What's your Internet Speed?


  1. Posts : 1,251
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
       #1481

    tkrojam said:
    You know, the proportion of broadband popularity in both South Korea and Japan are at the top of the world!
    To most people those >700 Mbps download and >400 Mbps upload speeds are just about as useful as driving a Ferrari capable of 300+ kph speeds in downtown Tokyo at rush hour in that for most people there just are not 100's of GB of data that you have to download every month to justify the need for those incredible speeds.

    I've attached a screenshot from my Bandwidth Meter Pro stats showing about 3 weeks of online download and upload activity and as you can see the multiple GB of daily activity which could genuinely utilize and justify a 20X faster download speed than I currently have just aren't there. Like many others here I started out with 56 Kbps dial-up service and I now find my current Broadband service to be quite adequate for my current needs downloading and uploading needs...



    ~Maxx~

    .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails What's your Internet Speed?-...downloads-uploads.jpg  
    Last edited by Maxxwire; 06 Jun 2011 at 05:33.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 96
    Windows 7 VL (64-bit)
       #1482

    I see your point but I don't mean to show anything off. Instead, I just wanna bring the situation of global speed out and discuss on it. I have expressed my point of view previously stating that speed is only a number game and I feel no difference on speed for usual usage either 100Mbps or 1Gbps unless for those torrent enthusiasts. That's why I choose the lower speed plan only even there is only HK$59 difference on price. Besides, I seldom utilize the full bandwidth except the moments of BitTorrent with local peers whose connections are high enough also.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,251
    Windows 7 x64 Home Premium
       #1483

    tkrojam said:
    I feel no difference on speed for usual usage either 100Mbps or 1Gbps.
    You are right that these are just calculated tests of speed. I feel the same way about browser benchmark tests like Peacekeeper in that Firefox scores only half of what Opera does on the test and yet they both feel equally fast when using them on the internet.

    ~Maxx~

    .
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 3,427
    Windows 10 Pro x64
       #1484

    Hell yeah. my ADSL2+ finally got switched on today. My download and upload speeds have tripled!

    Before (from my speed wave, forgot to get a capture before the update, the speeds were pretty consistant though, so there is not much "averaging" going on):
    What's your Internet Speed?-adsl1.png

    After:
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 296
    Windows 7 Professional
       #1485

      My Computer


  6. Posts : 96
    Windows 7 VL (64-bit)
       #1486

    severedsolo said:
    Hell yeah. my ADSL2+ finally got switched on today. My download and upload speeds have tripled!

    Before (from my speed wave, forgot to get a capture before the update, the speeds were pretty consistant though, so there is not much "averaging" going on):
    What's your Internet Speed?-adsl1.png

    After:
    Congratulations.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 10
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64
       #1487

    Here's mine:

    What's your Internet Speed?-1334863601.png

    Not bad considering I'm paying for 15/2.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 28,845
    Win 8 Release candidate 8400
       #1488

    With SP-1 downloading.
    Last edited by zigzag3143; 28 Feb 2012 at 23:40.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 3,822
    Windows10 Pro - 64Bit vs.10547
       #1489

    What's your Internet Speed?-speedtest2.jpg

    - I believe Virginmedia are looking into ways of improving upload speeds..

    - they appear clueless re. ipv6, though..
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,496
    7 Ultimate x64
       #1490

    Maxxwire said:
    ... To most people those >700 Mbps download and >400 Mbps upload speeds are just about as useful as driving a Ferrari capable of 300+ kph speeds in downtown Tokyo at rush hour in that for most people there just are not 100's of GB of data that you have to download every month to justify the need for those incredible speeds.

    I've attached a screenshot from my Bandwidth Meter Pro stats showing about 3 weeks of online download and upload activity and as you can see the multiple GB of daily activity which could genuinely utilize and justify a 20X faster download speed than I currently have just aren't there. Like many others here I started out with 56 Kbps dial-up service and I now find my current Broadband service to be quite adequate for my current needs downloading and uploading needs...
    Oh c'mon... the Ferrari analogy just doesn't apply. It's about time; not usage. Just because you don't use 100GB's a month doesn't mean people don't/won't/can't. I've heard the argument, and I just don't buy it: "anything over 100MB "can't" be legal.... rubbish.

    ISP's are crippling Netflix. I can't get 1080p movies only because of ISP's... not because of netflix, not because of me.

    ATT just sent me a letter informing me they're going to place bandwidth caps on their service. 150GB for regular dsl, 250GB a month for U-verse. Needless to say, I'm looking at Sonic right now.

    We would all love to have speed like the rest of the western world, but for some reason here in America we've decided to stay with 3rd world internet service and let them charge us premium rates.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27.
Find Us