Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: how to screenshot while in a game

24 Mar 2010   #11
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

For those purposes I use Jing. The advantage is that you can program Jing to a function key and when you hit the F-key, everything on the screen freezes and you get a correct shot. Plus you can make annotations, highlights, arrows, etc. on the captured shot which is not possible with the snipping tool or ptr scrn.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
24 Mar 2010   #12
Seven Eleven

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ravanx View Post
Wouldn't a normal screenshot be able to capture Aero desktop? I'm confused by what you mentioned.
i meant video capture.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #13
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ravanx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Seven Eleven View Post
Fraps is the king. it even captures Aero desktop.
Wouldn't a normal screenshot be able to capture Aero desktop? I'm confused by what you mentioned.
Screenshot captures a still screen, FRAPS and others capture the moving images (video capture) from where you can isolate a single frame of your choice.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 Mar 2010   #14
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ravanx View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Seven Eleven View Post
Fraps is the king. it even captures Aero desktop.
Wouldn't a normal screenshot be able to capture Aero desktop? I'm confused by what you mentioned.
Screenshot captures a still screen, FRAPS and others capture the moving images (video capture) from where you can isolate a single frame of your choice.
The problem with video capture is that it takes a lot of CPU power. And that may have a significant impact on the behavior of a game. If the game does not need a lot of CPU power, that may be fine. But otherwise you will get a significant slowdown of your game (unless you have some super CPU).
On my 2.5GHz duo core CPU, the screen capture program (video) uses about 70% of the CPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #15
mitchell65

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Good point. I have never played a game on a PC apart from Solitaire when it first arrived with windows 3.1 so would not appreciate that point. Getting old you see!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #16
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Good point. I have never played a game on a PC apart from Solitaire when it first arrived with windows 3.1 so would not appreciate that point. Getting old you see!
LOL - I never played a game either. But it just figured that this is what would happen. And you are right, we are getting too old.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #17
Ravanx

Windows 7 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Seven Eleven View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ravanx View Post
Wouldn't a normal screenshot be able to capture Aero desktop? I'm confused by what you mentioned.
i meant video capture.
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mitchell65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ravanx View Post
Wouldn't a normal screenshot be able to capture Aero desktop? I'm confused by what you mentioned.
Screenshot captures a still screen, FRAPS and others capture the moving images (video capture) from where you can isolate a single frame of your choice.
The problem with video capture is that it takes a lot of CPU power. And that may have a significant impact on the behavior of a game. If the game does not need a lot of CPU power, that may be fine. But otherwise you will get a significant slowdown of your game (unless you have some super CPU).
On my 2.5GHz duo core CPU, the screen capture program (video) uses about 70% of the CPU.
Looking at the two posts I quoted, does that mean that normal computers will have difficulty capturing the Aero desktop on video due to the immense amount of CPU power required and the lack of it on average computers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Mar 2010   #18
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
Looking at the two posts I quoted, does that mean that normal computers will have difficulty capturing the Aero desktop on video due to the immense amount of CPU power required and the lack of it on average computers
I don't think so. As I stated, I have an average CPU (AMD 4800+, 2.5GHz duo core). And video capture works quite well. But I would think that you cannot play a CPU demanding game at the same time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2010   #19
Seven Eleven

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ravanx View Post
Looking at the two posts I quoted, does that mean that normal computers will have difficulty capturing the Aero desktop on video due to the immense amount of CPU power required and the lack of it on average computers?
just did some testing: Fraps uses ~35% of CPU when capturing Aero at 1280x1024@25fps. at lower resoultions it eats even less CPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2010   #20
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Seven Eleven View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ravanx View Post
Looking at the two posts I quoted, does that mean that normal computers will have difficulty capturing the Aero desktop on video due to the immense amount of CPU power required and the lack of it on average computers?
just did some testing: Fraps uses ~35% of CPU when capturing Aero at 1280x1024@25fps. at lower resoultions it eats even less CPU.
Wha's the CPU?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 how to screenshot while in a game




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Screenshot
Hello Friends When I take screen shot of my screen while playing Games ( CS ) , and then paste it in paint , only BLACK SCREEN Appears. Normally When i take SS of any window , it appears proper. Can Anyone help me ? :(
Gaming
screenshot
How do I do a screenshot in Windows 7? When I press the Print Screen button nothing happens.
General Discussion
Need help with screenshot
Hi everyone, I installed drivers or a driver for my Canon printer , it seems one failed and one succeeded , are these one of the same because I see one is called imaging and one isn't . Thank you
Windows Updates & Activation
Need help with this screenshot
Does anyone know how to get rid of this half page thing i have.
General Discussion
RE : screenshot.
Not sure where to post this. How do you set up a screenshot in such a way that when someone clicks at it, it will turn full size. Just like what happens here in these forums, but it was done by the forum. I'd like to know if I could do the same thing myself if I posted in other forums ( oh-oh,...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:33.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App