Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Homegroup died after router upgrade

21 Oct 2010   #11
Dion250

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Recreating the HomeGroup fixed it for me.

I also deleted all the files in

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

on all 3 PC's.. all can access each other now.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Oct 2010   #12
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Dion250 View Post
Recreating the HomeGroup fixed it for me.

I also deleted all the files in

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking

on all 3 PC's.. all can access each other now.
Thanks for pointing that out Dion250, that fix is number 4 in my Homegroup trouble shooting list.

Homegroup issues
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2010   #13
kormath

W7 Ultimate
 
 

I don't have any problems networking, i can ping each system and transfer files from the shared folders. I just can't get my laptop to see the desktop in the homegroup. Everytime i delete and recreate the homegroup on both systems the laptop keeps saying it's not in a homegroup after it successfully joined with my desktop. I'll try deleting the files in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking and see if that works.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Oct 2010   #14
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kormath View Post
I don't have any problems networking, i can ping each system and transfer files from the shared folders. I just can't get my laptop to see the desktop in the homegroup. Everytime i delete and recreate the homegroup on both systems the laptop keeps saying it's not in a homegroup after it successfully joined with my desktop. I'll try deleting the files in C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking and see if that works.
You may need to do that for all of your Homegroup machines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2010   #15
kormath

W7 Ultimate
 
 

I deleted all files/folders in that directory. Had to stop services first to delete everything. Then rebooted each machine. Network and Sharing Center says this laptop belongs to a homegroup still, but when i click the link for the homegroup from the Computer window, it says no homegroup computers are availabe form this laptop. The desktop can still see this laptop in the homegroup.

Thanks for all the ideas and tips so far, anything else I can try or should i wipe this laptop and go from there?

Update:
I got bored and wiped the computer anyway. Now during the windows installation when I type in the homegroup password it spins the circle for a bit then gives a cartoon bubble with a red X and says Windows cannot set up a homegroup on this computer. Oh and I reimiged it with Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit instead of 64 bit Home Premium that was factory installed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Oct 2010   #16
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

All I can suggest is too completely uninstall Norton as it's famous for causing problems like this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Oct 2010   #17
kormath

W7 Ultimate
 
 

I finally figured it out after needlessly wiping my laptop and spending good money on MS support, luckily they're giving me a refund since they didn't resolve the problem.

For some reason all of my sharing folders had been disabled on my desktop, except the ones that I manually set up to share. It dawned on me when i was redoing all the steps you awesome helpful people have advised and I noticed that when I chose the items to share in the homegroup setup they wouldn't stay checked off.

To fix it i had to manually go into each folder I wanted to share in the homegroup and choose the "Share with Homegroup (Read/Write)" option. Now all of my folders on the desktop are visible from my other computers in the homegroup.

Thanks again for all the help guys!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Nov 2010   #18
wround00

windows 7 home and pro 64 bit and 32 bit
 
 

Have you figured out how to get your home-group up and working. I have the exact same problem. I can see my laptops but cannot see my desktop. I upgraded to a Belkin N last week. It almost has to be something with the router. I cant waste my days anymore trying to figure it out. I hope someone smarter than me can find an answer. Wayne
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #19
kormath

W7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wround00 View Post
Have you figured out how to get your home-group up and working. I have the exact same problem. I can see my laptops but cannot see my desktop. I upgraded to a Belkin N last week. It almost has to be something with the router. I cant waste my days anymore trying to figure it out. I hope someone smarter than me can find an answer. Wayne
If you read the post above yours the fix is listed there. Simply put my sharing settings were messed up somehow, I had to share each folder I wanted on the home group manually and now it works fine.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Nov 2010   #20
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kormath View Post
I finally figured it out after needlessly wiping my laptop and spending good money on MS support, luckily they're giving me a refund since they didn't resolve the problem.

For some reason all of my sharing folders had been disabled on my desktop, except the ones that I manually set up to share. It dawned on me when i was redoing all the steps you awesome helpful people have advised and I noticed that when I chose the items to share in the homegroup setup they wouldn't stay checked off.

To fix it i had to manually go into each folder I wanted to share in the homegroup and choose the "Share with Homegroup (Read/Write)" option. Now all of my folders on the desktop are visible from my other computers in the homegroup.

Thanks again for all the help guys!
This is standard procedure for sharing files and folders on Windows 7.

This turorial explains how to set up permissions on file and folders.

https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ns.html?filter
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Homegroup died after router upgrade




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can't connect to homegroup via wireless router on laptop.
Problem is as stated, and I swear I have just about tried everything. Our network is pretty simple, our internet goes into our Modem/Router, which we have our main computer hooked up to, and then we have a second Wireless Router connected to that giving me wifi access to the internet. I have...
Network & Sharing
DIR-655 died; Need new router - One with the lot please
I'm sure I posted something about this a while ago but I can't find it. My DIR-655 has finally, and totally died. So it's time to replace it, and since I've had a bad run with DLink's I'm willing to look at other brands. I can do my own research, so I'm not asking anyone to do that for me,...
Network & Sharing
Homegroup: Can you add files on a USB HDD connected to a router?
Homegroup: Can you add files on a USB HDD connected to a router? I tried searching the forum but couldn't find anything. The USB HDD is a Western Digital 2 TB Usb 3, and I got it on a netgear router directly. I can see it on my network, but when I try to link directery's or files to the...
Network & Sharing
Homegroup not working since router change
I have a PC and two laptops running W7 HP which have been happily connected via a Homegroup since W7 Beta. Last week I had to replace my router and in doing so change the wireless SSID and security key which the two laptops use - the PC is connected via ethernet. Now both the laptops can see...
Network & Sharing
homegroup with router
is it possible to join a homegroup with 2 pc connected to a router (wired)?
Network & Sharing
Homegroup through router
I have a desktop and notebook running Windows 7. I can create a Homegroup for each of them, but I never see an option to join an existing Homegroup. My desktop is wired to a router. The notebook wirelessly connects to the router. What exactly do I need to do to get one of these computers...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App