Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Strange Word 2013 behavior with diacritics

09 Feb 2013   #1
emilyan2010

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 
Strange Word 2013 behavior with diacritics

Hello,
Today I tried to write a text in romanian, using diacritics (șță). Problem is, when i try to write diacritic and there is no letter after it, it automatically adds a space. For example, if I have to write the word recepție, it writes recepț ie, or if I write the word și, it writes ș i. The only way to make it work is to write the word without the diacritic, then add the diacritic inside it (like I write recepie, then I add the letter ț). This only happens in Word 2013. I tried to remove all dictionaries and proofing tools, but with no success. What should I do? Thanks in advance!

Yours, emilyan2010


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Feb 2013   #2
Neutron16

Windows 8.1 ; Windows 7 x86 (Dec2008-Jan2013)
 
 

I have installed Romanian keyboard layout and tried to type diacritics. It works just fine in my Word 2013.

I propose you to rename your normal.dotm template and test your Word without it.
If you are not sure what I am taking about, I have created a script to do that.

Download script, close Word. Start script. Then start Word and test diacritics.
If my theory won't workout, let me know I will create another script to reinstate your old normal.dotm template.


Attached Files
File Type: bat rename_normal_dotm.bat (154 Bytes, 20 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2013   #3
emilyan2010

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Neutron16 View Post
I have installed Romanian keyboard layout and tried to type diacritics. It works just fine in my Word 2013.

I propose you to rename your normal.dotm template and test your Word without it.
If you are not sure what I am taking about, I have created a script to do that.

Download script, close Word. Start script. Then start Word and test diacritics.
If my theory won't workout, let me know I will create another script to reinstate your old normal.dotm template.
Thank you for your advice! After running your script and starting word, everything is fine now.
But, I have another problem. Each time i restart my windows, my default keyboard languages (the bar that is on the right of taskbar) always has 4 languages (US english, romanian, japanese and korean), even if i delete the last 2. What should I do in this case? Thanks!


Yours, emilyan2010
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Feb 2013   #4
Neutron16

Windows 8.1 ; Windows 7 x86 (Dec2008-Jan2013)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by emilyan2010 View Post
my default keyboard languages (the bar that is on the right of taskbar) always has 4 languages (US english, romanian, japanese and korean), even if i delete the last 2.
Great to hear that my script worked for you.

As for keyboard layouts.
Are you logged in as Administrator?
Do you have an idea which program among those you use could potentially do that?

I know some programs that would forcibly change some regional settings upon each start.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Feb 2013   #5
emilyan2010

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Neutron16 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by emilyan2010 View Post
my default keyboard languages (the bar that is on the right of taskbar) always has 4 languages (US english, romanian, japanese and korean), even if i delete the last 2.
Great to hear that my script worked for you.

As for keyboard layouts.
Are you logged in as Administrator?
Do you have an idea which program among those you use could potentially do that?

I know some programs that would forcibly change some regional settings upon each start.
I am logged as admin, but i don't know any programs that could automatically change my regional settings.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Strange Word 2013 behavior with diacritics




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Need help, strange behavior!
Ok, so let me start off with my spec: Windows 7 Pro X64 Intel I7 16GB Ram NVidia GeForce GTX 750ti (latest driver) liquid cooled core 1 x SSD 1 x HDD (storage)
General Discussion
Odd cursor behavior in Word 2013 and 2007
I have recently re-installed Wind 7 64-bit SP1 and all updates (well, except the two I removed because of the windows ads). All seems fine, but whenever I've worked for a short time in Word (no matter which of the two I've used) my cursor goes into circle mode and won't cease. The only way to get...
Microsoft Office
Updated to Office 2013 Pro: Word (Desktop) vs Word 2013
Good morning, I recently upgraded from Office 2010 Pro to Office 2013 Pro. However, after the install, all of the office products are showing as <NAME> (desktop) - i.e. Word (desktop), Powerpoint (desktop). Yet, when they are opened, the program is shown as Word 2013, Powerpoint 2013, etc. When...
Microsoft Office
New Windows 7 computer - how do I transfer old Word to Word 2013?
I made the Easy Transfer using the ET cable yesterday. The files and setting of my old Windows 7 computer are now in my new Windows 7 computer. I have Microsoft Word 2013 on my new computer but it's empty. How can I get the documents from Word 2003 on my old computer to the new one? I also...
Microsoft Office
Strange Word 2010 paragrph formatting behavior
All, While working on a document the other day (the original of which came from a colleague who uses a bibliographic management system), I stumbled across a very weird issue with paragraph formatting (see the attached file). When you open the document, the paragraph looks just fine. Now,...
Microsoft Office


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:53.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App