Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dual OS -- XP W7

22 Mar 2010   #11
smarteyeball

 
 

copy NTLDR.sys, NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini from the XP installation to C:\ (the Seven installation)

Edit the boot.ini and change the partition(1) to partition (2) to reflect the physical partition location of XP on the extended volume.

The boot data has to be on a primary system partition, which is currently the partition Seven is installed on.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Mar 2010   #12
escape

Duals> \Xp sp2 . W7 64-bit ultimate/-> extra W7 32-bit ult (not instald)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by smarteyeball View Post
copy NTLDR.sys, NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini from the XP installation to C:\ (the Seven installation)

Edit the boot.ini and change the partition(1) to partition (2) to reflect the physical partition location of XP on the extended volume.

The boot data has to be on a primary system partition, which is currently the partition Seven is installed on.

where can i find those files in XP? ( NTLDR.sys, NTDETECT.COM and Boot.ini)
how to edit boot.ini and change the partition(1) to partition (2) to reflect the physical partition location of XP on the extended volume?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #13
escape

Duals> \Xp sp2 . W7 64-bit ultimate/-> extra W7 32-bit ult (not instald)
 
 
Hi dual os missing or not loading (XP)



am using easyBCD 2.0 beta and added a new entry of xp but when i rebooted and choose
Microsoft XP this appears--->

my OS choose list was like:
Earlier version of Windows
Windows 7


Attached Thumbnails
Dual OS -- XP  W7-untitled.png   Dual OS -- XP  W7-untitled1.png   Dual OS -- XP  W7-untitled2.png   Dual OS -- XP  W7-untitled3.png   Dual OS -- XP  W7-abcd0001.jpg  

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Mar 2010   #14
iseeuu

 
 

Hello again, escape!

Would you help me understand something here? I noticed your D partition is 129GB in size, correct? Is that where you have installed XP? Partition D has only 11GB of free space left, that means there is 118GB of data stores there? A new XP install only takes up 5 or 6GB, so which OS, XP or 7 was installed first? What happened to break the boot menu?

Thanks!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #15
escape

Duals> \Xp sp2 . W7 64-bit ultimate/-> extra W7 32-bit ult (not instald)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Hello again, escape!

Would you help me understand something here? I noticed your D partition is 129GB in size, correct? Is that where you have installed XP? Partition D has only 11GB of free space left, that means there is 118GB of data stores there? A new XP install only takes up 5 or 6GB, so which OS, XP or 7 was installed first? What happened to break the boot menu?

Thanks!
Robert
Hello again Robert!

just woke up. Yes its 129, the HDD was like 150+ GBs in total though not showing 160Gb exactly. Yes partition D: is XP-- at first I installed XP then i created 2 partitions
C: and F: i putted XP on F: which is D: now its in 140 Gbs something then later I installed windows 7 on C: 20 GBs making it default OS of my CPU
its working
Choose a version of windows:
Earlier version of windows
Windows 7

It was like this lately

but when I reinstalled my W7 on C:
my XP was missing on boot OS choose list
i tried the repair thing
but not the cmd-
repair does not show up today? when i F8 W7? the disc is in
yet i never tried cmd editing while repairing
etc and BCD's
Windows 7--
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #16
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by escape View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Hello again, escape!

Would you help me understand something here? I noticed your D partition is 129GB in size, correct? Is that where you have installed XP? Partition D has only 11GB of free space left, that means there is 118GB of data stores there? A new XP install only takes up 5 or 6GB, so which OS, XP or 7 was installed first? What happened to break the boot menu?

Thanks!
Robert
Hello again Robert!

just woke up. Yes its 129, the HDD was like 150+ GBs in total though not showing 160Gb exactly. Yes partition D: is XP-- at first I installed XP then i created 2 partitions
C: and F: i putted XP on F: which is D: now its in 140 Gbs something then later I installed windows 7 on C: 20 GBs making it default OS of my CPU
its working
Choose a version of windows:
Earlier version of windows
Windows 7

It was like this lately

but when I reinstalled my W7 on C:
my XP was missing on boot OS choose list
i tried the repair thing
but not the cmd-
repair does not show up today? when i F8 W7? the disc is in
yet i never tried cmd editing while repairing
etc and BCD's
Windows 7--
OK, thanks, that clears up a lot for me. I think what has happened is the XP boot code was in the Windows 7 partition and when you reinstalled 7, you erased the boot code.

