Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: LAN speed query

05 May 2009   #11
FreakyFerret

 
 

weh, love the page!

Hey, Digger, I'm ordering new cable for the office. I told the sale rep I plan to make the office fully gigabit. I want to get that full 1,000 Mb/s transfer speed. (I know I won't.) He quoted me for a 500 Mhz rated cable. The price seemed kinda low, and the rating seemed a bit low too. He did assure me though that it would more than adequate and it is labeled as CAT6 cable (not CAT5e). What you think?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
05 May 2009   #12
Digger

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FreakyFerret View Post
weh, love the page!

Hey, Digger, I'm ordering new cable for the office. I told the sale rep I plan to make the office fully gigabit. I want to get that full 1,000 Mb/s transfer speed. (I know I won't.) He quoted me for a 500 Mhz rated cable. The price seemed kinda low, and the rating seemed a bit low too. He did assure me though that it would more than adequate and it is labeled as CAT6 cable (not CAT5e). What you think?
should be good. you will find 550Mhz and 600Mhz around, check some quotes on that.... just cuz. Wont see a huge improvement, but with ISP's wanting to shift to 50mbit and 100/10 mbit connections in the near future for HD streaming, this would be a useful investment in any network, even if you dont use any HD or teleconferencing on the network, especially with multiple users. You can find a box of 1000 @550 between $0.15-.27 per ft is a usual guesstimate, depending on type, Mhz rate, stranded or not, and even color. So..... happy shopping
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2009   #13
FreakyFerret

 
 

Found a 1,000 FT box. 550 Mhz. Solid since I plan to rewire building with jacks in the wall (and caps at other end into managed switches). $189, so that's about 19 cents per foot. Good deal I think, was afraid too good.

Also we'll be going to a Fiber connection here soon for ISP. Our city is doing the Fiber to the Home Initative. We'll have a 50 Mb connection (down and up) for just $58 a month. We could go full 100 Mb for $200, but I don't think it's worth it. What's even more fun is the branch office I have to manage is a few blocks away, so it'll have a fiber connection as well. And one of the benefits of the fiber here is if you connect to another fiber customer, you get a full 100 Mb connection to that site for free. Our branch office will wind up having a full duplex 100 Mb connection to our main office for just $120 a month. I'm probably going with the 30 Mb at home for $45 a month.

My home will have it available in 30 days. Main office in about 90 days. Branch office in about 120 days. Whee!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 May 2009   #14
Digger

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FreakyFerret View Post
Found a 1,000 FT box. 550 Mhz. Solid since I plan to rewire building with jacks in the wall (and caps at other end into managed switches). $189, so that's about 19 cents per foot. Good deal I think, was afraid too good.

Also we'll be going to a Fiber connection here soon for ISP. Our city is doing the Fiber to the Home Initative. We'll have a 50 Mb connection (down and up) for just $58 a month. We could go full 100 Mb for $200, but I don't think it's worth it. What's even more fun is the branch office I have to manage is a few blocks away, so it'll have a fiber connection as well. And one of the benefits of the fiber here is if you connect to another fiber customer, you get a full 100 Mb connection to that site for free. Our branch office will wind up having a full duplex 100 Mb connection to our main office for just $120 a month. I'm probably going with the 30 Mb at home for $45 a month.

My home will have it available in 30 days. Main office in about 90 days. Branch office in about 120 days. Whee!
wow, what town did you luck into living in? 'Nawlins? I could imagine so, if so, since they are rebuilding everything from scratch down there and around the whole gulf area now. I know the area a little there myself, fair grounds... and a lil north LA downs, and the bull ring evangeline. But that is a sweet deal on a pipe down there (except for the 100/10 package, lil pricey). I would expect you also to see some groundbreaking HD packages real real soon then. Hottest test bed atm i know of has been Tampa/st. pete. this is good words to hear tho... as other cities have taken up the tampa fibre innitiative. 6 years overdue if you want my opinion. This is when it all started, then abruptly slowed down and then came to a halting stop, as far as laying physical fibre goes. Best i can grab is 20+mbit for $45. But its reliable, and not much fuss for use of, which is the way it should be, and will be i feel in the future as per the HD marching wayward.

good deal on the box of cats you got there also
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2009   #15
FreakyFerret

 
 

It's Lafayette, LA. The program actually started 10 years ago. Then the competitors started sueing the city to make them stop, so it was held up in court for a few years. They actually ran the backbone on my street already. Just need the splicers to make the connections that will run to my house.

