Songbird 1.0 is out - is it all that and a bag of Doritos?


  1. Posts : 4,364
    Windows 11 21H2 Current build
       #1

    Songbird 1.0 is out - is it all that and a bag of Doritos?


    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081202-first-look-can-songbird-1-0-replace-itunes-wmp.html said:
    First look: can Songbird 1.0 replace iTunes, WMP?

    By David Chartier | Published: December 02, 2008 - 12:00PM CT

    Last month, we curled up with a pair of headphones and a 1.0 release candidate of Songbird, an open-source media player based on Mozilla technology. As a cross-platform music player built with Mozilla's trademark extensibility in mind, Songbird soared with its integration of services like concert ticket notifiers, lyric downloading, and artist bios. Today the official Songbird 1.0 is shipping, and it even supports DRM-protected iTunes Store files, so we took another look at the feature roadmap and how the final version shaped up.

    For a recap, Songbird is available for Windows XP/Vista, Linux, and Intel-based Mac OS X PCs. The app takes an iTunes-meets-Firefox approach, as it is based on Mozilla's XML User Interface Language (XUL) and Gecko rendering engine that powers Firefox, but presents one's music library and add-ons with a UI inspired very much by iTunes. The integration of a tabbed web browser, official add-on support, open architecture, and a focus on playing well with the rest of the music-loving web, however, are what really help Songbird to soar above the competition.
    Read the rest at First look: can Songbird 1.0 replace iTunes, WMP?
      My Computer

  2.    #2

    I like Songbird, but it appears it still doesn't function good enough, been testing it for months and months on Vista, and I don't like the 1.0 much better so far on win7
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #3

    DiamondNRG said:
    I like Songbird, but it appears it still doesn't function good enough, been testing it for months and months on Vista, and I don't like the 1.0 much better so far on win7
    as long it dosent use as much total memory as itunes (total memory meaning services installed by default and startup) im a happy camper...lol
      My Computer

  4.    #4

    Haha, iTunes is the devil. I hate all the crap that Apple shoves onto your system no matter if you want it or not. I just installed Quicktime tonight and said NO to the apple updater and you guessed it, Apple put it on my machine and set the service running anyways, even though I had said no to it in the installer. I hate Apple.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #5

    DiamondNRG said:
    Haha, iTunes is the devil. I hate all the crap that Apple shoves onto your system no matter if you want it or not. I just installed Quicktime tonight and said NO to the apple updater and you guessed it, Apple put it on my machine and set the service running anyways, even though I had said no to it in the installer. I hate Apple.
    you havent seen safari there too...lol

    well hey the end user doesnt care if there installing something or other, they just want their itunes bought videos work both in the ipod and in the computer

    i hoped every music and movie distribution will just accept a standard for a container and codecs...
    i love that ms is showing end users a workaround to this problem but for mac users this is some of a bad news (meaning they are not computer literate and able to download vlc....)

    meaning the amount of memory used
    its because they are not using standard code and api's that are in windows
    thats why the bonjour service is there...

    its the same with ms and macs (meaning office)
    ms office/IE is the devil in mac... (i tried it and i see why apple did it back...lol)
    same thing with ms

    apple software on apple Os flies
    Ms software on MS OS given the right hardware (4 yrs old) flies too

    it just depends what framework, code and api's a piece of software uses
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 137
    Windows 7 Build 7277
       #6

    I love iTunes. It allows me to be obsessively organized with my library. I am very anal about that on my PC. Everything has a place. And in those places everything is grouped and nothing has it's original file name.

    My Movies have catergories and those catergories sometimes have catergories. lol. Same with pictures, music, and documents. Thank god for Home Server, now I can do all that and share it on every computer instead of saving the same files over and over.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 2,899
    Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
       #7

    JerzeyLegend said:
    I love iTunes. It allows me to be obsessively organized with my library. I am very anal about that on my PC. Everything has a place. And in those places everything is grouped and nothing has it's original file name.

    My Movies have catergories and those catergories sometimes have catergories. lol. Same with pictures, music, and documents. Thank god for Home Server, now I can do all that and share it on every computer instead of saving the same files over and over.
    while this is true i believe no i know that apple can do this without using about 5-10% (more than 100 megs) of my total memory.....
    i can stand it that they didnt take their time to use standard frameworks or calls and api's

    thats why it is strictly enforeced that itunes cannot be installed (and if so i have an emergency where i need to use it (restoring an ipod) i have a portable custom made itunes (i loveThinstall) .....)


    and that is why everyone has the option to use or not use software...
    on the mac itunes is simply a divine app...
    but on windows ....
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:35.
Find Us