This link explains exactly how to find the three files (boot.ini, NTLDR, and NTDETECT.COM) and put them in your Windows 7 partition. One difference is you do not have the 100MB "System Reserved" partition. This is OK. Just ignore those parts and find the three files, put them in your Windows 7 partition as shown, and use the command prompt to manually create the XP entry in you current menu.

https://www.sevenforums.com/installat...ndows-7-a.html

Cheers!
Robert
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #17
smarteyeball

 
 

Those files are found in XP's root directory. (D:\)

They are hidden system files but should already be visible. If not, Tools> Folder Options > View , Tick Show hidden files and folders and untick Hide protected operating system files


To edit, just use notepad.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #18
Zomby88

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

If there is any way you can do it, reinstall and always install the older OS 1st, on the C: Partition. You should have no problems that way. Then install Easy BCD on Windows 7 and rename Earlier Versions of windows to Windows XP Professional/Home and make the boot time about 10 seconds. I`ve done this about a dozen times with no complaints yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #19
gregrocker

 

The tool to use is EasyBCD 2.0. Add XP on Add/Remove tab, accept boot files offered, Save, Reboot.

Can you post back a screenshot of your full Disk Mgmt drive map, using Snipping Tool in Start menu, attaching file using paper clip in Reply Box?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Mar 2010   #20
escape

Duals> \Xp sp2 . W7 64-bit ultimate/-> extra W7 32-bit ult (not instald)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by escape View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by iseeuu View Post
Hello again, escape!

Would you help me understand something here? I noticed your D partition is 129GB in size, correct? Is that where you have installed XP? Partition D has only 11GB of free space left, that means there is 118GB of data stores there? A new XP install only takes up 5 or 6GB, so which OS, XP or 7 was installed first? What happened to break the boot menu?

Thanks!
Robert
Hello again Robert!

just woke up. Yes its 129, the HDD was like 150+ GBs in total though not showing 160Gb exactly. Yes partition D: is XP-- at first I installed XP then i created 2 partitions
C: and F: i putted XP on F: which is D: now its in 140 Gbs something then later I installed windows 7 on C: 20 GBs making it default OS of my CPU
its working
Choose a version of windows:
Earlier version of windows
Windows 7

It was like this lately

but when I reinstalled my W7 on C:
my XP was missing on boot OS choose list
i tried the repair thing
but not the cmd-
repair does not show up today? when i F8 W7? the disc is in
yet i never tried cmd editing while repairing
etc and BCD's
Windows 7--
OK, thanks, that clears up a lot for me. I think what has happened is the XP boot code was in the Windows 7 partition and when you reinstalled 7, you erased the boot code.

This link explains exactly how to find the three files (boot.ini, NTLDR, and NTDETECT.COM) and put them in your Windows 7 partition. One difference is you do not have the 100MB "System Reserved" partition. This is OK. Just ignore those parts and find the three files, put them in your Windows 7 partition as shown, and use the command prompt to manually create the XP entry in you current menu.

https://www.sevenforums.com/installat...ndows-7-a.html

Cheers!
Robert

hey there's a problem my D: (XP) in Disk Management says its a logical drive
when i right click , it says change driver letter paths , format .
there's no / mark as active / btw i finished creating system reserved partition S:
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dual OS -- XP W7




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Dual Boot menu still present even tho im not dual booting
Hi, So i was dual booting 2 windows 7 of my computer as one of them stuff up so i was transfering all my data over to the new windows 7. I use partion wizard to delete the old windows 7 and extend the size of the new windows 7. No every time i start my PC up i get presented with the dual...
Installation & Setup
Need advice for wiping entire system dual that dual boots ubuntu.
I'm going to be completely wipe my laptop harddrive and reinstall windows. My harddrive has two partitions right now, a windows partition and an Ubuntu partition. I want to: 1. Format Ubuntu Partition 2. Format windows partition 2. reinstall windows Is there anything I have to be aware of...
Installation & Setup
dual graphics cards, dual monitors, ati crossfireX
i have 2 ati radeon hd 4850's. right now they are connected with the crossfirex bridges and i'm only using one monitor and running crossfirex. i'm thinking of getting a second monitor for better gaming/seeing more stuff in flight sim X. what i can't find is how to use 2 monitors with 2 cards....
Graphic Cards
windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives
hello, i have some questions regarding dual booting windows 7 home premium x64 with linux fedora 14 on dual independantly dedicated drives. i am a college student with moderate computer (windows) knowledge but am doing software development and would like to play around with some linux for a class....
General Discussion
How do I keep Win 7, Dump XP from dual drive, dual boot
As currently configured, XP is on drive C:, Win 7 was added to drive E:, and the system is currently run as a dual boot. Attempting to boot without the XP drive present will yield a "NTLDR is missing" error very early in the boot process. I have already tried the following: (1) I moved the...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:49.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App