They're offering a VIP package for $200 a month. Full digital cable, all premium movie channels, 50 Mb connection, premium phone with unlimited long distance, HD digital receiver included, and DVR (I think). The channel line up includes a few hundred channels.

You can read more about it at their website: LUS Fiber. And you can see a PDF of the channel line-up. You should note there are some people already receiving the service as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2009   #16
johngalt

 

Didn't know you were from Lafayette - a good friend of mine was from Metarie, and then she went to Oregon, then Texas, and finally came back to NO - I think she is living in yet another suburb of NO, though, but I cannot remember which ATM....

Anyhoo, enjoy the Fiber to the friggin' doorstep initiative - Go Jindal!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 May 2009   #17
Digger

XP/win7 x86 build 7127
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by FreakyFerret View Post
It's Lafayette, LA. The program actually started 10 years ago. Then the competitors started sueing the city to make them stop, so it was held up in court for a few years. They actually ran the backbone on my street already. Just need the splicers to make the connections that will run to my house.

They're offering a VIP package for $200 a month. Full digital cable, all premium movie channels, 50 Mb connection, premium phone with unlimited long distance, HD digital receiver included, and DVR (I think). The channel line up includes a few hundred channels.

You can read more about it at their website: LUS Fiber. And you can see a PDF of the channel line-up. You should note there are some people already receiving the service as well.
yea, i might be interested in that... just as long as they wouldnt tag me with the $5-15/month for the HD reciever itself... i'll pay $5/month for use of a dvr on it. No real competitors here, cable wise anyways, to compete with this one here, shame. I know how the wars of cable are down south, all hail clearchannel, comcast... unless you are lucky like yourself and find yourself in another town not dominated by a giant. Atleast here they only dominate, and becoming a giant, but thank god they dont have a hitler mentality.... yet.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 LAN speed query




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Query re mobo SATA speed
I have a 4 year old Toshiba L550 that is running fine but after a lot of Googles I cannot find at what SATA speed the SSD is being driven at. From my pic I am guessing it is only 3GBs??
Hardware & Devices
Speed test gives vey good speed but down speed is just 2-3 kb
guys please help me , it happens when ever i want. i speed test from speedtest.net and i get speed 0.89 mbps ( which is good for me) but if i download something , down speed is 2 kb. if i play a video it buffes so slowly that it takes ahour. 1 thing more, this happened few days ago on my...
Network & Sharing
CPU Speed Query
Ok, first of all it's on XP Pro x86 (i know this is a win 7 forum, sorry) I've just upgraded my mums PC with a AMDAthlon II X2 250 (3GHz) & 4GB of ram etc.... but just as i was leaving, i noticed the CPU speed as 1.8GHz http://i46.tinypic.com/juff2v.jpg is this right and is it to do...
Hardware & Devices
Computer Bottleneck- HDD - SSD. giving data speed to proccessing speed
Through the windows experience im at 7.8's / 7.4's... with my hdd at 5.9. looking at getting a ssd to level everything up.... but what i dont know is... how does the read/write speeds translate into processing. what read speed is equal to the rest of my rig? I just dont know how it translates...
Hardware & Devices
Query speed of IE9
My IE9 both 32bit and 64bit has started to run at a snails pace. Even on my new Sandy Bridge build with a ton of RAM (12GB) on board. Anyone else having this problem as it is so annoying as it was running at close to the speed of light before! Absolutely nothing wrong with the machine...
Browsers & Mail
Query fan speed
Just fitted an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler, but the fan doesn't seem to run very fast. Its running at about 750 but the CPU is running at 46c/114.5c, M/board at 21c/69.5 c To me its too hot.
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App