Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Helping a friend build a PC

14 Mar 2010   #1
Thorsen

Win7 Home Premium 64x
 
 
Helping a friend build a PC

AMD Vision Barebone Kit - Asus M4A785-M Mobo, AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core CPU, Kingston 2GB DDR2 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 4350 Video Card, Western Digital HD, PowerUp ATX Black Case with 450W PSU at TigerDirect.com

A friend of mine just purchased this Barebones Kit from TigerDirect.

He also purchased the extra 2G of RAM and Win7 Home

First off, I know that the Ram is DDR2, and the PSU is underpowered. He is going to upgrade these later down the road (I advised to get the DDR3, but he has a low-budget and will have money down the line for upgrades.)

I have not built a PC so some of this is new to me. As for previous experience, I have repaired some things replaced HDD's, and cpu's gpu's etc.

Can people here give me some guidance on tips and tricks for new installs. When I do the install I would like to refer to this thread and this forum for my info.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 Mar 2010   #2
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

What exactly are you asking? Step by step? I can walk you through it over msn.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2010   #3
ccatlett1984

 

If you've replaced those parts, building a pc is not much different. That PSU is just fine for the components that he's getting. He can't upgrade to DDR3, he'd have to get a different motherboard for that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

14 Mar 2010   #4
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ccatlett1984 View Post
If you've replaced those parts, building a pc is not much different. That PSU is just fine for the components that he's getting. He can't upgrade to DDR3, he'd have to get a different motherboard for that.
PSU is junk. OEM PSU's are the worst. No APFC, little or no voltage protection and ridiculously inefficient.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2010   #5
IggyAZ

Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit)
 
 
First time installer

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Thorsen View Post
AMD Vision Barebone Kit - Asus M4A785-M Mobo, AMD Athlon II X2 240 Dual Core CPU, Kingston 2GB DDR2 RAM, XFX Radeon HD 4350 Video Card, Western Digital HD, PowerUp ATX Black Case with 450W PSU at TigerDirect.com

A friend of mine just purchased this Barebones Kit from TigerDirect.

He also purchased the extra 2G of RAM and Win7 Home

First off, I know that the Ram is DDR2, and the PSU is underpowered. He is going to upgrade these later down the road (I advised to get the DDR3, but he has a low-budget and will have money down the line for upgrades.)

I have not built a PC so some of this is new to me. As for previous experience, I have repaired some things replaced HDD's, and cpu's gpu's etc.

Can people here give me some guidance on tips and tricks for new installs. When I do the install I would like to refer to this thread and this forum for my info.

Hi and Welcome
The only advise I can give you is that you checkout all the hardware to see if it is Win7 Compatible. You can do this by getting all the manufacturers names and model numbers.
Motherboard
Video Card
CD/DVD drive
HD
Then go to Microsoft and check to see what they say for a 32bit system.
LINK to MS Page


After you verify all the hardware you can also check software if he /she plans to add after the install.

After that is done I would go and find the latest drivers for the Hardware and copy to a CD and keep on hand if you need them.
If the Motherboard has Vista drivers on its CD that comes with the motherboard most probably that will get you going until you decide later to update to newer drivers. I would just try and get the system stable with no problems before adding anything more.

After the basic install of Win7 hopefully you have a high speed connection to the internet.

You need to add a virus/malware protection.
I suggest getting Microsoft Security Essentials because it is quick to install and Free and if you want to add something different later it is easy to uninstall.
Link to Download

You need to register Win7 online.

You will need to get a few updates from MS.

This is the basics I would use.
Hope this helps and please stop back if you have any other questions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2010   #6
ccatlett1984

 

While its not a PC Power & Cooling PSU by any means, its just fine for a budget build. The OP did say they planned on upgrading the PSU down the road. That one will last just fine for two years or so.

Go with win7 x64, not 32bit. All parts will work fine in win7 and you will need it with the 4gb of ram.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2010   #7
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Don't use the disc unless it has a win 7 logo/something similar on it. You need the latest chipset drivers direct from the manufacturer for 7, otherwise something may break. GPU drivers come first, then chipset, then try the guides in my sig.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2010   #8
Frostmourne

Windows 7 Ultimate x86-64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ccatlett1984 View Post
While its not a PC Power & Cooling PSU by any means, its just fine for a budget build. The OP did say they planned on upgrading the PSU down the road. That one will last just fine for two years or so.

Go with win7 x64, not 32bit. All parts will work fine in win7 and you will need it with the 4gb of ram.
Hopefully it won't blow.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2010   #9
win7clutz

Windows 7 Ultimate (64)
 
 

Darn, it's just an inexpensive budget box. No sense in attacking the hardware, or going to MS trying to verify that "Yamaguchi" is on their compatibility list. Just through the box together, it'll be fine and if not he can work through it with TigerDirect.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2010   #10
gregrocker

 

Windows 7 installer is driver-complete. You dont' need to go changing out drivers given by the installer unless there are performance problems or lags.

Missing drivers should arrive via Windows Update or can be found at manufacturer's Support Downloads webpage for that model device.

Install walkthrough with screenshots here: Clean Install Windows 7
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Helping a friend build a PC




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Friend Wants to Build A New PC
I have a friend who would like to build a new PC for himself. His budget is around $1500. (He lives in LA & I live in a different city). He'll more than likely buy the parts either at a store or an online website, I won't be building it for him though. I am just going to give him a list of...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
BSODīs and nothing is helping
Hello I have been having BSOD problems since i built my computer about 1 and a half years ago and I have been trying everything i can imagine to fix it. I am running a full retail Win 7 Os that i have been using since i built the computer but i have been forced to re install it a few times last...
BSOD Help and Support
Helping the Stupid
So, since my searchfu seems to not be with me, I thought I'd seek advice on my biggest concern with windows 7: Shutting down. I'm an IT Guy, and as such, avoid the mouse as much as possible. Key strokes are infinitely faster. However, I've found myself in a bind now: I can't do my classic "Hit...
General Discussion
Infected while helping :(
While searching for a solution to a problem poster here on sevenforums I found an answer that was close to what I needed, it was on another tech forum. Only thing was as soon as I closed the page down I was informed by MSE that I was infected. After a full system scan, and some 750,000 files...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Đ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:40.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App