Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unidentified Network

10 Nov 2010   #1
jkjs

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
Unidentified Network

I just installed Windows 7 64-bit on a system and can not get a connection to my router which I am connected to through a cable. (interestingly I first did a 32-bit install and it worked fine)

I do not have Bonjour or that funky string in my Services.
I installed the updated driver for my adaptor.

I have tried setting the IP address manually - did not work
(I used all the information from this PC that is working for the one that is not - yes I did give it a different IP address)

I have disabled IPv6 - did not work

I have un-installed the Adapter - did not work

I have rebooted the computer and the router - did not work.

I have tried to PING my router - packets sent = 4, received = 0, Lost = 4 (100%)

I have tried ipconfig/release and ipconfig renew and I get this

Quote:
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
Here is my current Ipconfig/all

Quote:
Ethernet adapter local area connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description .............................: Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Physical address ......................: 00-1C-25-3D-CA-E0
DHCP Enabled ..........................: yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled ..........: yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address....: 169.254.173.101 (Preferred)
Subnet Mask ........................... : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway .......................:
NetBIOS over Tcpip ...................: Enabled
A few observations - shouldn't my Subnet mask be 255.255.255.0
and shouldn't I have a Default Gateway address?

Any suggestions?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Nov 2010   #2
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jkjs View Post
I just installed Windows 7 64-bit on a system and can not get a connection to my router which I am connected to through a cable. (interestingly I first did a 32-bit install and it worked fine)

I do not have Bonjour or that funky string in my Services.
I installed the updated driver for my adaptor.

I have tried setting the IP address manually - did not work
(I used all the information from this PC that is working for the one that is not - yes I did give it a different IP address)

I have disabled IPv6 - did not work

I have un-installed the Adapter - did not work

I have rebooted the computer and the router - did not work.

I have tried to PING my router - packets sent = 4, received = 0, Lost = 4 (100%)

I have tried ipconfig/release and ipconfig renew and I get this

Quote:
An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
Here is my current Ipconfig/all

Quote:
Ethernet adapter local area connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description .............................: Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Physical address ......................: 00-1C-25-3D-CA-E0
DHCP Enabled ..........................: yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled ..........: yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address....: 169.254.173.101 (Preferred)
Subnet Mask ........................... : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway .......................:
NetBIOS over Tcpip ...................: Enabled
A few observations - shouldn't my Subnet mask be 255.255.255.0
and shouldn't I have a Default Gateway address?

Any suggestions?

The 169.254.173.01 is a local IP (of course).

I am thinking the most obvious which is driver.

Can you look in device manager to see if it is there and working.

Please go to start>search>type device manager.
Are there any "unknown devices" with yellow triangles on them?
Is you driver there , listed, and working?

If your driver is missing, or there is a yellow triangle on it, you will need to update it.


Let us know if you need additional help


Ken
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #3
jkjs

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Hi Ken

The address " 169.254.173.101" is not relevant to my system. My local IP addresses are of the 192.168.0.XXX variety.

I have been reading here and elsewhere that somehow my system can't find the Default Gateway to have a local IP address assigned using the DHCP (I think I am using the terminology correctly). That is why I tried manually entering all the information in and I still can't connected.

If you notice, my Default Gateway is empty.

The system works fine when I am using Windows 7 32-bit. It is only when I upgrade to Windows 64-bit that I have the problem.

Is there a way to use the 32-bit driver in the 64-bit OS?

thanks

joe

p.s. I installed the 64-bit driver for the ethernet card from the manufacturer. That didn't help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Nov 2010   #4
allend66

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 OEM --> RTM clean install
 
 

I had problems with mine once - the small reset button on the bottom of the router seemed to solve it, for me at least. The only trouble is you have to reopen/forward your ports if you have any set up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #5
jkjs

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by allend66 View Post
I had problems with mine once - the small reset button on the bottom of the router seemed to solve it, for me at least. The only trouble is you have to reopen/forward your ports if you have any set up.
I have seen this as a solution as well but have't tried it because I have one system that connects via a LAN cable with no problem and one that won't. To me it seems the issue is with the system that can't connect and not the router. yes?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #6
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jkjs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by allend66 View Post
I had problems with mine once - the small reset button on the bottom of the router seemed to solve it, for me at least. The only trouble is you have to reopen/forward your ports if you have any set up.
I have seen this as a solution as well but have't tried it because I have one system that connects via a LAN cable with no problem and one that won't. To me it seems the issue is with the system that can't connect and not the router. yes?
Incorrect, most routers will require a firmware update in order to work properly with Windows 7 machines. As it stands you aren't getting anything from your router at all, no default gateway, IP,or subnet nothing at all.

