Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Is there a way to get Windows 7 Starter back on to my netbook?

04 Jul 2010   #11
gregrocker

 

You are trying to run Recovery. Read the Manual on the Support Downloads webpage for your model, trigger Recovery with the keys given. If it then won't run, it has been disabled by your other installs.

If you unhide Hidden and SYstem files at Control Panel>Folder Options>View and post back a screenshot of the folders in the REcovery Partition, we can help you navigate to the image file which can be mounted and run to reimage your factory installation. Use Snipping Tool in Start Menu to attach file with paper clip in reply box.

Otherwise locate or borrow a Win7 install DVD of any version, extract the ISO using ImgBurn, run the ei.cfg removal tool to unlock all versions, then burn to DVD or write to flash stick. Reinstall Starter with the key on the COA sticker on the computer.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Jul 2010   #12
scokeev9

Windows 7 Starter
 
 

The computer is working!!!! My Win7 OS has been deleted! I need to get it back!!!!!!!!! WHY DON"T YOU UNDERSTAND!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #13
scokeev9

Windows 7 Starter
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
You are trying to run Recovery. Read the Manual on the Support Downloads webpage for your model, trigger Recovery with the keys given. If it then won't run, it has been disabled by your other installs.

If you unhide Hidden and SYstem files at Control Panel>Folder Options>View and post back a screenshot of the folders in the REcovery Partition, we can help you navigate to the image file which can be mounted and run to reimage your factory installation. Use Snipping Tool in Start Menu to attach file with paper clip in reply box.

Otherwise locate or borrow a Win7 install DVD of any version, extract the ISO using ImgBurn, run the ei.cfg removal tool to unlock all versions, then burn to DVD or write to flash stick. Reinstall Starter with the key on the COA sticker on the computer.
Thankyou! Finally someone knows what they're talking about. I just need to get the Microsoft Windows 7 DVD. Then that will work. Found the product key too. Thanks for the help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Jul 2010   #14
gregrocker

 

Most computers have a Recovery Parttion which holds an image of the factory install, which you can run by tapping an F-key at bootup to reimage your HD with the factory install. If it has been disabled by your installs, the image file can be retrieved and mounted to run.

However, if you are good with the clean reinstall then go that route since it is a much cleaner install anyway.

The installer is mostly driver-complete, with newer arriving quickly via optional Windows Updates. Any drivers then missing can be found on the Support Downloads webpage for your model.

If you had your Recovery Disks (which can often be made from that partition) then you could extract favorite apps from them using this: https://www.sevenforums.com/installat...tml#post488270 It might even be worth ordering them from HP since they usually send them for only shipping charges.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #15
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scokeev9 View Post
Thankyou! Finally someone knows what they're talking about. I just need to get the Microsoft Windows 7 DVD. Then that will work. Found the product key too. Thanks for the help!
Just out of curiosity, how are you going to handle the DVD? Your netbook has no built-in optical drive. (An external one may be OK, although I doubt that you can boot from it.) I'd suggest the bootable USB flash drive bit. (It has the beneficial side effect of being quicker than installing from the DVD as well.)

The quickest solution would be if your restore partition (hidden) still works. It's invoked by pressing the F11 key during startup:

Repairing a Corrupted Installation Using HP Recovery Manager HP Mini 110-1116NR PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Note that Microsoft probably won't help you, if you contact them. They'll refer you to HP. All OEM Windows installations are supposed to be supported by the hardware builder. The link above includes information about ordering generic recovery disks.

I've seen links online to legitimate downloads of the WIn7 .iso online (such as at MyDigitalLife), but none of the links are for the Starter edition. I don't know whether the ei.cfg trick also covers Starter.

Good luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Jul 2010   #16
gregrocker

 

I just checked and fortunately Starter is included when you unlock all versions in Win7 installer using ei.cfg removal tool.

USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create

Here's another method if that fails, using Win2Flash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srOoGhm-jcI
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #17
scokeev9

Windows 7 Starter
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Otherwise locate or borrow a Win7 install DVD of any version, extract the ISO using ImgBurn, run the ei.cfg removal tool to unlock all versions, then burn to DVD or write to flash stick. Reinstall Starter with the key on the COA sticker on the computer.
@bobkn
As gregrocker said, I can write the ISO to a flash stick, which is what I'm going to do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #18
bobkn

Windows 7 Pro X64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scokeev9 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Otherwise locate or borrow a Win7 install DVD of any version, extract the ISO using ImgBurn, run the ei.cfg removal tool to unlock all versions, then burn to DVD or write to flash stick. Reinstall Starter with the key on the COA sticker on the computer.
@bobkn
As gregrocker said, I can write the ISO to a flash stick, which is what I'm going to do.
I hope that you don't mean that literally. You need to extract the contents of the .iso (the freeware 7Zip can do that; I used the shareware MagicISO) to the flash drive.

Let us know how it works out. Sounds like you're on track.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #19
scokeev9

Windows 7 Starter
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scokeev9 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Otherwise locate or borrow a Win7 install DVD of any version, extract the ISO using ImgBurn, run the ei.cfg removal tool to unlock all versions, then burn to DVD or write to flash stick. Reinstall Starter with the key on the COA sticker on the computer.
@bobkn
As gregrocker said, I can write the ISO to a flash stick, which is what I'm going to do.
I hope that you don't mean that literally. You need to extract the contents of the .iso (the freeware 7Zip can do that; I used the shareware MagicISO) to the flash drive.

Let us know how it works out. Sounds like you're on track.
I've tried just extracting w/ 7zip, using Windows XP, and it didn't show up as being bootable, so Gregrocker found a program that makes the flash stick bootable, and they use the term 'Write', so that's what I mean. Idk why it doesn't work right when I extract the ISO, but I have a solution, so thanks anyway. Still trying to find someone with a Windows 7 installation disc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Jul 2010   #20
theog

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

ME/XP/Vista/Win7
 
 

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Is there a way to get Windows 7 Starter back on to my netbook?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Starter on new Netbook - Urgent Help Please!!
Hi This is my first post as I joined today. I need help with a couple of things (I am confident on most things on my current Windows Home Premium laptop - but I have just changed to a new Netbook which only has Windows Starter!) I have been told to use a usb transfer cable to move most of my...
Installation & Setup
Blue Screen on new MSI U 270 netbook, with windows 7 starter,(HELP)!!!
Hi, all!! Its been a week since I purchased the MSI U 270 netbook,and im kinda in a mess,..plzz assist, Yesterday upon shutting down, the process took longer than usual, windows got jammed , so I closed the netbook, thinking that it would auto power off. Upon gettin back after a minute...
BSOD Help and Support
Problem with reinstalling windows 7 starter on a netbook
Hello, I have a Toshiba NB 255 Netbook. I had decided to install another operating system (Linux) and now have come to the conclusion that I no longer want both windows and linux on my system. I want to go back to just using windows 7. Its windows 7 starter edition. I have literally tried other...
Installation & Setup
Reinstalling Windows 7 Starter to Netbook
At my first installation of Windows 7 to my netbook there were 2 language options: Turkish & English Today I decided to reinstall Win7 from, umm what you call, the partition where is located Windows 7 setup files, the hidden part of the HDD. I pressed F11, it didn't worked. Googled it and I'm...
Installation & Setup
I Keep getting BSOD on my Windows 7 Starter netbook
i just purchased the Asus EE PC 1001p model a few weeks ago and worked fine. But atleast once every 2 days i keep getting a BSOD that appears and restarts my netbook in a few seconds. i only use it for basic internet browsing and ms word and ms excel, i didnt install any complex applications...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows 7 Starter on Asus Netbook
Bought my partner the Asus 1005HA for Xmas, and it runs pretty well. May upgrade ram, but it works. The only minor issue I have experienced is that the small magnifying glass that should come up on the second entry when searching in start menu (the one that says 'see more results' after the...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:16.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App