Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: pppoe slow speed

06 Jun 2011   #11
liks

 
 

Thanks for your responses.
Checked with ethernet mode. speed 1mpbs
Checked with router 0.2 mpbs

My ISP has some unquailifed call center support and they wouldn't understand what I would try to do.

So is this some ISP limit to divide the speed by 1/4 speed or what.

Thanks for throwing any idea here.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
07 Jun 2011   #12
WebMattR

W7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by liks View Post
Thanks for your responses.
Checked with ethernet mode. speed 1mpbs
Checked with router 0.2 mpbs

My ISP has some unquailifed call center support and they wouldn't understand what I would try to do.

So is this some ISP limit to divide the speed by 1/4 speed or what.

Thanks for throwing any idea here.
Well, if you're getting 1mbps into the modem, then I'd say it's an issue between the modem and the router. What kind of shape is the cable between the two in, and how old is the Router? It may just need replacement.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #13
Layback Bear

Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709
 
 

To make sure I understand you correctly; you are receiving 1 meg to and through your modem and once the signal goes to and through your router you get .2 is that correct.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jun 2011   #14
liks

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by WebMattR View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by liks View Post
Thanks for your responses.
Checked with ethernet mode. speed 1mpbs
Checked with router 0.2 mpbs

My ISP has some unquailifed call center support and they wouldn't understand what I would try to do.

So is this some ISP limit to divide the speed by 1/4 speed or what.

Thanks for throwing any idea here.
Well, if you're getting 1mbps into the modem, then I'd say it's an issue between the modem and the router. What kind of shape is the cable between the two in, and how old is the Router? It may just need replacement.
Router is Belkin G. Problem is between router and modem but I don't know if it's some ISP limitation or what?



@Layback That is correct.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #15
fafhrd

Win 7 Ult + Starter, XP Pro +Home, 2kAS, Linux Mint 8, SuperOS
 
 

I think you are saying this:

With your belkin 54g router you only get 0.2Mbps by wireless.

With ethernet cable direct to your modem, you get 1Mbps.

I can't understand why or how an ISP would give you 1Mbps at the modem then throttle your wireless down to 20%.

How do you measure the bandwidth speeds?

Does Windows report you are getting 54Mbps through your wireless adapter?

Still, despite requests to do so, you do not supply your specifications, Liks - so it is difficult to comment - you may have a wireless adapter that is only capable of low transfer speeds, it may be badly configured.

I don't know if your computer is a laptop that you can move to a different wifi source with known good bandwidth, or if someone you know can see if they get poor bandwidth from your router.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #16
liks

 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fafhrd View Post
I think you are saying this:

With your belkin 54g router you only get 0.2Mbps by wireless.

With ethernet cable direct to your modem, you get 1Mbps.

I can't understand why or how an ISP would give you 1Mbps at the modem then throttle your wireless down to 20%.

How do you measure the bandwidth speeds?

Does Windows report you are getting 54Mbps through your wireless adapter?

Still, despite requests to do so, you do not supply your specifications, Liks - so it is difficult to comment - you may have a wireless adapter that is only capable of low transfer speeds, it may be badly configured.

I don't know if your computer is a laptop that you can move to a different wifi source with known good bandwidth, or if someone you know can see if they get poor bandwidth from your router.
Here is the thing. I had ISP (A) that had dynamic IPs and it worked great with Belking G Router, but for some reasons I had to move to ISP (B) and the same router is throttling the speed to .2mpbs.

ISP (B) is knowing for limitation to not share pppoe to wireless.

I hope I was clear.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2011   #17
WebMattR

W7 Professional x64
 
 

Are you allowed to supply your own router? If so, go buy a different router, and set your own password and such on it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 pppoe slow speed




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I change CD-ROM speed? (Transfer speed is extremely slow)
Hello guys! So I bought this kick-ass laptop from MSI. It is pretty good. These are the specs (in case they aid in finding a solution to my problem): Name: MSI WorkStation Series GT60 2OKWS-674US OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 bit CPU: 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7-4800MQ
Hardware & Devices
How to slow down fan speed?
G'day hardware geeks..... My Thermaltake Element S case has two inbuilt 22cm fans that plug directly into the PSU. They are a little bit noisy, and I was looking to lower their RPM to take the edge off the whir. Initially, I was considering purchasing a dedicated fan control to fit into a...
Hardware & Devices
Slow speed, fast speed, slow speed.
Recently moved house and had installed my internet today, the exact same setup. Right now the only difference with this setup is that the router is plugged into my laptop, and if anything, it's closer to my computer than it was in the previous house. My problem is that it randomly goes slow...
Network & Sharing
fast download speed but browseing speed slow.
hallo i have a problem last 1 week.my downloas speed well..but browseing speed slow.i playing online games.watch movie. its soo low its too pain full.i cant under stand why?..i am from srilanka.internet line ADSL.. prolink router..512KB/s line..plz help me.
Network & Sharing
What's with the slow speed?!
Hey, my computer has suddenly gotten super, super slow after restarting... I have a 3.5GHz OC and 4GB RAM so I would think it would be quite fast. Well, it was untill the restart. The disk activity LED is constantly on now. :cry: Logging in takes alot more time aswell... Can anyone tell me...
Performance & Maintenance
VERY slow LAN Speed
Hello, I have speed issues when working with files on the LAN network. They open and save much much slower than XP. On the other hand the ADSL internet connection is fine and running at full speed. What is the problem? The computer is brand new i7 2600k + 16GB ram and ASUS P8P67 motherboard...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:53.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App