Microsoft Office icons are not showing.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 53
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #11

    Scanning right now. Be back later for an update.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 15,030
    Windows 10 Home 64Bit
       #12

    gabby02 said:
    Umm.. I don't know why, but I can't seem to uninstall Microsoft Office. It says that the uninstall did not complete successfully.
    gabby02, at this point I am guessing that you have used a third party junk/registry cleaner, like TuneUp Utilities ? That thing cleaned up your installer folder, so the office icons are not being shown, and is not being uninstalled. as all the icons and uninstallers are of that program is stored in C:\Windows\Installer. All these are stored there, rightly.

    Only one thing can you try, to install office (and adobe reader too, if affected) over the existing installation. It will add the lost system folders in the correct place.

    To avoid such mess in future, stop using a third party cleaner program other than ccleaner and please let us know what the outcome is.
      My Computer


  3. Arc
    Posts : 35,373
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
       #13

    koolkat77 said:

    To avoid such mess in future, stop using a third party cleaner program other than ccleaner and please let us know what the outcome is.
    Well said ! Third party registry cleaners often wipe up the installer folder .... it is seen many a times. It is better to not use such a program, as those are often called "snake oil". Ccleaner is highly recommended here ... . go for it. Free and fast, and most important is .... it does not clean a thing that is actually useful ... just to show "performance" .
      My Computer


  4. aem
    Posts : 2,698
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
       #14

    Do a Repair job from oem CD. Do not select "R" at the first prompt, there should be a 2nd "R" option (after press F8).
      My Computer


  5. Arc
    Posts : 35,373
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
       #15

    aem said:
    Do a Repair job from oem CD. Do not select "R" at the first prompt, there should be a 2nd "R" option (after press F8).
    Please dont take it otherwise, mate, but repair repairs the windows system ... ms office is out of that . It's a separate program.
      My Computer


  6. aem
    Posts : 2,698
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
       #16

    Arc said:
    aem said:
    Do a Repair job from oem CD. Do not select "R" at the first prompt, there should be a 2nd "R" option (after press F8).
    Please dont take it otherwise, mate, but repair repairs the windows system ... ms office is out of that . It's a separate program.
    My Office icons went corrupted and i tried everything from Restore points, repair Office, etc nothing works so i used the oem CD and that fixes it. I suspect it was two dlls in the system 32 folder.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 7,730
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-Bit
       #17

    In the event you have trouble uninstalling Microsoft Office in the future, this MS article may be of use to you.

    How to uninstall or remove Microsoft Office 2010 suites
      My Computer


  8. Arc
    Posts : 35,373
    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
       #18

    aem said:

    My Office icons went corrupted and i tried everything from Restore points, repair Office, etc nothing works so i used the oem CD and that fixes it. I suspect it was two dlls in the system 32 folder.
    aem mate, I hope you are talking about the OEM Microsoft Office CD ? If so, I am sorry that initially I thought you are talking about OEM windows disk. Using the office installer, either the repair or the full install will fix it .

    Office icons are stored in the installer folder, as applications (.exe files) .
    Microsoft Office icons are not showing.-2012-03-17_162943.jpg

    The common cause for losing those program icons is a third party registry cleaner (except ccleaner) . They cleans the up the folder entirely. That's why it is not possible to place those back in the place other than those steps.
      My Computer


  9. aem
    Posts : 2,698
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
       #19

    I did look at the folder where Word.exe, Outlook.exe etc sits before attempting to repair from CD and the icons to the executables aren't broken. Icons only appear to be broken on desktop and in start menu. I had also removed Office from add/remove and reinstall it. Even that didn't work.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 53
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #20

    koolkat77 said:

    gabby02, at this point I am guessing that you have used a third party junk/registry cleaner, like TuneUp Utilities ? That thing cleaned up your installer folder, so the office icons are not being shown, and is not being uninstalled. as all the icons and uninstallers are of that program is stored in C:\Windows\Installer. All these are stored there, rightly.

    Only one thing can you try, to install office (and adobe reader too, if affected) over the existing installation. It will add the lost system folders in the correct place.

    To avoid such mess in future, stop using a third party cleaner program other than ccleaner and please let us know what the outcome is.
    I am very proud to say that I do not use third party cleaners. I hate those things.



    seavixen32 said:
    In the event you have trouble uninstalling Microsoft Office in the future, this MS article may be of use to you.

    How to uninstall or remove Microsoft Office 2010 suites
    Trying out one of the methods listed right now. I hope it works.


    Will be back again later to report.
    Thanks for all your replies!
      My Computer


 
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58.
Find Us