How to detect Download Speed in Windows 7


  1. Posts : 4
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
       #1

    How to detect Download Speed in Windows 7


    Hi, just upgraded from XP to Windows 7 today and would really like to know what download speed my dial up is running at?? Previously in XP you only had to move the cursor over the little "monitor" thingy in the right hand corner of the taskbar which also "lit up" whilst you were actively surfing websites. Not so in Windows 7 which is a disappointment. Any clues would be appreciated good folk.
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 18,415
    windows 7 home 64bit
       #2

    Hi there .. Welcome to Seven Forums .. Go to the Task Manager and Network Dont you just hate Dialup
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 338
    win7 home premium-64bit-SP1-IE10
       #3

    Welcome Joblo
    When you press the Start button then choose All Programs you see Desktop Gadget Gallery. Go there and download "Network Meter".
    In the options of the program choose "" wired Network " . That's all.
    Good luck
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 4
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #4

    Thanks folks, yep not rapt with dial up but where we live in the sticks it's still the only option.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 18,415
    windows 7 home 64bit
       #5

    I know what you mean its better than nothing :)
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 4,287
    W10 Pro desktop, W11 laptop, W11 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
       #6

    What you saw in XP when you hovered over the "monitor thing" was the connection speed between the router and the computer, not the download speed.

    If you really want to know the download speed of your connection, go to speedtest.net and run a test.

    Unfortunately, with dialup the only thing you'll find from doing a speed test is that your connection is slow.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 4
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Further question on dial up in W7, seem to be having "drop outs" regularly which was not the case with XP, are there any program conflicts etc in W7 that could be causing this?? W7 was installed by my tech guy and it's the same Agere modem which worked just fine in XP. Any clues as to what could be causing the disconnects would be appreciated.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 4,287
    W10 Pro desktop, W11 laptop, W11 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
       #8

    What model Agere modem? Maybe there's a newer driver available for it.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 4
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #9

    Thanks for that, checked the driver, Windows ascertained it's the best driver currently. Australia is currently rolling out the National Broadband nationwide, originally to be fibre to the home [93% of homes] but with our change of Government it now appears it will fibre to the node only, alas I'm in the other 7% where we will have either Wireless or Satellite coverage only [Government guarantee] so as not to place those of us that live off the beaten track with "comparable" internet access to city dwellers but that is up to 2 years away.
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 4,287
    W10 Pro desktop, W11 laptop, W11 Pro tablet (all 64-bit)
       #10

    I know what you're dealing with. We live in a rural area where there is no cable or DSL or anything like that available. We've used dialup, ISDN, satellite, and now, wireless. The wireless works pretty well but it's expensive. For several years we had a 1.5M connection that cost $167/month. About a year ago, our ISP lowered that to $91/month. Recently, I was able to upgrade to a 4M connection for $138/month. I couldn't justify paying these prices but I work from home so my employer covers it.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:48.
Find Us