Can't load HTTPS websites

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 28
    Win7 Pro SP1
       #1

    Can't load HTTPS websites


    I'm unable to open any HTTPS website. This morning my router died and I replaced it with a new one. I called my ISP to verify I have correct DNS servers. I can't think of anything that would restrict https in the router..

    When I try to load https I get a connection timed out, as if the server isnt there. For example I can load amazon.com, but when I click on my account it times out.

    Any suggestions? I realize this might not be Win7 specific..
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 10,796
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
       #2

    Do you have other pc overthere connected to same router? Does it have the same problem?
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 28
    Win7 Pro SP1
    Thread Starter
       #3

    All devices can't access https so gotta be the new router. iphone, ipad, kindle, laptop, etc. DIR-655 router
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 10,796
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
       #4

    gifpaste said:
    I'm unable to open any HTTPS website. This morning my router died and I replaced it with a new one. I called my ISP to verify I have correct DNS servers. I can't think of anything that would restrict https in the router..

    When I try to load https I get a connection timed out, as if the server isnt there. For example I can load amazon.com, but when I click on my account it times out.

    Any suggestions? I realize this might not be Win7 specific..
    Did you change any settings in the router? Is it a new bought router?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 10,796
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
       #5

    Look in the router config. Is port 443 blocked?
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 10,796
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
       #6

    gifpaste said:
    All devices can't access https so gotta be the new router. iphone, ipad, kindle, laptop, etc. DIR-655 router
    Did you change any settings after buying it? See http://www.dlink.com/-/media/Consume...0312v23pdf.pdf page 5. There is the reset button
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #7

    gifpaste said:
    I'm unable to open any HTTPS website. This morning my router died and I replaced it with a new one. I called my ISP to verify I have correct DNS servers. I can't think of anything that would restrict https in the router..

    When I try to load https I get a connection timed out, as if the server isnt there. For example I can load amazon.com, but when I click on my account it times out.

    Any suggestions? I realize this might not be Win7 specific..
    It sounds like the modem requires a reset in order to pick up the new router.

    Usually just unplugging the modem from the wall for a few minutes and unplugging the modem from the router will do the trick.

    Plug the modem back in to power then wait for the lights to finish blinking then plug the modems WAN or internet port into the DIR-655's Internet port.

    I'm running the same router as my gateway, good router.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 28
    Win7 Pro SP1
    Thread Starter
       #8

    Performed many factory resets, also unplugged cable modem + router, then powered on CM waited for ready, then powered on router.

    I see no where in router where I can disable 443/ssl/https kind of option, fresh factory reset (abouth the 5th tonight)

    I've narrowed it down to when I enter my network information, https goes away. I have a static isp from my ISP

    From a fresh factory reset it defaults to DHCP for wan, it correctly gets my static IP and gateway provided by ISP
    The router also has 'Enable Advanced DNS Service' checked which "Advanced DNS is a free security option that provides Anti-Phishing to protect your Internet connection from fraud and navigation improvements such as auto-correction of common URL typos." This greys out the DNS addresses and uses D-Links: 204.194.232.200 + 204.194.234.200

    At this point I can load gmail on all devices, but a few minutes later I'm again no longer able to connect over https on any device
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 10,796
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
       #9

    gifpaste said:
    Performed many factory resets, also unplugged cable modem + router, then powered on CM waited for ready, then powered on router.

    I see no where in router where I can disable 443/ssl/https kind of option, fresh factory reset (abouth the 5th tonight)

    I've narrowed it down to when I enter my network information, https goes away. I have a static isp from my ISP

    From a fresh factory reset it defaults to DHCP for wan, it correctly gets my static IP and gateway provided by ISP
    The router also has 'Enable Advanced DNS Service' checked which "Advanced DNS is a free security option that provides Anti-Phishing to protect your Internet connection from fraud and navigation improvements such as auto-correction of common URL typos." This greys out the DNS addresses and uses D-Links: 204.194.232.200 + 204.194.234.200

    At this point I can load gmail on all devices, but a few minutes later I'm again no longer able to connect over https on any device
    So http and https DO work for a few minutes(?) After that https doesn't work anymore. Really no problem with http whatsover?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #10

    gifpaste said:
    Performed many factory resets, also unplugged cable modem + router, then powered on CM waited for ready, then powered on router.

    I see no where in router where I can disable 443/ssl/https kind of option, fresh factory reset (abouth the 5th tonight)

    I've narrowed it down to when I enter my network information, https goes away. I have a static isp from my ISP

    From a fresh factory reset it defaults to DHCP for wan, it correctly gets my static IP and gateway provided by ISP
    The router also has 'Enable Advanced DNS Service' checked which "Advanced DNS is a free security option that provides Anti-Phishing to protect your Internet connection from fraud and navigation improvements such as auto-correction of common URL typos." This greys out the DNS addresses and uses D-Links: 204.194.232.200 + 204.194.234.200

    At this point I can load gmail on all devices, but a few minutes later I'm again no longer able to connect over https on any device
    Yep and now it's mysteriously marked as solved. Pretty sure it was the modem like I mentioned earlier.

    Thanks for the rep gifpaste.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:40.
Find Us