Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Removing Office 2016 32 bit completely

13 Mar 2019   #1
GusFG

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 
Removing Office 2016 32 bit completely

We've installed Office 64 bit 2016 after uninstalling the 32 bit version. Now when windows is fetching updates it also fetches and tries to install the 32 bit updates but since the 32 bit version isn't even installed these aren't either. The problem is on the next reboot it tries to reinstall them again and again and again on every shutdown.
I've tried a tool from MS called 'Office 2013 Easy Fix Tool' but this does not seem to work, yes I know it's 2013. It gets rid of Office completely which is fine but after installing the 64 version the 32 bit updates are back as well. Today I downloaded here from MS and haven't run it as it looks exactly the same, different filename but exact same size.
I really don't want to do a manual install so what else can I do. For the time being I've selected the 32 bit updates which were queued and hidden them.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
13 Mar 2019   #2
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi GusFG,

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by GusFG View Post
We've installed Office 64 bit 2016 after uninstalling the 32 bit version. Now when windows is fetching updates it also fetches and tries to install the 32 bit updates but since the 32 bit version isn't even installed these aren't either. The problem is on the next reboot it tries to reinstall them again and again and again on every shutdown.
I've tried a tool from MS called 'Office 2013 Easy Fix Tool' but this does not seem to work, yes I know it's 2013. It gets rid of Office completely which is fine but after installing the 64 version the 32 bit updates are back as well. Today I downloaded here from MS and haven't run it as it looks exactly the same, different filename but exact same size.
I really don't want to do a manual install so what else can I do. For the time being I've selected the 32 bit updates which were queued and hidden them.
How did you uninstall the 32-bit version?

Have a look in C:\Windows\installer and then add/check the Subject box and then sort it by Subject.

Are the 32-bit installers still shown?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2019   #3
Ranger4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
 
 

GusFG. This MS website might help you.

Uninstall Office from a PC - Office Support

Also always reboot the computer after an uninstall to clear any remnants, before installing a new version of a program.

You may have to uninstall the 64 bit version as well to be sure of clearing any of the 32 version.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Mar 2019   #4
GusFG

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi GusFG,



How did you uninstall the 32-bit version?

Have a look in C:\Windows\installer and then add/check the Subject box and then sort it by Subject.

Are the 32-bit installers still shown?
I believe we used the windows default uninstaller for the 32 version. Subsequently we used Office 2013 Easy Fix Tool from MS which seems to uninstall all versions of MS Office not just 2013. On another part of the MS website they provide this for installing office which I now believe to be exactly the same tool but with another name.
Will update you regarding the installer version tomorrow, thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2019   #5
GusFG

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ranger4 View Post
GusFG. This MS website might help you.

Uninstall Office from a PC - Office Support

Also always reboot the computer after an uninstall to clear any remnants, before installing a new version of a program.

You may have to uninstall the 64 bit version as well to be sure of clearing any of the 32 version.
Yes used the already mentioned utility to do this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Mar 2019   #6
Ranger4

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit sp1
 
 

This YouTube vieo might have some clues for you. It opens showing how to remove the 32 bit version of Office in Windows 10, but if you watch further there is reference to Windows 7. It does deal with Office 2013 but you should be able to replace it with Office 2016.

How-To Remove 32-bit MS Office to Install 64-bit Version - YouTube
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2019   #7
GusFG

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ranger4 View Post
This YouTube vieo might have some clues for you. It opens showing how to remove the 32 bit version of Office in Windows 10, but if you watch further there is reference to Windows 7. It does deal with Office 2013 but you should be able to replace it with Office 2016.

How-To Remove 32-bit MS Office to Install 64-bit Version - YouTube
thank you, will have a look at that later.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2019   #8
GusFG

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi GusFG,



How did you uninstall the 32-bit version?

Have a look in C:\Windows\installer and then add/check the Subject box and then sort it by Subject.

Are the 32-bit installers still shown?
Okay so can see a heck of a lot of installer files but no way of discerning which is related to which version of office i.e. 32/64 bit. Was going to delete all of them but there must have been 200 related to office so this might not have good idea. Every time I restart the computer it's telling me there is 71 updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2019   #9
Paul Black

7 HP SP1 64-bit Vista HB SP2 32-bit Linux Mint 18.3
 
 

Hi GusFG, is M$ Office 2016 64-bit on a network?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 Mar 2019   #10
GusFG

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Paul Black View Post
Hi GusFG, is M$ Office 2016 64-bit on a network?
Yes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Removing Office 2016 32 bit completely




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Office 2016 and Office 365 Current Channel v1704 build 8067.2115
Source: Office 365 client update channel releases See also: Announcing April feature update for Office 2016 for Windows Desktop - Microsoft Community
News
Office 2016 and Office 365 Current Channel v1703 build 7967.2161
Source: Office 365 client update channel releases See also: May 2017 Office Update Release Office Updates
News
Completely remove Office 2016
When offered a low-cost way to get Office 2016 I installed it on my Win 7 64 bit computer. I still had Office 2010 installed and the Office 2016 ran ok. I did not like it nearly as much as I liked Office 2010, so I uninstalled it. I've gotten rid of ALMOST all evidence it was ever on my machine;...
Microsoft Office
Can I Install Office 2016 alongside Office 2007 without conflict?
Hi Folks, The title of the thread says it all really. I have legitimate copy of Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate on my PC. I have just bought a copy of Office 2016 Professional Plus through the HUP. I haven't installed Office 2016 yet - I use Office 2010 at work and find using Custom...
Microsoft Office
Modern productivity – Office 2016 and Office 365 news at Ignite
Source: Modern productivity–Office news at Ignite - Microsoft Office Blogs
News


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:35.
Twitter Facebook