drives : Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB 2.5" SATA2 Solid State Drive (SSDSA2MH080G2C1).

My question is, for some reason my C:\ Partition says i am using around 70GB right now.

My Windows folder is 11.9GB
My Program files (x86) is around 13GB
My Program files is 320MB

What is taking rest 'used' memory? 80 not gonna be enough for me then for couple of games\programs + Windows 7 Pro? ://
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Mar 2010   #14
BugMeister

Windows10 Pro - 64Bit vs.10547
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BugMeister View Post
if you want to experience terrifying speed - go for 2xSSD's in RAID0
- it's a MONSTER..!!
Is there really a noticeable gain to be had here? I agree it sounds great on paper, but I'm not sure how big of a gain it would really be like in real world usage.
I'm still waiting on OCZ to replace a duff SSD, when it arrives I'll reformat the system with the OS (plus a few other necessities..) running via the two SSD's in RAID0 - I'll let you know the real-world effects then..

- personally, I'm not one to go for the clocking stuff..!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #15
sfrj

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sfrj View Post
actually i got a question ...

I am thinking about getting this:
Canada Computers - Hard Drives > Solid State Drives : Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB 2.5" SATA2 Solid State Drive (SSDSA2MH080G2C1).

My question is, for some reason my C:\ Partition says i am using around 70GB right now.

My Windows folder is 11.9GB
My Program files (x86) is around 13GB
My Program files is 320MB

What is taking rest 'used' memory? 80 not gonna be enough for me then for couple of games\programs + Windows 7 Pro? ://

Any1?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #16
Desslok

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sfrj View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sfrj View Post
actually i got a question ...

I am thinking about getting this:
Canada Computers - Hard Drives > Solid State Drives : Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB 2.5" SATA2 Solid State Drive (SSDSA2MH080G2C1).

My question is, for some reason my C:\ Partition says i am using around 70GB right now.

My Windows folder is 11.9GB
My Program files (x86) is around 13GB
My Program files is 320MB

What is taking rest 'used' memory? 80 not gonna be enough for me then for couple of games\programs + Windows 7 Pro? ://

Any1?
Usually when you run into this type of thing, it's permissions, it may skip files that are hidden, and any files/folders that you don't have access to.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Mar 2010   #17
sfrj

Windows 7 x64
 
 

... but, but i just set option to see hidden files and folders, still, don't see anything unusual ... that is taking the space.

Any Windows guru here? i need to know what is happening, before i order SSD.

This is 'fresh' installed Windows, with only Call of duty Modern Warfare 2 installed and new BattleField Bad Company 2.

Please advise,
sfrj
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #18
roadtrip

Windows 7 Professional
 
 

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Originally Posted by BugMeister
if you want to experience terrifying speed - go for 2xSSD's in RAID0
- it's a MONSTER..!!
Is there really a noticeable gain to be had here? I agree it sounds great on paper, but I'm not sure how big of a gain it would really be like in real world usage.
I haven't quantified real world usage, but here's the read speed of my X25-Ms in RAID0:

Thinking about RAID0-hdtune_benchmark_intel___raid_0_volume-ssd-cache-ii.png

I've enabled write caching and disabled buffer flushing so I just write to RAM and move on. That speeds things up when writing (not shown).

roadtrip


My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #19
Dragonfly

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 & 64 -(Boot Camped Snow Leopard on a Mac Mini)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sfrj View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sfrj View Post
actually i got a question ...

I am thinking about getting this:
Canada Computers - Hard Drives > Solid State Drives : Intel X25-M Mainstream 80GB 2.5" SATA2 Solid State Drive (SSDSA2MH080G2C1).

My question is, for some reason my C:\ Partition says i am using around 70GB right now.

My Windows folder is 11.9GB
My Program files (x86) is around 13GB
My Program files is 320MB

What is taking rest 'used' memory? 80 not gonna be enough for me then for couple of games\programs + Windows 7 Pro? ://

Any1?
I use TreeSize to drill down and check what's using my hard drive space. There's a free version HERE.


Attached Thumbnails
Thinking about RAID0-treesize.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2010   #20
sfrj

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Very nice application, that explains everything.

Thank you so much.
sfrj
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Thinking about RAID0




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
setting up a RAID0
Looking to set up a Raid0 with 2 x 1 TB drives. Only problem is the drives are from 2 different companies. 1 is a HITACHI Deskstar 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0gb/s, the other is SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s. Am i able still able to combine these 2 drives to make Raid0 array?
Hardware & Devices
ssd in raid0 how do i do it?
I want to put 2 Mushkin Callisto Deluxe 60gb ssd in raido for awsome performance but never did a raid setup. How do u do this?
Installation & Setup
Trim and RAID0
Was reading a review on NEgg and the person stated that Win 7 trim does not work on SSD drives in RAID0. True? Not? Maybe?
Hardware & Devices
ssd for OS and 2hdd on raid0
hy to all. i have quick question, maybe somebody can help me. i just bought samsung 64gb ssd and im gonna install fresh copy of win7 into it. but i still have 2 wd caviar black 500gb hdd wich ones i would like to set in raid0 to improve alittle bit my pc performance. so somebody can explain to me...
Installation & Setup
RAID0 Help!
Can anyone guide me through setting up RAID0 on the Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P? I have 2 WDC640 Blacks and am having major trouble getting it to work" 'EDIT' Im using Windows7 x64 and it wont let me continue it is asking for 'signed' drivers and I am using the drivers from the disc that came with...
General Discussion
1 SSD VS 2 HDD Raid0(+backup)
Hi all. (Changed thread title) i want to buy a SSD (around 85-120) for JUST the OS and programs. Pagefile and everything else on the 1TBs., and keep the raid-1 for movies/games/ISO`s/ECT. The SSD im looking at: This Anyone have one of these w/ some numbers? SUPER TALENT UltraDrive ME...
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:13.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App