DNS lookup failed


  1. Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
       #1

    DNS lookup failed


    For the past month, I have been getting this error two or three times a day:

    The server at Google can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network. (Google Chrome)

    I've contacted my network administrator and she said that she isn't having any problems connecting to my router and the problem must be from my PC. The only way of fixing the problem is to Disable/Enable my current connection. I've looked up on Google for numerous solutions and I've tried some of them but none resolved my problem.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #2

    Attyize said:
    For the past month, I have been getting this error two or three times a day:

    The server at Google can't be found, because the DNS lookup failed. DNS is the network service that translates a website's name to its Internet address. This error is most often caused by having no connection to the Internet or a misconfigured network. It can also be caused by an unresponsive DNS server or a firewall preventing Google Chrome from accessing the network. (Google Chrome)

    I've contacted my network administrator and she said that she isn't having any problems connecting to my router and the problem must be from my PC. The only way of fixing the problem is to Disable/Enable my current connection. I've looked up on Google for numerous solutions and I've tried some of them but none resolved my problem.

    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    If you can post a screen shot of the ipconfig/all from this machine I may be able to help. :)
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #4

    It might help if you type the DNS server directly into the IPv4 properties window.

    As it stands you are aren't picking up the DNS server from the router or modem?

    The picture below shows you where to type the DNS. The one's shown are Google's DNS servers. After choosing IPv4 for this connection just right click and choose properties.

    This is just to work around the problem as it appears to be a chrome only problem in which case simply flushing the DNS cache might help, use this command at the command prompt. ipconfig/flushdns

    One solution posted was this: I did the following; Go to Control Panel, Admin tools, Services, right click on DNS Client and reset. Same for DHCP Client service. Then to CMD window and enter IPCONFIG/FLUSHDNS.
    You can read more about this problem in the link below.
    http://productforums.google.com/foru...me/B4k68v6IHxs
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DNS lookup failed-static-dns-google.png  
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
    Thread Starter
       #5

    Okay, I tried your last solution and let's give it time to see if the problem occurs again.
    By the way, my problem appears in all browsers.

    Thanks a lot for your help
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Still doesn't work. I even did an in-depth scan with ESET Smart Security because recently I have been getting Detected DNS cache poisoning attack notifications from my antivirus. There were no threats found from the scan. Furthermore, I'm now using Google's DNS servers to see if this work around works. Now, I'll be performing a DNS flush that I found in this thread: Detected DNS cache poisoning attack.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #7

    Attyize said:
    Still doesn't work. I even did an in-depth scan with ESET Smart Security because recently I have been getting Detected DNS cache poisoning attack notifications from my antivirus. There were no threats found from the scan. Furthermore, I'm now using Google's DNS servers to see if this work around works. Now, I'll be performing a DNS flush that I found in this thread: Detected DNS cache poisoning attack.
    If you ran the command I posted "ipconfig/flushdns the DNS is already flushed.

    The other command that Jacee posted is just to reset the IP, flush DNS and reset the network stack and winsock.

    I already have the entire file converted from an .exe to a batch file which is easier to run. Save and unzip then run the file, your machine will automatically reboot. :)

    As for the DNS cache poisoning attack. Most updated A/V's should be able to detect and remove this.
    If not there is a manual procedure for this in the link below.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_6395264_remo...ger-virus.html
    DNS lookup failed Attached Files
    Last edited by chev65; 02 Aug 2012 at 11:56.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 5
    Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit
    Thread Starter
       #8

    It still doesn't work even with the work around. I even tried your IPResetALL.zip file but without any luck.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:09.
Find Us