Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Not sure on "Sync Center's" usefullness for a 1 pc homegroup setup.

15 Jul 2013   #1
rugo32

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 
Not sure on "Sync Center's" usefullness for a 1 pc homegroup setup.

Hello, I am not real sure whether or not I would need to enable Sync Center (offline files) given my setup. I have 1 computer that never leaves home and does not do anything fancy like VPN's, so given my stats would think that I could go ahead and change my offline settings from automatic to either manual or disable, could I get some clarification on this please? thanks in advance.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jul 2013   #2
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

With only one PC, what would you sync to? IT could be used for making changes to images or backups
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2013   #3
rugo32

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I should have mentioned that I do have a Seagate "Go Flex" NAS device that I would like to someday use for backup purposes (if I ever figure it out) but nothing in place now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

16 Jul 2013   #4
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

The NAS can be added as a network device and would be as accessible as any drive. Attach it to your router, open Computer, click Map Network Drive and follow the prompts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2013   #5
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rugo32 View Post
Hello, I am not real sure whether or not I would need to enable Sync Center (offline files) given my setup. I have 1 computer that never leaves home and does not do anything fancy like VPN's, so given my stats would think that I could go ahead and change my offline settings from automatic to either manual or disable, could I get some clarification on this please? thanks in advance.
If your machine does not leave the network and you do not have a roaming profile (files and profile stored onto a server) then you can disable it. Sync centre was mainly used so that a remote office user could have their files and folders and profile stored locally when they were out of the office and then allow it to sync once connected to the organisations domain.

Hope this helps to clarify,
Josh! :)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2013   #6
diplo

Windows 7 Profession x64
 
 

Personally I think the NAS would be best used as a backup device in your situation. Sync center is useful for mobile users that have mapped network drives but even then it can be buggy and cause problems.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2013   #7
rugo32

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

This indeed, has some user profile implications. At one time, I used it for my IT classes, now done with school trying to cheap fully do a wipe and load ,something always trips me tho.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Jul 2013   #8
rugo32

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by diplo View Post
Personally I think the NAS would be best used as a backup device in your situation. Sync center is useful for mobile users that have mapped network drives but even then it can be buggy and cause problems.

It is a Seagate Go-Flex, I don't think it is truelly a NAS...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Jul 2013   #9
Shadowjk

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 ; Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
 
 

A NAS is any storage device on the network (does not have to have the ability to run iSCSI targets)

This tutorial should show how to disable offline files - Offline Files - Enable or Disable the Use Of

You will need to reboot the machine in order to fully apply the changes

Hope this helps,
Josh! :)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jul 2013   #10
rugo32

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Shadowjk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by rugo32 View Post
Hello, I am not real sure whether or not I would need to enable Sync Center (offline files) given my setup. I have 1 computer that never leaves home and does not do anything fancy like VPN's, so given my stats would think that I could go ahead and change my offline settings from automatic to either manual or disable, could I get some clarification on this please? thanks in advance.
If your machine does not leave the network and you do not have a roaming profile (files and profile stored onto a server) then you can disable it. Sync centre was mainly used so that a remote office user could have their files and folders and profile stored locally when they were out of the office and then allow it to sync once connected to the organisations domain.

Hope this helps to clarify,
Josh! :)
Josh, that's also my interpretation of the Sync Center... AKA "Branch Cache", thanks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Not sure on "Sync Center's" usefullness for a 1 pc homegroup setup.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Setup Stuck at "Setup is starting..."
last week, my windows 10 upgraded laptop always gets not responding, then i decided to format my laptop and reinstall windows 7, when i was copying my important files to data d, suddenly it crashed then stucks at the start up loading, then i tried to do the automatic repair and just reset it, then...
Installation & Setup
unable to sync files to my SanDisk Sport "error" no other information
I am unable to sync around two dozen songs to my SanDisk Sport! Windows Media Player shows a red x at about 20 - 30 of them with just the word "Error". no other information is showing. right clicking on the x and selecting "error details" does nothing. If I try those songs again, same "error"...
General Discussion
WINDOWS 7 Setup stuck at "setup is starting"
WINDOWS 7 Setup stuck at "setup is starting" in my acer aspire...........and waited for 1 hour and finally went to partition drivers ........ i pressed next and i am stuck at Copying Windows Files (0%)........and finally after half an hour...it came.................."Windows could not format...
Installation & Setup
"Everyone" and "HomeGroup" Permissions on the same folder
So I want to share with another win7 laptop folder A, which has folder B, and a file name C. Folder A currently has "Everyone" AND "HomeGroup" permission, folder B has "Everyone", and file C has "HomeGroup". I set the network location to "Home Network" when I connect 2 laptops directly using a...
Network & Sharing
"Noise" display - loss of sync? refresh problem? cause?
gang I confess this is a Vista-related problem but I need an idea or three. this is a good fast hp minitower, Athlon x64-based, that I previously CAREfully reworked Vista Business on and had it lean/mean/clean and fast. A year later it needed work - when booting up normally and logging in to the...
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:31.
Twitter Facebook Google+