I would suggest you update your firmware on your router as it's been know to fix this exact problem on many occasion. If that doesn't fix the problem then it can only be a driver problem of some sort.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #7
jkjs

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jkjs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by allend66 View Post
I had problems with mine once - the small reset button on the bottom of the router seemed to solve it, for me at least. The only trouble is you have to reopen/forward your ports if you have any set up.
I have seen this as a solution as well but have't tried it because I have one system that connects via a LAN cable with no problem and one that won't. To me it seems the issue is with the system that can't connect and not the router. yes?
Incorrect, most routers will require a firmware update in order to work properly with Windows 7 machines. As it stands you aren't getting anything from your router at all, no default gateway, IP,or subnet nothing at all.

I would suggest you update your firmware on your router as it's been know to fix this exact problem on many occasion. If that doesn't fix the problem then it can only be a driver problem of some sort.
I checked. My router has the most recent firmware installed so it must be a driver issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #8
tezlewis

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit
 
 

Sounds like MAC Adress Filtering in the router. I use this for extra protection at router level and sounds exactly like the MAC address isnt in the filter to be allowed so wont connect. Try a reset as JKJS suggested. Most routers allow you to back up your current settings so if it doesnt resolve it you can reload the same settings.

Whats the make/model of router?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #9
jkjs

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

The Router is a Linksys E3000.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2010   #10
zigzag3143

Win 8 Release candidate 8400
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jkjs View Post
Hi Ken

The address " 169.254.173.101" is not relevant to my system. My local IP addresses are of the 192.168.0.XXX variety.

I have been reading here and elsewhere that somehow my system can't find the Default Gateway to have a local IP address assigned using the DHCP (I think I am using the terminology correctly). That is why I tried manually entering all the information in and I still can't connected.

If you notice, my Default Gateway is empty.

The system works fine when I am using Windows 7 32-bit. It is only when I upgrade to Windows 64-bit that I have the problem.

Is there a way to use the 32-bit driver in the 64-bit OS?

thanks

joe

p.s. I installed the 64-bit driver for the ethernet card from the manufacturer. That didn't help

Nope you cant use the 32bit driver on 64, is there a 64 bit driver available? What subnet mask are you using with the 169.254.x.x??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unidentified Network




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Fresh install of Win7 *unidentified network/no network access*
I've freshly installed Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit on my system that previously had Ubuntu installed, and prior to ubuntu had win7 ultimate installed. With the fresh install of win7, I receive an unidentified network/no network access issue. Heres a list of things ive tried: - reset the...
Network & Sharing
Unidentified Network - No Network Access - Win7 64bit
For some time now my internet would be fine for 1hour after booting up my computer and then the network would then fail to be recognized. I have followed multiple tutorials on the internet, with countless suggestions, where other people have had the same problem. Some seem to fix the problem for a...
Network & Sharing
Unidentified Network - No Network Access, since downloading Windows 7
I had Windows Vista and everything was fine, today I decided to use my free Windows 7 upgrade and I can't connect through my router. It started when I downloaded Windows 7 and I went to connect and it showed my network it said "Unable to connect to "network"". Then after a little why, it didn't...
Network & Sharing
Unidentified Network; No Network Access - Powerline Adapters
Hello 7Forums. I'll start off with the scenario that brings me here. Today, I managed to redecorate my bedroom; where my computer sat on top of a shaky, wooden desk. That desk is now gone, caput, and replaced by a much bigger, sturdier and prettier glass replacement. Before I dissasembled...
Network & Sharing
unidentified network - public network Windows 7 64bit
Hello all, I have tried all the similar solutions to my problem but non eworks. I have just installed WIndows 7 Home 64bit. Wireless works (slooooooow). The cable from my Billion router/modem is recognised but does not work. In network and sharing centre I can see Wireless as Home...
Network & Sharing
Cant change unidentified network to work network
Ive just installed W7 7600 HP on to one of our work PC's and it says its connected to an unidentified network. I cant change it to work network or even Home network but the strange thing is its working fine. All our other PC's can see it and share files on it etc and i have internet access on it....
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App