Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Domain Join issue

09 Nov 2010   #1
Ejrapurado

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 
Domain Join issue

Hey Guys,

Im a bit of a noob with Windows 7 and am currently fumbling my way through the OS.

We are in the process of deploying Windows 7 to our domain. At the moment we have a Windows Server 2003 native domain but currently have Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controllers.

We are having an issue at the moment with joining Windows 7 machines to the domain. They are joining fine (according to the PC) however, their computer accounts are not showing up in AD.

Initially i thought it was an issue with replication as we have many domain controllers across our sites. However, after waiting for about 3 days (i know replication doesnt take this long but i was hoping...) the computer accounts still did not appear.

Has anyone seen this issue before and or heard about this happening?

Any help or a solution would be great.

Thanks guys.

Ed.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Nov 2010   #2
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

have you checked under all of the computer bins???
I am running my ad on 2008 and it used to be based off a 2008r2 machine but I wanted to play with IIS 7.5 so I changed roles of reach machine. I have not had any problems regarding pcs not showing up.

*if i hadnt just locked myself out of my new firewall system I would jump onto the vpn and check things out and see if I could find out why you are having that problem in setting...*
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #3
Ejrapurado

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Doing a search through AD for Computer accounts doesnt find it. Do i need to be looking through all of the bins?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Nov 2010   #4
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

from the actual machine there s a way to see what container you are in... I just forget how.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #5
Ejrapurado

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Also adding to the first post. I have tested the domain join with a Windows XP machine and it is fine. Once the machine has joined, the computer account is there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #6
mckillwashere

Windows 7 x86/x64, Server 2008r2, Web Server 2008
 
 

Do the machines show up in dns on the ad machine??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #7
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ejrapurado View Post
Hey Guys,

Im a bit of a noob with Windows 7 and am currently fumbling my way through the OS.

We are in the process of deploying Windows 7 to our domain. At the moment we have a Windows Server 2003 native domain but currently have Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controllers.

We are having an issue at the moment with joining Windows 7 machines to the domain. They are joining fine (according to the PC) however, their computer accounts are not showing up in AD.

Initially i thought it was an issue with replication as we have many domain controllers across our sites. However, after waiting for about 3 days (i know replication doesnt take this long but i was hoping...) the computer accounts still did not appear.

Has anyone seen this issue before and or heard about this happening?

Any help or a solution would be great.

Thanks guys.

Ed.
When you are on the DC search for the computer by searching the entire AD. Maybe your DC is putting the computer in some other place.

What happens to the Windows 7 machine if you reboot it 4 or 5 times are you allowed to log into the domain on the Windows 7 machine? Can you log in with some other domain account? I just want to make sure the Windows 7 machine is REALLY on the domain.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #8
Ejrapurado

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

No they don't.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #9
Ejrapurado

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WindowsStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ejrapurado View Post
Hey Guys,

Im a bit of a noob with Windows 7 and am currently fumbling my way through the OS.

We are in the process of deploying Windows 7 to our domain. At the moment we have a Windows Server 2003 native domain but currently have Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controllers.

We are having an issue at the moment with joining Windows 7 machines to the domain. They are joining fine (according to the PC) however, their computer accounts are not showing up in AD.

Initially i thought it was an issue with replication as we have many domain controllers across our sites. However, after waiting for about 3 days (i know replication doesnt take this long but i was hoping...) the computer accounts still did not appear.

Has anyone seen this issue before and or heard about this happening?

Any help or a solution would be great.

Thanks guys.

Ed.
When you are on the DC search for the computer by searching the entire AD. Maybe your DC is putting the computer in some other place.

What happens to the Windows 7 machine if you reboot it 4 or 5 times are you allowed to log into the domain on the Windows 7 machine? Can you log in with some other domain account? I just want to make sure the Windows 7 machine is REALLY on the domain.
I have actually done the search under the entire domain and it still cannot find it. I do find an issue when i reboot say 2 or 3 times. It gives me 2 different types of errors. First one is the "trust relationship" error and the 2nd one is "The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship"....

This looks to me that the issue is with creating the computer account... I have tried renaming this PC and then re-joining it to no avail. I have also tried other Win 7 machines with the same result. Win XP machines can join without any issues...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Nov 2010   #10
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Ejrapurado View Post
I have actually done the search under the entire domain and it still cannot find it. I do find an issue when i reboot say 2 or 3 times. It gives me 2 different types of errors. First one is the "trust relationship" error and the 2nd one is "The security database on the server does not have a computer account for this workstation trust relationship"....
This means the Windows 7 machine never added to the domain.

Something to try: Make sure your DATE/TIME and TIME ZONE on the Windows 7 machine is exactly the same as the DC before you add the machine to the domain.

Let us know.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Domain Join issue




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cannot join domain
On an HP Windows 7 64-bit machine I get the error message "An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain "ad.mackaysstores.co.uk" could not be contacted." This machine is set up the same as all the others on the network and has worked before so I don't know what's changed?
Network & Sharing
How to join a domain via VPN
We have a user who works remotely from home. I would like to add his machine to our domain (as we do in the office) so that he can log in and operate as if he was here. Can this be done easily? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Network & Sharing
win7 cannot join domain
Hi guys, I desparetely need help: here is my problem: I got a domain controller just implelemted, now all my xp pc can join the domain, but none win 7 is being able to ! I have try all, but it, when i add the win 7 to the domain , it promt me the user and password, but then is give the DNS...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 unable to Join 2003 Domain, offline Join erro
Hello to all, I have a Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 Every time I try to join the 2003 server Domain, I got the error attached in the post. Im not trying to do a offline joint, the W7 can ping the domain IP, and can resolve the domain name. I hope anyone can help me...
Network & Sharing
Win 7 can not join domain
Dear all i just buy a new notebook with win 7 pro, but i get a problem when to connect it into our domain (win 2003 service pack 2). I can ping another ip in network but i can not ping our DC, there are message request time out. So when i change the connection from control panel->system it's...
Network & Sharing
Cannot Join NT4 Domain
Hello all... I just installed build 7000 and I'm having issues connecting to my domain at work. I cannot setup my Outlook account either because my network exchange server is NT4 based. I have tried setting up my account via Outlook and via the "Mail" portion of Control Panel to no avail......
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:46.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App