Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Wireless Issue

23 Oct 2009   #11
TheAzzalleLion

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Where would I find the "security key"

With Vista the password we entered was our last name and then the year our parents got married.

I tried that and it didn't work.

I've tried like a total of 40 times and it will not work.

I once tried "admin" since that's what we use for logging into the routers webpage. That resulted in "limited connectivity"

Not srue where to find this security key and why the hell MS is asking for it all of sudden...Is there a way to change it back to the old system?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Oct 2009   #12
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Can you tell me the brand and model of the router?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #13
TheAzzalleLion

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
Can you tell me the brand and model of the router?
Linksys WRT610N

Some other guy at another forum is telling me to reset which I really do not want to deal with. I mean I shouldn't have to reset it. It's working fine with the 2 other computers in the house!

And oh in regards to drivers I've tried downloading and installing every single driver off of HPs website for my computer and I get an error message saying that I do not have the software/hardware to install it.

Error Code 9998. I don't know if this is in retailation for doing a clean install (i formatted the c drive before I installed Win 7....) starting to regret that now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Oct 2009   #14
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Try inputting your network name (SSID) and passphrase into this website. Make sure you note that the calculation can take as much as 20 seconds, so be patient. It should be able to return the 64-character security key; try then inputting this key into Windows 7.

BTW, this website does not actually send your information to the server, the calculation is done using JavaScript on your own computer, so no security/privacy issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #15
TheAzzalleLion

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
Try inputting your network name (SSID) and passphrase into this website. Make sure you note that the calculation can take as much as 20 seconds, so be patient. It should be able to return the 64-character security key; try then inputting this key into Windows 7.

BTW, this website does not actually send your information to the server, the calculation is done using JavaScript on your own computer, so no security/privacy issues.
Well I Just tried it (i'm typing from a parent's laptop).

Still didn't work....At this point I give up. I've got so much work to do today. Hopefully they'll be some kinda fix by tonight...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #16
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheAzzalleLion View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
Try inputting your network name (SSID) and passphrase into this website. Make sure you note that the calculation can take as much as 20 seconds, so be patient. It should be able to return the 64-character security key; try then inputting this key into Windows 7.

BTW, this website does not actually send your information to the server, the calculation is done using JavaScript on your own computer, so no security/privacy issues.
Well I Just tried it (i'm typing from a parent's laptop).

Still didn't work....At this point I give up. I've got so much work to do today. Hopefully they'll be some kinda fix by tonight...
I would recommend that at some point you try rebooting the router. Don't reset it if you can help it ... just unplug it for like a second or two and plug it right back in. It should save your settings if you do this, I know my Linksys router does. I have fixed many of my own connection issues this way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #17
TheAzzalleLion

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

If reseting it didn't work why would rebooting do anything?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #18
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheAzzalleLion View Post
If reseting it didn't work why would rebooting do anything?
I thought you said you hadn't reset it because you didn't want to deal with that?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #19
TheAzzalleLion

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BCXtreme View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheAzzalleLion View Post
If reseting it didn't work why would rebooting do anything?
I thought you said you hadn't reset it because you didn't want to deal with that?
I went ahead and reset it. I changed the passphrase.

I saved everything. Went to my mom's laptop. The wireless connection was dead since I changed the password/passphrase.

I disconnected. Had the laptop completely forget the network. Then I RESTARTED my mom's laptop. I looked for the wireless network (which I also gave a new SSID) and entered in the new passphrase. It took a few seconds and it connected. New passphrase worked perfectly on my mom's laptop.

I did the same thing with my laptop. Worked fine.

However I turned off the main desktop computer. Waited a few minutes and prayed about it. Turned it on and looked for the wireless network. Tried connecting, it asked for "network security key" which I'm assuming is the new passphrase for the router and I put that in.

It didn't work. I tried it 4 more times and gave up.

Ethernet works fine but the wireless for some reason is just not working. Next step is to call Microsoft unless someone on here knows of a fix. I will try reinstalling from the iso though before I do that.


Is it possible that the iso is corrupted somehow?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #20
BCXtreme

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TheAzzalleLion View Post

I went ahead and reset it. I changed the passphrase.

I saved everything. Went to my mom's laptop. The wireless connection was dead since I changed the password/passphrase.

I disconnected. Had the laptop completely forget the network. Then I RESTARTED my mom's laptop. I looked for the wireless network (which I also gave a new SSID) and entered in the new passphrase. It took a few seconds and it connected. New passphrase worked perfectly on my mom's laptop.

I did the same thing with my laptop. Worked fine.

However I turned off the main desktop computer. Waited a few minutes and prayed about it. Turned it on and looked for the wireless network. Tried connecting, it asked for "network security key" which I'm assuming is the new passphrase for the router and I put that in.

It didn't work. I tried it 4 more times and gave up.

Ethernet works fine but the wireless for some reason is just not working. Next step is to call Microsoft unless someone on here knows of a fix. I will try reinstalling from the iso though before I do that.


Is it possible that the iso is corrupted somehow?
It's possible ... every once in a while, Windows installations just don't behave. Are you having any other problems with this installation at all?

Also, does the manufacturer of the computer have a Windows 7 driver available for you to download, or are you just relying on whatever driver Windows installed automatically?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Wireless Issue




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Wireless Issue: Unidentified Network (Windows 7)
Hello everyone, This is my first post, so I hope I'm doing this correctly. A few months ago, we upgraded our modem/router and got the Cisco DPC 3825. Our internet provider is Cox Communications. We have several laptops in our home and connect to our WiFi with our smartphones fine. However, my...
Network & Sharing
Windows Wireless LAN Driver Installing Issue
I apologize in advance if a thread related to this has already happened. Judging from my join date, I'm obviously new to these forums, a friend of mine recommended this to me, so I'm hoping someone here can help me figure out this problem. That problem being, I recently just wiped out my Windows...
Drivers
Windows 7 Wireless Internet Connection Issue
I have just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my PC, but I cannot connect to the Internet even though I've tried almost everything. My connection is there but i can't press the connect button and it's very frustrating. I am very new. Can someone help please? ...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Wireless Connectivity Issue
I have several computers on my home network, all of which can connect to the internet just fine. After upgrading one of them to Windows 7 I get either a very SLOW internet connection or none at all. This computer connected just fine as a Vista machine. Only after upgrading to Windows 7 did the...
Network & Sharing
Belkin F5D8053N Wireless Adaptor Windows 7 64 bit Issue
I am really confused ... basically I was using vista home premium 64bit, I bought the windows 7 home premium upgrade and installed it as an upgrade over Vista. Everything worked fine but my system seemed slow, I thought this may be down to lots of old unused Vista files clogging up my pc as i don't...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Internet Issue (Wireless)
Now if I wired my laptop to my modem then I would not have a problem with my internet connection. But since the modem is like 30 feet away, I tend to just go wireless. Now I used to have Windows Vista Home Premium before I installed Windows 7 RC 7100 and my wireless connection was perfect. But...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App