DXtreme set top box on network can't open shared folders on pc


  1. Posts : 7
    windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
       #1

    DXtreme set top box on network can't open shared folders on pc


    I have a 'Home' network with two pcs running win7 home premium 64 bit and a DXtreme set top box connected by cat5 cables. The two pcs can share and open folders and can ping each other and the set top box ok. The set top box can log on to the network and access the shared folders on each computer but can't open them without network username and password.I am using Homegroup on the network. The set top box does not show up on the network map or 'other devices'.I am running the main computer as administrator. The set top box can access the internet ok, I want to use it to play stored videos on the computers thru the tv.One solution I found advised using secpol.msc to disable username requirements but it isn't available on this version of win 7. Any advice would be much appreciated

    Thanks Bill Hanley
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #2

    billhanley said:
    I have a 'Home' network with two pcs running win7 home premium 64 bit and a DXtreme set top box connected by cat5 cables. The two pcs can share and open folders and can ping each other and the set top box ok. The set top box can log on to the network and access the shared folders on each computer but can't open them without network username and password.I am using Homegroup on the network. The set top box does not show up on the network map or 'other devices'.I am running the main computer as administrator. The set top box can access the internet ok, I want to use it to play stored videos on the computers thru the tv.One solution I found advised using secpol.msc to disable username requirements but it isn't available on this version of win 7. Any advice would be much appreciated

    Thanks Bill Hanley
    So you require access to folders on the Homegroup machines from the DXtreme so you can play the video's etc. And you can't access the Homegroup shares from the DX without typing in a User name and password from one of the machines.

    Have you tried turning off password protected sharing in the Advanced Sharing Settings at the Network and Sharing Center?

    This might work better if you add the Everyone share + read/write to the Library you need to access.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DXtreme set top box on network can't open shared folders on pc-share-everyone.png  
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 7
    windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #3

    DXtreme set top box can't open shared folders on pc


    Hi Chev65
    Thanks for the reply. Yes password protected sharing is turned off and all the folder permissions are set to 'everyone'. It must be a setting on the pcs because the set top box logs on to the pcs and shows all the shared folders but when I try to open a folder I get the username request. The pcs can interact ok so the pcs aren't seeing the set top box as a device which they can talk to.Anyway as everything else works ok this seems to be the thing to concentrate on.

    Thanks for trying Bill Hanley
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 25,847
    Windows 10 Pro. 64/ version 1709 Windows 7 Pro/64
       #4

    Okay I'm a dummy. What is a (top box)?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #5

    billhanley said:
    Hi Chev65
    Thanks for the reply. Yes password protected sharing is turned off and all the folder permissions are set to 'everyone'. It must be a setting on the pcs because the set top box logs on to the pcs and shows all the shared folders but when I try to open a folder I get the username request. The pcs can interact ok so the pcs aren't seeing the set top box as a device which they can talk to.Anyway as everything else works ok this seems to be the thing to concentrate on.

    Thanks for trying Bill Hanley
    If you require unimpeded access to those drives from the set top box then follow the directions in the link which shows permissions adjustments on the Security tab of the Users folder. :)

    HDD sharing
    Last edited by chev65; 30 Sep 2013 at 23:29.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 7
    windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
    Thread Starter
       #6

    Set top box problem


    Hi Chev 65 I pressed the problem solved button before I posted My reply to your last suggestion. Using the Users folder instead of the C drive solved the problem for me and I can now open files from the set top box. Many thanks for your help

    Bill Hanley
    Last edited by Brink; 01 Oct 2013 at 22:15. Reason: Moved to original thread
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #7

    billhanley said:
    Hi Chev 65 I pressed the problem solved button before I posted My reply to your last suggestion. Using the Users folder instead of the C drive solved the problem for me and I can now open files from the set top box. Many thanks for your help

    Bill Hanley
    Figured that would do it.

    In Windows, the default permissions are set up through the Users folder rather than the C: drive.

    Much safer to share this way.
      My Computer


 

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:14.
Find Us