Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can't add folder on network share to library

29 Apr 2009   #21
jimbo45

Linux CENTOS 7 / various Windows OS'es and servers
 
 

I think there have been several different threads on this.

The whole idea of Libraries is great but why oh why does Microsoft fall into these traps every time -- come up with a great idea then leave out some basic USEFUL features.

Sharing libraries across networks SHOULD BE 100% seamless. However indexing on Windows is a bit of a half baked solution for MIXED MACHINE networks.

Windows computers on the network could update via however windows indexing works - either by running some command on the local or remote machine -- I'm not a tech windows internals so I don't know the exact mechanism but something would need to trigger an update to keep the "Library folders" in sync.

Now on Samba what would you need to execute to update the library directories that would be created on the windows machines. The task would have to be started FROM THE WINDOWS server.

The "bog standard" NFS system managed all this in the "classical way" -- if you added a SAMBA share then it was immedaitely available to ALL the machines in the network.

However a new Windows share would have to be added manually to your SAMBA config and the SAMBA system re-started if you needed to acess the new Windows share on a 'NIX machine.

So although I think MS should have implemented this differently it's not actually too different to what happens now with "Classical Shares".

Cheers
jimbo


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Apr 2009   #22
LePoilu

Vista H.P. SP1 x32 Seven RC x64
 
 

Libraries are based on virtual folder technology which need indexing for working. It's not a basic link as the favorites pan in the explorer
It's easy to docs yourself on the "how it work" you can find many article explaining the libraries feature.
I.e:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/developers/default.aspx

By the way, without indexing ability (server side via WDS4.0 or local side) files cannot be added to the libraries.

But if you are 32bit user you can use the UNCFAT patch for WDS, which allow to index Network or FAT drive. I tried it on Vista 32bit, it works well but it's really not seamless than indexing native NTFS files. Perfs are reduced, new files and modified files are not indexed as quick as the "native mode", etc

Myself I have a Samba file and I cannot add network share on libraries (UNCFAT is only 32bit, and i use 64bit). But I tried to install Windows Home Server on a virtual Machine on my Debian Server… and guess what! Tadaaaa all work really fine.
You can have WHS in trial version (30 day via home server website, 120day via connect), that's what I've done

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kappen View Post
And when the server disappears, the data is simply not available or even better not visible?!
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kappen View Post


I can answer: If the server is not available, or the client not connected on the server, the data you put on the libraries are just not visible. At the time the connexion with the server is ON, you'll see immediately the data back.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2009   #23
Sempie

Build 7229
 
 

I have also this type of problem, I get an error when I want to open my nas
is there a solution for this problem


Attached Images
Can't add folder on network share to library-error.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Apr 2009   #24
kappen

Windows 7 RC 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LePoilu View Post
Libraries are based on virtual folder technology which need indexing for working. It's not a basic link as the favorites pan in the explorer
It's easy to docs yourself on the "how it work" you can find many article explaining the libraries feature.
I.e:
http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/developers/default.aspx

By the way, without indexing ability (server side via WDS4.0 or local side) files cannot be added to the libraries.
Thank you for that, i think we already have noticed it

Quote:
But if you are 32bit user you can use the UNCFAT patch for WDS, which allow to index Network or FAT drive. I tried it on Vista 32bit, it works well but it's really not seamless than indexing native NTFS files. Perfs are reduced, new files and modified files are not indexed as quick as the "native mode", etc
Ui thanks for the info, unfortunately i am using samba @ 64bit linux aswell.

Quote:
Myself I have a Samba file and I cannot add network share on libraries (UNCFAT is only 32bit, and i use 64bit). But I tried to install Windows Home Server on a virtual Machine on my Debian Server… and guess what! Tadaaaa all work really fine.
You can have WHS in trial version (30 day via home server website, 120day via connect), that's what I've done
Fine. But i installed Debian, not Windows and i had my reasons for that..

Quote:
I can answer: If the server is not available, or the client not connected on the server, the data you put on the libraries are just not visible. At the time the connexion with the server is ON, you'll see immediately the data back.
Thanks. This is exactly what i need, if the library would work -.-

Can't understand it really; why it's so hard to implement a library for "usual" *nix shares? I mean, foobar2k, vlc, even mediaplayer, acdsee and so on can scan my shares without any problems..

btw, when i move my documents, the folder icon is gone. I know it's set in the ini, but the path is pointet at %systemdrive%->system32 and so on; Can i use custom (or better the 'right' windows-) icons?

