Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Best Video Player?

07 Feb 2010   #21
monkeys breath

windows
 
 

i canot speak for shark007's codec pack, however i know for a fact that klite will look at all codecs on your system and offer to remove any that will conflict with of of their codecs. so at least with klite the issue of conflicting codeces is a non issue.

EDIT: as for windows media player.

1. it downloads codecs as it needs them, so you still end up with the same codecs in the end.
2. it is a resource hog.
3. there are a lot of formats that it will not play in fullscreen.
4. it is way to intrusive.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Feb 2010   #22
Shark007

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Shark, I am sure you are trying to do a good job. But that does not change the fact that there are a lot of very bad codec packs on the market. And the layman cannot tell the good ones from the bad ones. I have seen may people getting their system into trouble because of shoddy codec packs and had to bail them out.
This statement is the innitial inncentive behind the begginngs of my releases.

I got so fed-up with re-installing peoples OS's from K-crap destroying them that I began to build a codecpack for personal use. 5 years ago, I began to share this personal pack with a few good friends on a techy forum I used to frequent. These friends convinced me to share with the world and on Feb 4th, 2006 I made my 1st public release.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #23
monkeys breath

windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Shark, I am sure you are trying to do a good job. But that does not change the fact that there are a lot of very bad codec packs on the market. And the layman cannot tell the good ones from the bad ones. I have seen may people getting their system into trouble because of shoddy codec packs and had to bail them out.
This statement is the innitial inncentive behind the begginngs of my releases.

I got so fed-up with re-installing peoples OS's from K-crap destroying them that I began to build a codecpack for personal use. 5 years ago, I began to share this personal pack with a few good friends on a techy forum I used to frequent. These friends convinced me to share with the world and on Feb 4th, 2006 I made my 1st public release.

how is your pack with media player classic. i would be willing to try you pack if i can stick with mpc as my main player.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

07 Feb 2010   #24
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Shark, I am sure you are trying to do a good job. But that does not change the fact that there are a lot of very bad codec packs on the market. And the layman cannot tell the good ones from the bad ones. I have seen may people getting their system into trouble because of shoddy codec packs and had to bail them out.
This statement is the innitial inncentive behind the begginngs of my releases.

I got so fed-up with re-installing peoples OS's from K-crap destroying them that I began to build a codecpack for personal use. 5 years ago, I began to share this personal pack with a few good friends on a techy forum I used to frequent. These friends convinced me to share with the world and on Feb 4th, 2006 I made my 1st public release.

After all, I think we agree. Keep up the good work. I might become one of your customers one day. LOL
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #25
Shark007

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by monkeys breath View Post
how is your pack with media player classic. i would be willing to try you pack if i can stick with mpc as my main player.
On my tools page i release pre-configured versions of Media Player Classic (and HomeCinema) for use with my releases. PLEASE read my website to inform yourself of the specific software you are installing. One thing you must know, uninstall can only be performed through the settings interface using the uninstall button provided on the Help TAB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #26
Shark007

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
After all, I think we agree. Keep up the good work. I might become one of your customers one day. LOL
I will assure you, uninstall of my software will return your system to a pre-installation state. I wrote my my own uninstall routine just so that I could make this statement. Have fun testing, I work very hard at giving you everything you need without requiring any additional tools what-so-ever. Everything you can think of, is built-in. Have a look on the Misc TAB for builtin tools.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #27
topgundcp

win 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by monkeys breath View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post

If you want to kill your system, you can do that. Not on any of my systems.
there is nothing wrong with the codec packs. it is your choice not to use them, but since you do not use them do not make a broad statement like the one above.
It is not my habit to make statements about things I do not understand - after 50 years in computers I know that this would not be the proper way of doing things. I did provide one reference (which leads to a lot of other references) to demonstrate my position. See here: Why Codec Packs Are Bad - How-To Geek Wiki

PS: Those who read will learn.
Geez, Do computers really exist 50 years ago ? I remember I was sitting at my desk at work trying to play with assembly language in the late 70, so that makes about 30 years. Myself, I built about at least 50 pc's back in the days when Microsoft came out with Windows 2.0.

Yes, there are bad codecs packs out there but all my pc's, I have either Shark or K-lite installed and not once they gave me any problem or even near killing my PC's.

