How to open Word97 .doc file with Word 2007 [and save to .docx]


  1. Posts : 48
    Win 7
       #1

    How to open Word97 .doc file with Word 2007 [and save to .docx]


    As the title states, I need help opening .doc files in Word 2007. A popup appears indicating a registry policy setting is preventing me from opening the .doc file. My goal is to convert/save my old .doc files as .docx in Word 2007 but first I've got to be able to open them. Attempts to resolve this have failed. Can anyone here help out? Thanks in advance.
      My Computer

  2.   My Computers


  3. Posts : 48
    Win 7
    Thread Starter
       #3

    Thanks for replying, but I'm afraid that help document you've linked does not provide assistance for Office 2007. It provides three methods for the fix, ostensibly for Office 2003, 2007 and 2010 and 2013, but only one method specifically designed for Office 2007 -- and unfortunately that method, a manual registry fix, appears to be in error as it does not match my registry values. [Yes, I've checked carefully.]

    The correct registry values would do the trick. Either that or help with setting up a trusted location that is specific to Office 2007.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 2,924
    Windows 7 x64, Vista x64, 8.1 smartphone
       #4

    rontokyo said:
    Thanks for replying, ... -- and unfortunately that method, a manual registry fix, appears to be in error as it does not match my registry values. [Yes, I've checked carefully.]

    The correct registry values would do the trick. Either that or help with setting up a trusted location that is specific to Office 2007.
    @townsbg's link provides three methods. Method 1 is a registry fix and, if you will look again (it is not very clear) states that if the registry location does not currently exist, then create the location in the registry yourself.

    Method 2 provides a link to 2007 Office system (SP2) Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX, ADML) and Office Customization Tool but that link is now broken . You may find it on the Wayback Machine Internet Archive .
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,924
    Windows 7 x64, Vista x64, 8.1 smartphone
       #5

    iko22 said:
    [MENTION=179301]
    Method 2 provides a link to 2007 Office system (SP2) Administrative Template files (ADM, ADMX, ADML) and Office Customization Tool but that link is now broken . You may find it on the Wayback Machine Internet Archive .
    If I may add, the Office Customization Tool mentioned in this method only works for volume licence versions of Office (Pro Plus, Enterprise).
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 48
    Win 7
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Thanks guys. The registry fix worked after all. Time to get both eyes [and head] repaired
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 1,760
    Windows 8.1 Industry Pro x64
       #7

    rontokyo said:
    Thanks guys. The registry fix worked after all. Time to get both eyes [and head] repaired

    Just a note, if you read up on any kind of fix using the registry and it says set so and so key to this, if that registry key doesn't exist you can create it. That article even includes instructions.


    Note If this value does not exist, you must create it. To do this, follow these steps:
      My Computers


  8. Posts : 2
    Windows 7 64 bit
       #8

    I have followed the instructions also, creating the FileOpenBlock subkey and then the DWORD value. Then it tells me to enter a DWORD value and I have no idea where to find this. What does it mean? I have only three (important) files in Word 97 - 2003 document and I would like to open them to save them as a docx.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 227
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bits
       #9

    Meredyth said:
    I have followed the instructions also, creating the FileOpenBlock subkey and then the DWORD value. Then it tells me to enter a DWORD value and I have no idea where to find this. What does it mean? I have only three (important) files in Word 97 - 2003 document and I would like to open them to save them as a docx.
    Try to convert the .doc files with this web site. It will allow you to save the converted files in .docx format.

    Online conversion
    DOC to WORD Converter - FreeConvert.com

    BTW, one time I even converted some .doc files to .docx that were created with Word for DOS.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 2
    Windows 7 64 bit
       #10

    To Mister Ed,
    Thank you so much. This worked a treat. I had been fiddling and experimenting for days - this did it in minutes. You're an Ace!
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03.
Find Us