Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: No Thumbnails on some .AVIs

26 Jun 2010   #1
MCleveland

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 
No Thumbnails on some .AVIs

I have a different problem I haven't been able to find anywhere. Only some .AVIs I have don't display thumbnails. I use VLC as my primary video player. Whenever I play these certain files, it shows how long I've been watching it but not how long it is. It shows "--:--" for the end time. Also, when I try playing them in WMP, it crashes. Also, not every file in the folders have this problem. I tried using Shark007 Win7codes but that didn't help either. Anyone have any idea?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Jun 2010   #2
205tim

7 Home Premium x64
 
 

I've had this problem with a few videos in the past, I think it has something to do with the encoding or such of the specific video, possibly some type of corruption. Wait until the expert's chime in, shouldn't be long.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jun 2010   #3
MCleveland

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by 205tim View Post
I've had this problem with a few videos in the past, I think it has something to do with the encoding or such of the specific video, possibly some type of corruption. Wait until the expert's chime in, shouldn't be long.
I was thinking the same thing. I'm hoping not though because I don't feel like converting them just for a small problem. Hopefully someone has an easier fix.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jun 2010   #4
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

Generally .avi files generate thumbnails automatically, and plays fine in WMP without applying any special codecs. Still you amy try a little trick . In Shark007's window, click on the AVI tab. It is set to Microsoft's splitter by default. You may change it to Gabests splitter or haalis splitter , if they make any difference. (pic 1).

But if it is a .mkv, use haalis splitter, and click on display thumbnail (pic 2)


Attached Images
No Thumbnails on some .AVIs-1.jpg No Thumbnails on some .AVIs-2.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #5
MCleveland

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Generally .avi files generate thumbnails automatically, and plays fine in WMP without applying any special codecs. Still you amy try a little trick . In Shark007's window, click on the AVI tab. It is set to Microsoft's splitter by default. You may change it to Gabests splitter or haalis splitter , if they make any difference. (pic 1).

But if it is a .mkv, use haalis splitter, and click on display thumbnail (pic 2)
Unfortunately using either of those didn't work either. Thanks though. This problem seems unsolvable.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #6
Shark007

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Open the Shark007 settings app with admin privileges
Go to the SWAP TAB and set the DMO codecs to disabled, and then re-enable them.
check for AVI thumbs.

Still none? read on . . .
Sometimes the AVI header information is not correct. Open the Settings Application WITHOUT administrative privileges. In the lower right of the Misc TAB is a dropbox where an AVI file can be dropped, and then press 'Fix it'. It writes a new file in the originating directory. This will correct any bad headers the AVI may have and allow the thumbs to be generated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #7
MCleveland

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shark007 View Post
Open the Shark007 settings app with admin privileges
Go to the SWAP TAB and set the DMO codecs to disabled, and then re-enable them.
check for AVI thumbs.

Still none? read on . . .
Sometimes the AVI header information is not correct. Open the Settings Application WITHOUT administrative privileges. In the lower right of the Misc TAB is a dropbox where an AVI file can be dropped, and then press 'Fix it'. It writes a new file in the originating directory. This will correct any bad headers the AVI may have and allow the thumbs to be generated.
None of that seem to work unfortunately, but I opened DivFix++ in the Tools folder and tried to fix it through that and it said it couldn't because "Error: Input file is not an AVI file!" The extension definitely is .avi. Something must be wrong with these files.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #8
MCleveland

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Also, I just tried playing these files through my PS3 and it gave me the error saying "This data is corrupted."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jun 2010   #9
Arc

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Insider Preview 64-bit
 
 

So MCleveland , I hope you got your answer yourself ... that there is some information corruption in your files.

As VLC plays those files, you may allow vlc to play those without any change, or otherwise you may apply HandBrake to make the information correct ; i.e. to recode those.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jun 2010   #10
MCleveland

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
So MCleveland , I hope you got your answer yourself ... that there is some information corruption in your files.

As VLC plays those files, you may allow vlc to play those without any change, or otherwise you may apply HandBrake to make the information correct ; i.e. to recode those.
That seems to be what I'm going to have to do. I just wish I could select many files at once and recode them back to .AVI with HandBrake as it only supports MP4 and MKV. I already tried one file and it went from 138MB (AVI file) to 151MB (MP4 file). Oh well. Thanks for the help everyone!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 No Thumbnails on some .AVIs




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
thumbnails
I want to always see picture thumbnails instead of icons but I only see icons.I have "show thumbnails instead of icons" unchecked in the view tab of folder options but I see icons instead of thumbnails and must be doing something wrong! Can someone straighten me out?
General Discussion
Disbale video thumbnails but keep images thumbnails
Hello guys Im new here. windows 7 64 bit 1.There is an option in folder options : ALWAYS SHOW ICONS, NEVER THUMBNAILS. Is it possible to set this option only to a specific folder not all folders? 2.If the answer to question above is no, so how can i disable thumbnails for a specific file...
Music, Pictures & Video
XVID AVIs crashes Windows Live Movie Maker
For some dumb reason, each time I try to open XVID-converted files into WLMM, it crashes it. I do have the XVID codec installed and everything is current, except, why is WLMM crashing?
Music, Pictures & Video
Broken AVIs
I don't have too many videos of this format, but it seems that every time that I play one with VLC, that it pops a warning that the file is broken, and offers to repair it. The repair always works, and the file will then play normally, but since I had played these files previously without any...
Music, Pictures & Video
thumbnails for FLV
I read how to make thumbnails for the FLV movies that I have but cannot find it again. It involved downloading codecs and an option that you checked to see thumbnails of the FLV's. Help! I would like to have thumbnails like for my MPG and WMV Thank you John
Music, Pictures & Video
avis in Recorded TV Library?
Hi Guys, I was wondering whether it was possible to put any avi files into the Recorded TV library, or does it just pick up some built-in file format? I've got quite a few TV programs in avi format, but I don't necessarily want them in the Movies Library, as it adds heaps of records and makes...
Media Center


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:53.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App