This all isn't as easy as i thought

@Sempie
This is a rights problem, can you add your username in the web interface of the nas?

Best regards
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2009   #25
LePoilu

Vista H.P. SP1 x32 Seven RC x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kappen View Post
Ui thanks for the info, unfortunately i am using samba @ 64bit linux aswell.

Fine. But i installed Debian, not Windows and i had my reasons for that..

I think you did not understand what I mean.

The UNCFAT patch is for Windows Desktop search under the windows client. It has nothing to do with the linux server, it's a client side plugin

So if you are not using Seven 64bit you can install the Patch on it and then add and network drive to the index.

As you I have a linux file server with Debian, under Vista 32bit I have the plugin installed which allow me to index the files shared by the server.

See there:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918996/en-us
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2009   #26
kappen

Windows 7 RC 1
 
 

*tilt*

yep. misunderstood you; thought i'd be a plugin for the WHS server in the virtual machine.

But im using Seven 64bit so no chance so far : /


Does anybody know whats with my icons?

Thank you
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2009   #27
tranceloveaffair

Win 7
 
 

Guys, I've noticed that if you go into <rootdrive>:\Users\<username> and then go into the properties of the appropriate folder you wish to add libraries to, you can change the location of these folders to a non-indexed network share
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jun 2009   #28
LePoilu

Vista H.P. SP1 x32 Seven RC x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tranceloveaffair View Post
Guys, I've noticed that if you go into <rootdrive>:\Users\<username> and then go into the properties of the appropriate folder you wish to add libraries to, you can change the location of these folders to a non-indexed network share

This folders (Users specific folders) are not libraries folders.
This are the same folder than under XP or Vista ("My Docs," My pictures", etc)
Indeed, you can move them where you want... But if you move them on an "non-indexed" location they will not be able to be put on a librarie.

BTW, putting user specific folders on an network share is not a really good idea. If the network share is down, Windows will not like it, and you will not be able to boot the system until the network link is UP
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jun 2009   #29
tranceloveaffair

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LePoilu View Post
This folders (Users specific folders) are not libraries folders.
This are the same folder than under XP or Vista ("My Docs," My pictures", etc)
Indeed, you can move them where you want... But if you move them on an "non-indexed" location they will not be able to be put on a librarie.

BTW, putting user specific folders on an network share is not a really good idea. If the network share is down, Windows will not like it, and you will not be able to boot the system until the network link is UP
They DO seem to appear in the 'Library' sections within Win7 though :S

Later versions of Windows (Vista and 7) seem to boot fine if these shares are not available on the server, they just display an empty folder as a result. I've only placed these folders on a home network so users can access their docs throughout the house without using a domain
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Jun 2009   #30
kmyhre

Windows7
 
 
Work-around

There is a way to add a network share to a library. However, it will not be indexed.

Basically, you create a local directory, then add it to your library, then deleted the directory and create a symlink in it's place.

It is described in Method 2 in this tutorial, and it worked great for me.

Hope this helps,
kmyhre
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can't add folder on network share to library




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Sync Folder with a network share
Hey people. Im after trying to sync a folder from my laptop to a network share on a windows 2003 file server. Not exactly sure how to go about doing it. I would like files to sync both ways so any changes i make to the folder on my laptop get applied to the share on my file server and any...
Network & Sharing
How do I remove a share folder from a network
Hi All, Can anyone tell me the process for removing the folder highlighted in the screenshot? It has been mapped and since renamed h-drive
Network & Sharing
windows 7 library policies? (don't create network share)
Hi, if you include a folder location in a library, a net share is created (full, everyone). Can this "feature" be turned off? Or should I just can the libraries?! Thanks
Network & Sharing
How do you share a folder anyone on the network
This doesn't work: Advanced Sharing Share Permissions: Everyone (Full Control, Change, Read) I can see the Share Name folder in the "Network" via Windows Explorere, but it gives an Access Denied.
Network & Sharing
Add network folder to Library?
Hi, I suspect I already know the answer to this, but its worth a shot.... I'm trying to add a network folder to my Music Library. Windows won't allow that since it sees the network folder as non-indexed. I can index this folder by making it available off-line, but that means storing a copy...
General Discussion
Password protect network share folder?
I can't seem to find a sleek easy way of doing this that works with windows 7. I haven't been successful with finding anything that pertains to windows 7 since most guides online are outdated. I just want to have a folder shared on my main desktop "DAN-PC" let's just give it the name...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App