Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: 3 MAJOR Complaints of WMP12

03 Jul 2009   #11
YupYup

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
#4 - It's not VLC

#5 - It's made by Micro$oft

#6 - It sucks.

However, as things go, it is still better than previous versions.

If they would only make it extensible - then we could get plugins for all this functionality that it is missing.

Ah, well - Kantaris - my love of choice.
Lol i was going to say if he only found three he must be doing something wrong.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
03 Jul 2009   #12
johngalt

 

Yeah - I think he took my comments as sarcasm directed at him, but I was not being facetious in any way - I was being dead serious.

And since I use it so little, what I do use it for it works great - better than WiMP 11 ever did, so....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2009   #13
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YupYup View Post
Lol i was going to say if he only found three he must be doing something wrong.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
Yeah - I think he took my comments as sarcasm directed at him, but I was not being facetious in any way - I was being dead serious.

And since I use it so little, what I do use it for it works great - better than WiMP 11 ever did, so....
oh I'm sure you were being serious, but also unneccesarily critical. I use WMP to organize and listen to music and play MKV files with 5.1 Digital Surround. For a proprietary program to do that with only 2 plugin packs required is very nice. I never found any reason to compain about anything. If it works, it works, no need to complain about something that works. Also being the reason why I only have 3 major complaints about WMP12.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

03 Jul 2009   #14
Lee

Win 7 Pro x64, VM Win XP, Win7 Pro Sandbox, Kubuntu 11
 
 

Media Monkey - it allows you to change the look to WMP 11 if you so desire. iTunes is not longer needed on my computer since Media Monkey sync to my iPod. Also it makes a great library organizer, etc., etc.,

Will have to say that with the Win7Codecs pack it is the only application I use for watching videos and movies (works great)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2009   #15
garbanzo

7600 x86
 
 

wmp, just like explorer, is made for the average user. power users will naturally use 3rd party apps.

foobar for audio
mpc for video
directory opus for file browsing
everything for searches
etc

windows is an OS, not an all-in-one app solution. it's nice that it comes with a media player, web browser, etc. but don't expect them all to be perfect!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2009   #16
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by garbanzo View Post
wmp, just like explorer, is made for the average user. power users will naturally use 3rd party apps.

foobar for audio
mpc for video
directory opus for file browsing
everything for searches
etc

windows is an OS, not an all-in-one app solution. it's nice that it comes with a media player, web browser, etc. but don't expect them all to be perfect!
Definition of an average user in this instance then would be someone who is satisfied with what can be done and doesn't require any extra "bling". In that case I would definitely be an average user.

However as in true definition I'm nowhere near an "average user" but when something does it's job it's good enough for me.

I'm not looking to start a war on what programs are the best to use I'm just asking what you think about the lack of those 3 options from WMP12 which I feel are very necessary to fully complete the program. Clearly a lot of you don't even like or care to use WMP so it's probably best that you don't post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2009   #17
johngalt

 

Whereas I prefer not to have my media *player* program get bloated with side projects like tag editing - I still use MP3-TagIt (unsupported) and am exploring other programs to edit tags of other media files, but I prefer to handle tag editing *outside* of my media player - otherwise it seems to get bloated, especially when it scans for tags or tries to verify info online for my 400K+ collection....
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2009   #18
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
Whereas I prefer not to have my media *player* program get bloated with side projects like tag editing - I still use MP3-TagIt (unsupported) and am exploring other programs to edit tags of other media files, but I prefer to handle tag editing *outside* of my media player - otherwise it seems to get bloated, especially when it scans for tags or tries to verify info online for my 400K+ collection....
Bloated?
It's a right click option that you never see until you use it. Also the Album Info lookup is a very nice option to quickly rename and add track info to your files, and then do the advanced tag editing to add your own preferences.
And there's an option that allows only new information to be added to your collection instead of overwriting current information. I don't see what the problem is...?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2009   #19
johngalt

 

Bloated in that my tag editor uses all of 2 MB of space when running, and I can just as easily look up and add track info from online as well. Like I said, it is my personal preference to not have this in my media player as I have always edited track info externally and continue to wish to do so.

Adding a feature set like this to WiMP will make it bloated - right click / context menu or not, it has to pre-load the code, making the player use more memory then is needed for simple audio and video playback.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2009   #20
I2aMpAnT

Microsoft Windows 7 x64 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
Bloated in that my tag editor uses all of 2 MB of space when running, and I can just as easily look up and add track info from online as well. Like I said, it is my personal preference to not have this in my media player as I have always edited track info externally and continue to wish to do so.

Adding a feature set like this to WiMP will make it bloated - right click / context menu or not, it has to pre-load the code, making the player use more memory then is needed for simple audio and video playback.
Well it very much is a personal preference. I don't see a need to worry about a tiny bit of extra memory usage but as you said, that's just me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 3 MAJOR Complaints of WMP12




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
General Windows 7 complaints
I find this OS extremely difficult to work with. Does anybody else have problems with it? It does not work with most programs, loses its own hardware on a regular basis-DVD/CD drive, and some programs, and other than just looking pretty, it's extremely awkward and inconvenient to use. You can't...
General Discussion
British tourist complaints
I found these on another forum. I think they are really funny and thought I should share them with you.
Chillout Room
3 Major Window 7 Complaints
I have 3 major complaints about changes made to Windows since XP Pro that are not just really annoying but were valuable functionality removed and it seems as though Microsoft has no intention of restoring these back. I would really like to know WHY? 1. Advanced Search - (XP options got...
General Discussion
Complaints about WMP12 and Win 7
When Microsoft started the "simpler" ad blitz for Win 7, they should have just said more like a Mac, don't think, don't try to configure anything, just use what we give you. My complaints have to do with music files. WMP12 - no Advanced Tag Editor. Windows Explorer - can no longer change...
Sound & Audio
No complaints here just a BIG Thank You
I have to say that this forum is one of the most well designed and thought out site for Win7. I'm greatful for the efforts of the adminsitrator as well as the users here in making this a great success. No I'm not getting paid to say this but many times users forget or just don't know how much...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:48.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App