Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Dual Boot with XP

24 Mar 2010   #11
rcblythe

Windows XP
 
 

Hi Robert, it is a Dell Dimension XPS 600 Gen 3 - 3.4GHz and I am somewhat familiar with the bios but not sure about these two points. I did read in the manual the following, "NOTE: If you insert a boot device and restart the computer, this option appears in the system setup menu. To boot from a USB memory device, select the USB device and move it so it becomes the first device in the list." so does that mean it will show both drives after I install the Win 7 on the one and then hookup the other and reboot? I have changed the boot sequence many times but all I have seen is boot from CD ROM, SATA drive, floppy drive, USB device etc... but it only lists the one SATA hard drive but will that change when I have two of them each with an OS? I am not too familiar with Win 7 yet so I don't know about it's boot manager but I have seen the one in EasyBCD so I imagine it is the same?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Mar 2010   #12
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rcblythe View Post
Hi Robert, it is a Dell Dimension XPS 600 Gen 3 - 3.4GHz and I am somewhat familiar with the bios but not sure about these two points. I did read in the manual the following, "NOTE: If you insert a boot device and restart the computer, this option appears in the system setup menu. To boot from a USB memory device, select the USB device and move it so it becomes the first device in the list." so does that mean it will show both drives after I install the Win 7 on the one and then hookup the other and reboot? I have changed the boot sequence many times but all I have seen is boot from CD ROM, SATA drive, floppy drive, USB device etc... but it only lists the one SATA hard drive but will that change when I have two of them each with an OS? I am not too familiar with Win 7 yet so I don't know about it's boot manager but I have seen the one in EasyBCD so I imagine it is the same?
I can't say for sure because I don't own one, but the Dell web site says that the boot menu key is F12. So instead of pressing F2 to enter the BIOS, you would press F12 and a boot menu would appear allowing you to choose. Now Dell severely limits the options available in their BIOS menus, but you should see all the hard drives in the boot menu so you can choose.

Another temporary option is to actually enter the BIOS and set the hard drive of choice as first in boot order. Usually this is two steps. Step one is to set hard drive as first in boot order. Step two is to set the order of the hard drives.

One last option, when all else fails, I have connected the hard drive to the SATA post that makes it show up to the BIOS as the first hard drive. Hope you won't have to go that far though.

Cheers!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #13
King64

WIN,XP,7,VISTA,SERVER
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rcblythe View Post
Hi, I hope someone can help me with loading Windows 7 and keep my Windows XP. I have Widows XP installed on my C drive and recently installed another 2TB drive which I wanted to load Windows 7 on. I formatted and partitioned the new drive in XP and have them as D and E and want to install the Win 7 on partition D. When I boot from the Win 7 CD and start the install it gets partially through the install and on one of the reboots it doesn't reboot, it just has a blank screen. I tried it several times and it does the same thing. I tried to start it in safe mode but it says that it has not finished installing and to reboot but ends the same way. I hope you can help!

Open this PDF file and read how you solve your problem.

PDF FILE:DUALLBOOT XP_7.pdf


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Mar 2010   #14
gregrocker

 

Set the preferred HD to boot first in BIOS boot order, after DVD drive.

Then use the F12 BIOS Boot Menu shortcut key at bootup to trigger the other HD instead.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #15
rcblythe

Windows XP
 
 

Hi Iseeuu, Ok so far it is good and I was able to install Win 7 without a problem and can boot into Win 7 just fine but my only problem now is when I boot into Win XP it is giving me an error saying to put in the XP disk because there is a problem with /ntldr so can I do this without messing up the Win 7 OS? Thanks King64 I will look at your link as soon as I install my Acrobat.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #16
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rcblythe View Post
Hi Iseeuu, Ok so far it is good and I was able to install Win 7 without a problem and can boot into Win 7 just fine but my only problem now is when I boot into Win XP it is giving me an error saying to put in the XP disk because there is a problem with /ntldr so can I do this without messing up the Win 7 OS? Thanks King64 I will look at your link as soon as I install my Acrobat.
OK this is not hard to fix. First, what happens when the hard drive with XP is the only hard drive plugged in and you boot the computer?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #17
rcblythe

Windows XP
 
 

Not sure but I could try it, almost posative that it would boot fine. I did notice that when I am in Win 7 and look at the drives the one with XP does not show so does this mean anything?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #18
iseeuu

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rcblythe View Post
Not sure but I could try it, almost posative that it would boot fine. I did notice that when I am in Win 7 and look at the drives the one with XP does not show so does this mean anything?
That is not a good sign, no. If you can boot to XP with no problem when it is the only hard drive, the fix should be easy.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #19
gregrocker

 

Did you install Win7 with XP HD uplugged?

Make sure XP HD is assigned a letter in Win7 Disk Mgmt.

While both HD's are plugged in: Can you post back a screenshot of your full Win7 Disk management drive map, using Snipping Tool in Start Menu attaching file using Paper Clip in Reply Box.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #20
rcblythe

Windows XP
 
 

OK so I looked in the Win 7 disk manager and there is no letter assigned to XP so what letter do I assign it?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Dual Boot with XP




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Win 7 , Ubuntu dual boot, windows wont boot, startup disk doesnt help
Hi a couple of months ago my system crashed, windows 7 wouldnt boot, and I misplaced my installation disk. I had the problems several times since obtaining the computer several years ago. (Lenovo IDeaPad y450). I attributed the problem to what I believed was a bad hard disk, so I replaced it with a...
General Discussion
Windows 7 dual boot dual disks
Hi If everything goes well I'll be building my first gaming desktop later this year. One of the scenarios I'm considering is having 4 hard disks and two OSs, a1, a2, b1, b2 the a disks would be 128 SSDs each with its copy of Win7, the b disks would be 1 TB HDDs with data. I want a1 (when...
Installation & Setup
Dual boot with Windows 7, and XP no longer appears in Boot Manager
Hello, I have been using windows xp for a long time. I have two actual HD, one partitioned into 4, and another without any partition, giving me a total of 5. I was using two instance of windows xp installed in drive C and another in drive E (both are actually located in just one HD, but the...
Installation & Setup
Recover Windows 7 boot on dual boot system with GRUB masterboot
Hi, I have a dual-boot system Ubuntu/Windows 7. The Master boot loader is GRUB. It worked fine until yesterday when, for some reason, Windows 7 refused to load anymore. I tried to repair with chkdsk, found and repaired some disk errors, but now the boot loader is damaged. The problem I have is...
General Discussion
windows 7 and linux fedora dual boot with dual drives
hello, i have some questions regarding dual booting windows 7 home premium x64 with linux fedora 14 on dual independantly dedicated drives. i am a college student with moderate computer (windows) knowledge but am doing software development and would like to play around with some linux for a class....
General Discussion
dual boot , reinstall the windows and lost dual boot
Hello Everyone , i was wondering if anyone could help me in this matter : i have windows7 and Redhat on my Laptop , i have removed and reinstalled the Windows7 last night and after that lost the Dual boot option , in fact the system is booting on windows7 and there is no option to chose...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App