Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Low Space Problem

22 Jul 2010   #11
andyandrewjim

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Move you some flies from d to c that is the only way. And use disk cleanup to free up space on the d drive.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jul 2010   #12
kped814

windows 7
 
 

I have attached screen shots for Disk Managment, My Computer and Recovery Partition.

Low Space Problem-disk-manage.jpg

Low Space Problem-my-computer.jpg

Low Space Problem-recovery-partion.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jul 2010   #13
karlsnooks

MS Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit
 
 

Please run Disk Cleanup.

WIN key | type Disk Cleanup | Enter key

I think we even have a tutorial on using Disk Cleanup.
But, I'll leave that search to you.

Be sure when you run Disk Cleanup to specify Drive D:

Recommend that you review, with Windows Explorer, what you have on that D drive and delete the junk there that you are not using and never will use.

Next, get yourself an external USB drive (they are really cheap nowadays) and move those things which you only use once every blue moon over to the external USB drive.

A full drive is extremely unusual.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jul 2010   #14
kped814

windows 7
 
 

I did run it and it say it will free 0 bytes. The only thing on the drive is the partition recovery.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #15
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kped814 View Post
When I open the drive to see what files there are the only thing that shows up is recovery. When I open the recovery file it says warning compaq recovery partion.
If the only file that is there is "Recovery", then you should not have a space problem in that partition. Something does not add up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #16
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

The files in the recovery partition are hidden by design. You need to unhide hidden files and folders to view the contents of the Recovery partition. See this HP tutorial.

Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (D - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #17
esha

Win 7 Professional 64bit
 
 

It seems you have one harddisk that's divided in 2 partitions.
As far as I know it is possible to "shift" the partitions so that one gets smaller and one gets bigger (there are tools for that but I can't remember now what they're called). But I wouldn't risk it with a disk that full anyway.
Your harddisk is quite small. I would put in a second, bigger, one and move all those files over to this new HD. Then you could change the letters so that the new big drive is D: again.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #18
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
The files in the recovery partition are hidden by design. You need to unhide hidden files and folders to view the contents of the Recovery partition. See this HP tutorial.

Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (D - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
Bill, I would not recommend to unhide the files in the recovery partition. That will just confuse the issue. The OP is likely not to be able to decypher all those files in the recovery partition.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #19
Bill2

Windows 7 x64 pro/ Windows 7 x86 Pro/ XP SP3 x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
The files in the recovery partition are hidden by design. You need to unhide hidden files and folders to view the contents of the Recovery partition. See this HP tutorial.

Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (D - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
Bill, I would not recommend to unhide the files in the recovery partition. That will just confuse the issue. The OP is likely not to be able to decypher all those files in the recovery partition.
You may be right, WHS but I doubt that recovery partition is any use with that extra stuff there. In that case, best to delete it completely and recover some hdd space. As a safeguard, OP can order another set of recovery disks from HP-Compaq, they sell them for $10-20.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jul 2010   #20
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bill2 View Post
The files in the recovery partition are hidden by design. You need to unhide hidden files and folders to view the contents of the Recovery partition. See this HP tutorial.

Error: Low Disk Space. You are running out of disk space on Recovery (D - HP Customer Care (United States - English)
Bill, I would not recommend to unhide the files in the recovery partition. That will just confuse the issue. The OP is likely not to be able to decypher all those files in the recovery partition.
You may be right, WHS but I doubt that recovery partition is any use with that extra stuff there. In that case, best to delete it completely and recover some hdd space. As a safeguard, OP can order another set of recovery disks from HP-Compaq, they sell them for $10-20.
Yeah, but look at his post #14 - he says there is nothing other than the recovery folder on it. There is something that does not add up.
Besides, he could always make a few images for backup. Then he would not need the recovery partition either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Low Space Problem




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Problem after reformatting with space
So I just reformatted my computer and out of 465GB on my hard drive I have 293GB free. There is nothing on my computer anymore... I recently defragged my computer aswell a couple weeks before I did a reformat. Would this be the problem? How can I get more free space back because I should not have...
Performance & Maintenance
Space Problem
I've installed Windows 7 Home Basic x86 on a PC. The OS is located on "C" drive as usual.The C drive's size is 21 GB, There is now 6 GB space free after installation,Now I want to install 64 bit version.But the setup isn't letting me to do it. Because it says, there must at least 15 GB free space. ...
Installation & Setup
Problem with space
Hi Friends, I am facing weird issue. Thought some great minds can help me out here. I am using 350 GB hard disk. C: is 100 which I am fine with. D:\ is 250 GB. (Though it is showing as 229 GB). I have used 74 GB of space in it. But "My computer" is showing as 7.8 GB free. I am unable to find...
Performance & Maintenance
disk space problem ?
Hello everyone!I've just install a fresh new copy of windows 7 ultimate after formating my entire hard-drive, which has 320 GB ( in reality about 298 GB).I created two partitions: - C ( 48.7 Gb) - which is for the os and programs - D ( the rest of space) - which is used for data storage (music,...
Hardware & Devices
disk space problem
hey this morning i had 200+ gb of free space but suddenly i have 4 mb free how do i fix this
BSOD Help and Support
Low Disk Space Problem
Hi! I have a little problem with a Windows Notification. Every few seconds, on the far right side of the taskbar, windows keeps popping up a little window saying: "low disk space (you are running out of disk space on ...)" i read several solutions, the most common one seems to be...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:06.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App