Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem setting up dual monitors with 7/GeForce GTS240 Graphics Card

24 Jun 2010   #21
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Ya, 1 Monitor will have to be DVI or HDMI and the other has to be VGA.

that USB adapter will work as well, but I would try to invest in a better monitor.

But, buying that adapter will give you the option of running 3 screens down the road if you buy a DVI/HDMI monitor.
Be carefull, just because there are three connectors doesn't mean it will support three monitors. The video card has to have the circuitry to support it. You may be able to connect three monitors to that motherboard but end up with each monitor showing the same screen (mirrored) with no way to change it. I've seen lots of (low end) video cards with VGA and DVI that didn't support dual monitors.

PainfulGlory, read the manual for that PC and see what it says as far as video support. If no paper manual came with it have a look for a PDF version on the CD that should have come with it.
I never said 3 monitors, just 2. And we know it has the circuitry for a Digital and Analog display built in, since there is a DVI-D, HDMI (these most likely share the circuit so you can only use one or the other), and the VGA.

I just looked up motherboard and it also has only a DVI-D connector, as well as a VGA, HDMI and Display Port.




Attached Images
Problem setting up dual monitors with 7/GeForce GTS240 Graphics Card-asus.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Jun 2010   #22
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Ya, 1 Monitor will have to be DVI or HDMI and the other has to be VGA.

that USB adapter will work as well, but I would try to invest in a better monitor.

But, buying that adapter will give you the option of running 3 screens down the road if you buy a DVI/HDMI monitor.
Be carefull, just because there are three connectors doesn't mean it will support three monitors. The video card has to have the circuitry to support it. You may be able to connect three monitors to that motherboard but end up with each monitor showing the same screen (mirrored) with no way to change it. I've seen lots of (low end) video cards with VGA and DVI that didn't support dual monitors.

PainfulGlory, read the manual for that PC and see what it says as far as video support. If no paper manual came with it have a look for a PDF version on the CD that should have come with it.
I never said 3 monitors, just 2. And we know it has the circuitry for a Digital and Analog display built in, since there is a DVI-D, HDMI (these most likely share the circuit so you can only use one or the other), and the VGA.

I just looked up motherboard and it also has only a DVI-D connector, as well as a VGA, HDMI and Display Port.
Fair enough, but the same holds true for VGA and DVI. Just because it has both connectors doesn't necessarily mean you can use both of them at the same time and get seperat displays on each monitor. The video card has to have dual monitor support for that too work. It's been my experience that with onboard video, that the VGA and DVI connectors just feed back to the one common source. You can think of it this way, the digital signal feeds the DVI and then the same signal just goes though an analog converter and feeds the VGA connector. They just supstituted DVI-D/VGA connector for a DVI-I connector so you don't have to use an adapter to connect a VGA monitor. I only mention it because I would want to know for sure before I went out and bought another monitor.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #23
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

I know what you are saying. I did previously type that if he could borrow a DVI monitor, to test it out, but I left the room and came back and changed what I had written.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Jun 2010   #24
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Hey guys how about we wait to hear back from PainfulGlory as to whether he is connecting the monitors to the onboard connectors, or to the video card.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #25
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
I know what you are saying. I did previously type that if he could borrow a DVI monitor, to test it out, but I left the room and came back and changed what I had written.
The motherboard manual "should' say if it supports dual monitors. I say should because some of them suck big time in the amount of info thats in them. I've seen some translations in to english that just leave you shaking your head and wondering WTF does that mean.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #26
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Hey guys how about we wait to hear back from PainfulGlory as to whether he is connecting the monitors to the onboard connectors, or to the video card.
https://www.sevenforums.com/804735-post10.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #27
stormy13
Microsoft MVP

Win 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Except that according to the specs for his computer and that he said it came with a GT 240 in it in the first post, he should not be connecting the monitors to the onboard connectors.

P.S. For what it's worth that motherboard does not have onboard video, the "onboard video" is actually integrated into the CPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Jun 2010   #28
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by stormy13 View Post
Except that according to the specs for his computer and that he said it came with a GT 240 in it in the first post, he should not be connecting the monitors to the onboard connectors.

P.S. For what it's worth that motherboard does not have onboard video, the "onboard video" is actually integrated into the CPU.
If the video ports are on the motherboard, then it's considered onboard video.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2010   #29
PainfulGlory

Windows 7
 
 

Hi guys, thanks for all the help so far, although I seem to be getting nowhere fast, lol

I seem to have linked the wrond PC from Aria, in my order history it says that one, but I did pay 469 not 524, so I think the model I got seems to have been discontinued (i've had it about 6 weeks, but was away for 3 so only now had chance to tackle it.)

It does NOT have the seperate graphics card ports, it only has the ones ive linked in the 2 pics I put up. Grr

Was busy last night so over the weekend need to try a couple of things

1, borrow a monitor with DVI-D connections to try that.

2, read the manual to look to see if it supports dual monitors.

3, try and find a VGA to USB adapter to see if that works (but I cant find one that works/supports windows 7)

Arrgh!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jun 2010   #30
PainfulGlory

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
EDIT: The pin layout for the two adapters in your posted picture look like DVI-D (Single Link) and DVI-D (Dual Link)? Whats on the other side?

They are DVD-D (single link) & DVI-D (dual link), both have VGA connections.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem setting up dual monitors with 7/GeForce GTS240 Graphics Card




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Will this graphics card support dual monitors?
Currently set up with a Philips Briliance 190SW and about to buy a new monitor. Figured it wouldn't support the resolution so I had to go with a lower-cost monitor. Will my graphics card support dual monitoring? This is the one Will it work? And by any chance this one can be compatible? Sorry I...
Graphic Cards
Problem after installing Geforce GT 610 graphics card
I'm really new to graphics cards, so please bear with me. I installed a PNY NVIDIA Geforce GT 610 after experiencing integrated video problems on my HP P7-1202 system. It works OK, but I get a pop up message saying: "The AMD VISION Control Center is not supported by the driver version of your ...
Graphic Cards
Graphics Card Problem - NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS
Hello… This is my first time on the forum, thanks in advance for your help. I have a GeForce 8800 GTS graphics card in a machine that I built and I can’t get the graphic card to work properly. I’ve installed and enabled the drivers – when I reboot the machine, I get the Windows 7 startup screen...
Graphic Cards
computer wont recognize original graphics card for dual monitors
i've never tried to hook up dual monitors before so its probably something simple. i installed a new graphics card a while back and haven't used the original for months, and now that im trying to hook up dual monitors it wont even recognize the original in the device manager, or that i have a...
Graphic Cards
Three Monitors Dual Graphics Card question
I have a question in regards to having three monitors. I know that with my single 6850, if I want three monitors, I have to either do DVI, DVI, and DisplayPort, or DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort. I am getting a 2nd 6850 mid-week. Will I be able to do DVI-DVI-HDMI with a 2nd card or am I still in the...
Graphic Cards
Problem with updating Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT graphics card
Hi, I successfully installed Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit by choosing custom install on my Sony Vaio VGN-NR21S. I didnt delete my Windows Vista Home Edition 32-bit recovery partition. I am having difficulty in updating the graphics card which is a Nvidia Geforce 8400M GT. I downloaded a desktop...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:39.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App