I do get input and advices from people and learn from it and never ever think I am an expert.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #28
Captain Zero

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

One word: KMPlayer

No need for codec packs or other screwy solutions. Plays every format I've ever tossed at it and handles formats I've never heard of. Outrageously powerful and streamlined, it will download codecs as it needs them. Very powerful features for display configs, etc. This thing does it all and does it better than the rest. Download it here.



- URL redirect support.
- Change playList XP style.
- Open avi file in 0byte fix.
- mx audio file reposition support.
- mx audio file crash fix.
- error with zip file (when title include , it wasn’t play)
- Crash error with unsupported file.
- Error with mkv file (searching five sec. forward and backward)
- Not displayed subtitle in vista EVR.
- Codec update : libcodec.dll.
- Change default install language to English.
- Uninstaller is now English.
- ASK Toolbar installation added.
- Support madVR.
- Support flv (avc, aac codec).
- MediaInfo.dll (ver 0.7.21.0) patch.
- Possible to playback damaged file.
- Support album art(MP3 thumbnail).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #29
monkeys breath

windows
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Captain Zero View Post
One word: KMPlayer

No need for codec packs or other screwy solutions. Plays every format I've ever tossed at it and handles formats I've never heard of. Outrageously powerful and streamlined, it will download codecs as it needs them. Very powerful features for display configs, etc. This thing does it all and does it better than the rest. Download it here.



- URL redirect support.
- Change playList XP style.
- Open avi file in 0byte fix.
- mx audio file reposition support.
- mx audio file crash fix.
- error with zip file (when title include , it wasn’t play)
- Crash error with unsupported file.
- Error with mkv file (searching five sec. forward and backward)
- Not displayed subtitle in vista EVR.
- Codec update : libcodec.dll.
- Change default install language to English.
- Uninstaller is now English.
- ASK Toolbar installation added.
- Support madVR.
- Support flv (avc, aac codec).
- MediaInfo.dll (ver 0.7.21.0) patch.
- Possible to playback damaged file.
- Support album art(MP3 thumbnail).
in other words it goes out on the net just like windows media player does to get codecs when it needs them. i do not recommend allowing this behavior to anyone. this is exactly why i was using klite because almost all of the codecs i need are all ready in it. for the couple of movies that will not play in media player classic i have vlc. i am testing sharks codec pack now and the only real difference i see with it over klite is that the sound is better with sharks, otherwise the two codec packs are pretty much equal. i personally recommend that a user never have anything set to auto download updates.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Feb 2010   #30
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
Geez, Do computers really exist 50 years ago ?
Of course, computers did exist 50 years ago (even 20 years earlier). This was the model I played around with in 1958 - a Zuse:



Actually the picture shows a slightly younger but similar model (Z23). We used the Z11. And then we had built our own at the mathematical faculty. We gave it the big name of DERA (Deutscher RechenAutomat). In those days you could not go out and buy motherboards, etc. All the parts came from the radio industry or you had to make them yourself. But it was the same fun as buiding a PC - just more involved.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Best Video Player?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Best video player?
what is the best video player (and what rendering is the best) for windows 7 x64?
Music, Pictures & Video
Video player that divides video into smaller scenes for preview?
Hi there. I'm looking for a video player that can divide videos into smaller scenes (like every 15 or 30 sec) so that they serve as previews and lets you seek to the part you want. Note that it doesn't really split the video; it just does it on the spot for previewing purposes. This technique was...
Music, Pictures & Video
Best Free Video Player to play all video formats
What is the best media player that will play all video formats?
Music, Pictures & Video
x64 video player?
If I'm not wrong the WMP12 on my Windows7 is 32 bit player. Is that true, because the process in the task manager shows *32 after the wmplayer process but i have a folder in my Program files (not the x86) with lots of files in it. If the 64bit players are better can you suggest me one, to see if I...
Media Center
Video Player Lockup
OK so when I attempt to use any video player on an existing AVI file my system locks up and has to be rebooted. I have tried WMP, VLC (my preference) and KPS. They all react the same way, leads me to believe it is hardware and not a software issue, Is 1 gig of ram enough for this system to...
Music, Pictures & Video


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:14.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App