Have correct IP config but unable to access router/modem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  1. Posts : 23
    Windows 7 Professional x64
       #1

    Have correct IP config but unable to access router/modem.


    Hi Guys,

    I have been racking my brain with this issue for about 5 Hours now and am no further forward.

    First my network Setup:

    Sky Broadband UK 14.5Mb (ADSL2, not fibre)
    Sky Hub SR102 with Wifi turned OFF
    D-Link DIR655 A5

    So the issue is:

    When I connect to my wifi a few times per day I get the message on Windows 7 saying No Internet Access with the exclamation mark.

    I have done ipconfig /all and the connection looks fine from there. I have tried nslookup during try this period and it does not resolve. Both on Google DNS and Sky's DNS.

    Also if I try to connect to the router (192.168.1.1) or the Hub (192.168.0.1) niether appears to respond which to me indicates a loss of signal but surely in that case I should be recieving the message with the astericks on my wifi instead?

    Please help, I'm at the end of my tether with this one?

    Many Thanks,

    Will
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #2

    Will01 said:
    Hi Guys,

    I have been racking my brain with this issue for about 5 Hours now and am no further forward.

    First my network Setup:

    Sky Broadband UK 14.5Mb (ADSL2, not fibre)
    Sky Hub SR102 with Wifi turned OFF
    D-Link DIR655 A5

    So the issue is:

    When I connect to my wifi a few times per day I get the message on Windows 7 saying No Internet Access with the exclamation mark.

    I have done ipconfig /all and the connection looks fine from there. I have tried nslookup during try this period and it does not resolve. Both on Google DNS and Sky's DNS.

    Also if I try to connect to the router (192.168.1.1) or the Hub (192.168.0.1) niether appears to respond which to me indicates a loss of signal but surely in that case I should be recieving the message with the astericks on my wifi instead?

    Please help, I'm at the end of my tether with this one?

    Many Thanks,

    Will
    http://192.168.1.1 usually works better with the http part. Although I have the DIR-655 and it's gateway IP is http://192.168.0.1

    Perhaps if you can explain which one you were using for the gateway.

    The IP will change when you set only one to be the gateway with DHCP being turned off for the other devices.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 23
    Windows 7 Professional x64
    Thread Starter
       #3

    I use the DIR as a router and the Sky Hub purely as a modem.

    Sorry I should have explained that on my previous post.
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #4

    Will01 said:
    I use the DIR as a router and the Sky Hub purely as a modem.

    Sorry I should have explained that on my previous post.

    Well the gateway IP for the 655 is different than the one you were trying to use as I mentioned earlier.

    It's still http://192.168.0.1 so it's no wonder it wasn't working.

    I'm not sure what the Sky hub is but when they have a gateway IP that usually means it's a router or modem/router combo unit. So you would want to disable any type of DHCP capability on the Sky device.
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 23
    Windows 7 Professional x64
    Thread Starter
       #5

    I manually changed the IP of the D Link to the one mentioned above, the IP of the sky modem is 192.168.0.1 so obviously they cannot share IP 's.
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #6

    Will01 said:
    I manually changed the IP of the D Link to the one mentioned above, the IP of the sky modem is 192.168.0.1 so obviously they cannot share IP 's.
    You only want one of those devices handing out IP's, so you will need to disable DHCP on one of them and plug them in LAN port to LAN port.

    This will allow the secondary device to obtain it's IP in the correct subnet from the gateway device.

    Ideally you would ditch the modem/router combo and go with a stand alone modem to simplify things.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 23
    Windows 7 Professional x64
    Thread Starter
       #7

    Only one device is handing out IP's, the DLink, the Sky Hub is in modem only mode and wired to the DLink, so DHCP is not even used on it.
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #8

    Will01 said:
    Only one device is handing out IP's, the DLink, the Sky Hub is in modem only mode and wired to the DLink, so DHCP is not even used on it.
    In that case there is no reason to change the gateway IP on the Dlink router. You can reset the router or change the IP back to default.

    The Sky device will eventually pick up an IP in the correct subnet from the Dlink and they need to be plugged into each other LAN port to LAN port, don't use the WAN or Internet port on the Sky device.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 23
    Windows 7 Professional x64
    Thread Starter
       #9

    That still does not solve my problem unfortunately. This setup worked perfectly until recently when this started happening. I have had this exact same setup for about 3 years now with no issues. So why now?
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 8,870
    Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
       #10

    Will01 said:
    That still does not solve my problem unfortunately. This setup worked perfectly until recently when this started happening. I have had this exact same setup for about 3 years now with no issues. So why now?
    Resetting the 655 doesn't get you into it's firmware via the default gateway IP....pretty much impossible unless the router is toast.

    Suggest a hard reset or 30-30-30 reset.

    The 30-30-30 Hard Reset Rule for Routers
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03.
Find Us