Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need Help

13 Jul 2010   #1
lordvader

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
Need Help

Hi All

I had Vista & Installed Win7 Ultimate on it (64)

Not able to do my System Image Recovery

i had done a backup on a Ext Usb hard drive

Now its not showing up

My laptop is running slow so was trying
backup also it is not even doing a system restore

I did not make a CD

Please Help


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Jul 2010   #2
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

You can't "system restore" from Windows 7 back to Vista.

Do you mean that you saved an image of Vista on your external hard drive and now want to give up on Windows 7 and return to Vista?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #3
lordvader

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You can't "system restore" from Windows 7 back to Vista.

Do you mean that you saved an image of Vista on your external hard drive and now want to give up on Windows 7 and return to Vista?
Sorry i did not Explain better
Just wanted to inform That I have Installed Win7 on Vista
& had made Win7 back up & want to restore that System Image
to a back date, cos then the comp was running well

Cos im having wiered issues
like when Im checking my E mail & want to
save a E mail in a folder, it doesnt allow me
to click on the Move To drop down menu
I need to close the browser & then open again to
do that action


Thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jul 2010   #4
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Have you attempted to do a system restore to an earlier date?

Not restoring an image, but just using the System Restore capability built into Windows 7. Your system should make a system restore point automatically once or twice a week. That's the quickest way to revert to "how things used to be".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #5
lordvader

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Have you attempted to do a system restore to an earlier date?

Not restoring an image, but just using the System Restore capability built into Windows 7. Your system should make a system restore point automatically once or twice a week. That's the quickest way to revert to "how things used to be".
Not able to run System restore
this is what happens :-


Attached Images
Need Help-untitled.png Need Help-untitled2.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #6
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

Do you get the same error on all available restore points?

Your original post says "my laptop was running slow".

If that is the only reason you are attempting a system restore, I would suggest that you find out why it is running slow. At this point, you have no reason to believe a system restore would help.

What makes you think it is running slow?

When was it last "running fast" and what might have been done to the laptop since that date?

Do you know if you are malware and virus free?

Do you have any other issues or signs of hardware problems?

I have run system restore at least 50 times and had it fail to complete once. I wouldn't get bogged down on why it won't run in your case at this time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #7
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
You can't "system restore" from Windows 7 back to Vista.

Do you mean that you saved an image of Vista on your external hard drive and now want to give up on Windows 7 and return to Vista?
Sorry i did not Explain better
Just wanted to inform That I have Installed Win7 on Vista
& had made Win7 back up & want to restore that System Image
to a back date, cos then the comp was running well

Cos im having wiered issues
like when Im checking my E mail & want to
save a E mail in a folder, it doesnt allow me
to click on the Move To drop down menu
I need to close the browser & then open again to
do that action


Thanks
If you mean from the highlighted part that you did an upgrade and not a clean install, this could be the source of your trouble. A clean install is the preferred way to install Win 7. This will most likely get rid of your problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #8
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Hi Vader !
Are you trying to system restore through the Accessories > system tools > system restore ?

You may have an alternative try. Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs .

Burn it in a disk using ImgBurn , boot it, and try a system restore .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #9
lordvader

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Do you get the same error on all available restore points?

Your original post says "my laptop was running slow".

If that is the only reason you are attempting a system restore, I would suggest that you find out why it is running slow. At this point, you have no reason to believe a system restore would help.

What makes you think it is running slow?

When was it last "running fast" and what might have been done to the laptop since that date?

Do you know if you are malware and virus free?

Do you have any other issues or signs of hardware problems?

I have run system restore at least 50 times and had it fail to complete once. I wouldn't get bogged down on why it won't run in your case at this time.

Doesnt show more Restore points only 1

I felt its running bad for few weeks now
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2010   #10
ignatzatsonic

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64-bit
 
 

We need more info.

Give us some examples of what it used to do but can no longer do as well.

It used to boot in 60 seconds and now it takes 120 seconds? That type of thing.

Have you spent any time looking at task manager when you think it is running particularly slow?

Is it constantly slow, or just slow at certain points in the day?

Did you do an upgrade install or a clean install?

I assume it performed well for some period of time after Windows 7 was installed?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need Help




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:13.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App