Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to put the menu in paint at the side?

26 Mar 2010   #1
Haggstrom

Windows 7
 
 
How to put the menu in paint at the side?

The usual widescreens on laptops nowadays compress the height to inconveniently low vertical limits. Therefore, I can't understand why the menu in Paint is located on top in Windows 7, limiting the height even further, so that the actual paint space gets an aspect ratio of 25:10. It's okay if you just want to paint a sleeping snake, but I'd like to use it for other purposes too, and therefore I'd really like to know: How to put the menu at any side of the screen instead?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Mar 2010   #2
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

The menu in paint is called the Ribbon. You are familiar with this thing form the introduction of Office 2007. But it differs from Office 2007's ribbon in one respect. In office, you have a chance to hide it, but in paint you are not allowed to do so. i think it is noy possible to put the menu in a side too. I feel your problem.

That's why I dont use a widescreen monitor
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2010   #3
nickle

Windows 7
 
 

The paint space is approximately 2:1 width:height but you can change that to any size you want by resizing the paint space to any aspect ratio you want. Just change the horizontal and vertical pixels as shown in the attachment. Scroll bars are added if the resulting paint space is larger than the default for the screen.


Attached Thumbnails
How to put the menu in paint at the side?-capture.jpg   How to put the menu in paint at the side?-capture1.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Mar 2010   #4
Kari

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

 

You can also hide the ribbon.


Attached Images
How to put the menu in paint at the side?-paint_hide_ribbon.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2010   #5
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
You can also hide the ribbon.
Thanks , Kari ! Nice Input! I didn't know that it may be done in paint. You may look at a earlier post that I told him that ribbon may be minimized in office 2007, but not in paint
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Mar 2010   #6
HammerHead

win 7 X64 Ultimate SP1
 
 
Wide Screen

How about putting your monitor into Portrait
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #7
Haggstrom

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nickle View Post
The paint space is approximately 2:1 width:height but you can change that to any size you want by resizing the paint space to any aspect ratio you want. Just change the horizontal and vertical pixels as shown in the attachment. Scroll bars are added if the resulting paint space is larger than the default for the screen.
Thanks, but that only resizes the image itself and not the actual paint space, like cutting your paper when it's actually your desk that is too small.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #8
Haggstrom

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kari View Post
You can also hide the ribbon.
Thanks , Kari ! Nice Input! I didn't know that it may be done in paint. You may look at a earlier post that I told him that ribbon may be minimized in office 2007, but not in paint
Thanks! It's not the optimal solution for me, but it's much better.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2010   #9
nickle

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Haggstrom View Post
Thanks, but that only resizes the image itself and not the actual paint space, like cutting your paper when it's actually your desk that is too small.
It does increase the paint space to anything you want it to be. You just have to scroll vertically or horizontally to access the larger paint space.

A better analogy is that you want to paint a picture on a piece of paper that is larger than your desk so you have to move the paper horizontally or vertically on the desk to complete the picture.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2010   #10
Haggstrom

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nickle View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Haggstrom View Post
Thanks, but that only resizes the image itself and not the actual paint space, like cutting your paper when it's actually your desk that is too small.
It does increase the paint space to anything you want it to be. You just have to scroll vertically or horizontally to access the larger paint space.

A better analogy is that you want to paint a picture on a piece of paper that is larger than your desk so you have to move the paper horizontally or vertically on the desk to complete the picture.

Thanks again. Still, I find it annoying to have to scroll whenever I want to paint on the other side of the picture - I want to see the full picture. So I'd still like to know how to put that damn menu at the side.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to put the menu in paint at the side?




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I pin a folder to Start Menu and have it show Task side menu?
I guess this is best explained with images, so here's what I want. (If possible of course). https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t31.0-8/10958975_1431057283852542_3719755294889004032_o.jpg So in this screenshot you can see my Start Menu, notice that some of this icons (Steam,...
Customization
How do I pin to the right side of the start menu?
Someone asked about pinning to the RIGHT SIDE of the start menu? How do I do that? No, I do not want to rename another option (TV, etc...) after enabling it through customize. I created several new libraries and I want them to show on the right side with the others. Any ideas without using...
Customization
Add items to right side menu
I want some thing that allows me to add items to the right side of the start menu. When I say right side, I mean along with the Pictures, Documents, Downloads, etc.. Also it has to lead to something.
Software
Start Menu Paint.NET Options Disappeared
Hi. I'd like to first appologise if this is in the wrong section. If you look at the screenshot below, you can see Internet Explorer, Getting Started and Windows Live Messenger have those 'extra options' arrows. Well, the highlighted program, Paint.NET, had one of those arrows, where I...
General Discussion
How to add folder with sc to right side of menu start ?
Hi, New menu start is very usefulness for me . http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/1340/14154179.jpg I would like to create Folder which will contains Shortcuts one type of application. I have found that there is good example of this object in the right column of windows start menu this folder...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:26.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App