Windows Media Player: Here At Last

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1.    #11

    Hey there. I tried using the so-called Windows Media Player and it gave all soerts of problems, a virus was one of them. This doesn't seem to be valid. You would see it on softpedia or download.com by now and people all over the net buzzing about it. I don't like what I see in the version I saw first. There was another WMP12 player screenshot I saw and I liked That one! I have been hearing people say that WMP12 will ship with Windows 7. I get that for the millionth time. What I am interested in is getting WMP 12 for beta or a final. That is all. I am not too happy with Windows 7 from what I seen in screenshots. Just wanted to get a taste of WMP12 from Microsoft officially and see the new UI. And play my media of all kinds; video, audio and
    images. I am sick of J River. Too boring and unstable Windows is the best out now but I know WMP12 will be the best of all time. Hopefully I will get WMP12 by new years eve or even new year's day. Can't wait any longer.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #12

    um sorry to burst your bubble ( i really am)
    but wmp 12 isnt even a beta yet
    everything in Windows 7 is a bre-beta (including WMP 12)
    there is no official wmp 12 beta (or non beta for that matter)
    just wait till they ms officially lets users download the WMP

    remember wmp 11 wasnt intended to be developed along with vista (but of course was bundled with it and that included the betas)
    wmp 12 is...
    just my two cents...
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,519
    El Capitan / Windows 10
       #13

    unisol said:
    Hey there. I tried using the so-called Windows Media Player and it gave all soerts of problems, a virus was one of them.
    A virus? What was reported and with what scanning software?

    unisol said:
    This doesn't seem to be valid. You would see it on softpedia or download.com by now and people all over the net buzzing about it. I don't like what I see in the version I saw first.
    This is an older build that does not include some of the features available with the build in the latest Windows 7.


    unisol said:
    There was another WMP12 player screenshot I saw and I liked That one!
    Likely one of the newer builds.

    unisol said:
    I have been hearing people say that WMP12 will ship with Windows 7. I get that for the millionth time. What I am interested in is getting WMP 12 for beta or a final. That is all.
    What you downloaded is the only standalone build of WMP12 that I know of.

    unisol said:
    I am not too happy with Windows 7 from what I seen in screenshots. Just wanted to get a taste of WMP12 from Microsoft officially and see the new UI.
    Unfortunately, you'll have to get Windows 7 to see the latest WMP12. Neither would be exactly "official".

    unisol said:
    And play my media of all kinds; video, audio and images. I am sick of J River. Too boring and unstable Windows is the best out now but I know WMP12 will be the best of all time. Hopefully I will get WMP12 by new years eve or even new year's day. Can't wait any longer.
    I doubt that an "official" beta will be available in that time frame. WMP12 depends on a new codec framework in Windows 7 to handle most of the new formats. So far I've not been able to transplant WMP12 files into Vista and have them run because I can't figure out how to transplant that required framework.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #14

    as i see it...
    xp didnt have the framework that vista had wmp 11 (on xp) still relied on ffdshow so i can see what he thinks that wmp 12 would be different...

    the thing is since they are now working with on tighting the integration with only core technologies (i mean as in bundling with the os IE WMP ect) i believe there wont be wmp 12 till at least sp2 if not later....

    but thats my opinion but it sure seem like that from what i hear
    Last edited by darkassain; 18 Dec 2008 at 00:17.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,519
    El Capitan / Windows 10
       #15

    darkassain said:
    as i see it...
    xp didnt have the framework that vista had wmp 11 (on xp) still relied on ffdshow so i can see what he thinks that wmp 12 would be different...

    the thing is since they are now working with on tighting the integration with only core technologies (i mean as in bundling with the os IE WMP ect) i believe there wont be wmp 12 till at least sp2 if not later....

    but thats my opinion but it sure seem like that from what i hear
    WMP11 did not rely on ffdshow. At least not out of the box. If it did then they would not need a new framework as ffdshow plays most of the stuff they are trying to play in Windows 7. Maybe you meant DirectShow?

    You might be right -- WMP12 standalone might not appear right away but look at WMP11 -- they released the required WMP11 format runtime installer along with WMP11 for Vista not long after Vista shipped.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #16

    barod
    yes i must have half asleep at the keyboard....
    it did rely on the on the on old directshow framework (at least on xp)


    but the other point remains....
    they are intergrating wmp into 7 way more than before...
    MS codecs, play most videos OOB???
    thats unheard of i mean in the windows world...
    i hope it stays that way till rtm....
    at least for endusers....
    i love not having to go and have one of my friends says x video dosent work on y system and its giving me z error....

    but yeah they might do it but only after SP2 (almost for sure)
    my 2 cents (6 cents and counting...)
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,519
    El Capitan / Windows 10
       #17

    I'd like MS to add a few more container formats like Matroska but overall their codec coverage is pretty sweet. I have a folder with over 100 movies that represent everything from ancient DivX to the most current h.264 video, MP3 to AAC/AC3 audio, and various packed and unpacked bitstream AVIs, MPEG TS and PS and MP4s. Not only does it play them all fairly well but it even creates the the thumbnails that Vista always refused to. There has been some fourcc code tweaking required for the really whacked-out combinations but I haven't had to install any of those odious "codec pack" nightmares nor ffdshow. So far so good.
    Last edited by johngalt; 18 Dec 2008 at 18:47. Reason: removed reference to various sources
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #18

    yes usually when vista sees an unknow or invalid(unlikely since then it wouldnt play) fourcc code (at least to vista's codec) then it wouldnt create an thumnail....


    well for me i wanted to...
    it for prefference because i dont want to be tied to the whole protected plataform framework (even though my hardware is compatible, most are)...
    i trust Ddshow more that this framework....
    call me stubborn
    but i love the fact that codecs are there for end users...
    OOB is good for enduser (the majority of them)

    as for matroska
    in my point (i would believe ms's too)
    mkv's are not in a large part of videos to be played...
    not saying that they are there (the quality in most mkvs are incredible for such a container and its open source.... gotta love that...)
    give it a few months and you will see it more widespread
    MKV is the future (at least for me)
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 1,519
    El Capitan / Windows 10
       #19

    You can still install and use whatever DirectShow filters you want and they will easily override the built-in support. Software like GSpot will still function as well.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #20

    it depends....
    media player classic will this instead
    but you have to rename mfpmp.exe for it to default to ddshow codecs...
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

   Please note
Unregistered, once your issue is resolved, please remember to thank those that have helped you and mark the thread as Solved

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35.
Find Us