Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 boot issue

24 May 2010   #11
Combination

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
At this point, I would burn to CD free Partition Wizard bootable CD.

Boot PW, select 1 for screen res, then select Disk tab> Rebuild MBR to see if this will then start Win7.

Next choose from Disk tab>Recover Partition to see if it can recover the Partition data for you.

If not, then also try FREE Rescue Kit Express | PARAGON Software Group - free partition software, hard disk partitioning bootable CD to Recover partition data.

If neither of these work, you can try with Partition Wizard CD to shrink Win7 partition enough to install a Win7 or XP rescue install there, to access your data on other partition and copy it to external or DVD or into gradually-resized rescue partition.

First read up on your Recovery partition to know exactly what your options are by running it. You may be able to have it reinstall factory Win7 to a specified partition (you create with PW CD), or if it sees data on failed Win7 partition it may allow you to back it up first. Consult the manual for your model on Support>Downloads webpage of manufacturer, or chat or call your tech support to inquire.
Okay. I tried this a number of time. I scanned the HD twice and it showed no errors. I tried rebuilding the MBR several times, but it didn't change anything.

I used the recovery wizard and it shows my first partition as "lost/deleted", which I couldn't fix using the Partition Wizard.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 May 2010   #12
gregrocker

 

If you feel that data is lost, then you can try as a last resort a data recovery software like Recuva.

If you rightclick Explore the partition and it shows files, you might want to try shrinking the partition to install a Rescue Win7 so that you can retrieve the files that way.

There are other options in my last post for you to exhaust before running the Factory Recovery.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 May 2010   #13
Combination

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you feel that data is lost, then you can try as a last resort a data recovery software like Recuva.

If you rightclick Explore the partition and it shows files, you might want to try shrinking the partition to install a Rescue Win7 so that you can retrieve the files that way.

There are other options in my last post for you to exhaust before running the Factory Recovery.
Alright, I tried using the Rescue Kit express which didn't help much, however, I noticed an interesting thing, which, upon repeated use of Partition Wizard seems to repeat - it cannot find a boot.ini on any one of my partitions.

in addition, using both Rescue Kit and Partition Wizard show that my partition has 60GB available, while everywhere else, it doesn't show anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 May 2010   #14
gregrocker

 

Using PW CD, rightclick on Win7 partition to "Explore" file to see if they still exist. If they do not show up there then your remaining option is data recovery software like Recuva. A new topic in General forum will get you more specialized help in data recovery from erased or failed partition.

If files still do exist then suggest you Resize Win7 partition by about 20gb, create a new partition there to install OS to salvage your files as suggested earlier.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #15
Combination

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Using PW CD, rightclick on Win7 partition to "Explore" file to see if they still exist. If they do not show up there then your remaining option is data recovery software like Recuva. A new topic in General forum will get you more specialized help in data recovery from erased or failed partition.

If files still do exist then suggest you Resize Win7 partition by about 20gb, create a new partition there to install OS to salvage your files as suggested earlier.
Well, after installing the other partition it seems to work again. Most of my settings are lost, but I can just set them again. More importantly, however, all of my files are still there.

Thanks for all the help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2010   #16
gregrocker

 

If you'll post back a screenshot of your current Disk Management drive map and listings, we can advise you the best way to copy over your files into the OS partition and then delete the abandoned Win 7 partition.

Use the Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach file using paper clip in Reply Box.

Do you have an external or DVD's to back up your current files now? What is the approx disk size of the files?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2010   #17
Combination

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you'll post back a screenshot of your current Disk Management drive map and listings, we can advise you the best way to copy over your files into the OS partition and then delete the abandoned Win 7 partition.

Use the Snipping Tool in Start Menu, attach file using paper clip in Reply Box.

Do you have an external or DVD's to back up your current files now? What is the approx disk size of the files?

No need, really. I've managed to fix everything and delete the abandoned partition on my own. I've done it when I had a similar problem a while ago.

So, yes, thank you for the help. My problem is solved now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2010   #18
gregrocker

 

Suggest you save a Win7 backup image externally along with your regularly backed-up files. This way if you bork Win7 again you can reimage the HD in 15-20 minutes then copy your latest files back in.

Glad it worked.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 boot issue




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Uninstalled Linux OS dual boot with Windows 7 now boot issue.
Tried Ubuntu & didn't like it so wanted to remove it completely. After deleting & recovering that portion of (G: ) which is where Ubuntu was installed, I couldn't boot in Windows 7. I was able to use my install disk to load into repair. The OS it found was- OS -Windows 7 Partition Size -...
General Discussion
Windows 7 boot issue with master boot record
Hello, My Old hard drive has Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit installed on it. I purchased the Windows 7 Home Premium upgrade and ran the upgrade. Removed the Vista hard drive, and can not start Windows 7. Only issue on this system, I have upgraded two other systems without any problem. SSD...
Installation & Setup
Windows Boot Issue- Possible Ext HD?
Hi everyone so I am not sure if this is the right location for this post. for a little bit of background ive been having BSOD...a lot and thought it was either a bad internal SSD or bad memory. Well ive done a bunch of changes and updates and for the past couple of days the BSOD has seemed to...
Hardware & Devices
Please Help! Windows 7 boot up issue..
Hi, I just installed an intel 80gig SSD. I installed windows 7 on it. Everytime I boot up my computer it says "Windows failed to start" then gives me the option to do a repair restart or start windows normally... I select start windows normally and it works fine... but why is this happening? One...
General Discussion
Windows 7 x64 dvd doesn't boot up -Not boot order issue
Hello, I recently purchased a copy of x64 Windows 7 Business. I downloaded it from the Online store DigitalRiver as part of the students deal. Here is my system information: Current operating system: Windows Vista x32 Business Processor: Intel Quad Core 2 Q6600 2.4 GHz Memory: 4GB...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7: Boot-up issue! PLEASE HELP!
Hello Windows Seven Users,Today I downloaded Windows 7 Ultimate. Before that I had Windows Vista Home Premium. I put the installation disc and upgraded...the installation worked perfectly but when my computer restarted for the final time(meaning the end of the installation process) before I get to...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:43.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App