Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Homegroup aaarrghh!!

26 Dec 2009   #41
recentrisk

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Are you attempting to connect via wifi? If so, try connecting both computers to the router with an ethernet cable to see if the problem goes away. You may need to update your wifi drivers on either the desktop or the netbook, depending on which one has the wifi connection.

Something else I just thought about - do both computers have the same name, ie: kegobeer_pc?
I finally got to test this out... if i directly connect the laptop to the router via cable i CAN join the homegroup no problem. Finally we are getting somewhere. Given that, what can i do to fix? I need to update my wifi drivers on my laptop?...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Dec 2009   #42
2pods

Windows 7 64 Home Premium
 
 

It (my problem anyway) is that Windows 7 sometimes sees one type of network adaptor, mistakes it for another (re-triggering an authorisation challange with Superior Drums 2.2, which is how I know it has changed the hardware list), or sometimes not seeing an adaptor at all, giving me the "A network cable is unplugged" message.

Both adaptor and cable check out fine with Vista SP2 and XP SP3
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Dec 2009   #43
recentrisk

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by recentrisk View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by kegobeer View Post
Are you attempting to connect via wifi? If so, try connecting both computers to the router with an ethernet cable to see if the problem goes away. You may need to update your wifi drivers on either the desktop or the netbook, depending on which one has the wifi connection.

Something else I just thought about - do both computers have the same name, ie: kegobeer_pc?
I finally got to test this out... if i directly connect the laptop to the router via cable i CAN join the homegroup no problem. Finally we are getting somewhere. Given that, what can i do to fix? I need to update my wifi drivers on my laptop?...
So if i need to update my wifi drivers on my laptop, wouldn't that happen with windows update?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Dec 2009   #44
PeaB4YouGo

Microsoft Windows 10 Home Build 15036
 
 

I used "winipcfg" to find my IP6v config

UPDATE: sorry, it was "ipconfig". (Any guesses where I got winipcfg?)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2010   #45
recentrisk

Win 7
 
 

Does anyone know how I can proceed with troubleshooting?...

From prior posts:
"if i directly connect the laptop to the router via cable i CAN join the homegroup no problem." Someone mentioned to update wifi drivers on my laptop. Is that not covered in windows update?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2010   #46
recentrisk

Win 7
 
 

Does anyone know how I can proceed with troubleshooting?...

From prior posts:
"if i directly connect the laptop to the router via cable i CAN join the homegroup no problem." Someone mentioned to update wifi drivers on my laptop. Is that not covered in windows update?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jan 2010   #47
acurasd

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by recentrisk View Post
Does anyone know how I can proceed with troubleshooting?...

From prior posts:
"if i directly connect the laptop to the router via cable i CAN join the homegroup no problem." Someone mentioned to update wifi drivers on my laptop. Is that not covered in windows update?

Not necessary... really depends on the wifi and if they are registered with windows update. i woudl definitly go to the drivers manufacture's website and download them directly from there
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2010   #48
2pods

Windows 7 64 Home Premium
 
 

This fixed mine
Found here:
http://www.fixya.com/support/t779082-intel_82562v_2_10_100_ethernet_adapter
The problem is due to the network card not switching on at startup. The solution is to go into the BIOS (press F2 on startup) and visit the Power Management area and change the wake up policy from S3 to S1.

Worth a try ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Feb 2010   #49
recentrisk

Win 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by acurasd View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by recentrisk View Post
Does anyone know how I can proceed with troubleshooting?...

From prior posts:
"if i directly connect the laptop to the router via cable i CAN join the homegroup no problem." Someone mentioned to update wifi drivers on my laptop. Is that not covered in windows update?

Not necessary... really depends on the wifi and if they are registered with windows update. i woudl definitly go to the drivers manufacture's website and download them directly from there
Ok so i checked my wifi adapter Intel WiFi Link 5100 AGN and the drivers are up to date. Given that this only happens when i try to join the homegroup wirelessly(it works fine if i connect it directly) what else could it be?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Feb 2010   #50
WindowsStar

Windows 7 Enterprise (x64); Windows Server 2008 R2 (x64)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by PeaB4YouGo View Post
I used "winipcfg" to find my IP6v config

UPDATE: sorry, it was "ipconfig". (Any guesses where I got winipcfg?)
winipcfg is from the Windows 98 days.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Homegroup aaarrghh!!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Unable to join homegroup, homegroup creating computer is no more
The computer that originally created the homegroup on my network is no more. It seems that because of this that my new computer is unavailable to join the homegroup that already exists. Other computers that were part of the homegroup before the "host" computer died are still part of the homegroup...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Control Panel Homegroup not revealing Homegroup Password
I installed Windows 7 on my laptop, and I also have a desktop running Windows 7. I am trying to connect my laptop to my homegroup with the password for my homegroup, but my desktop will not reveal it. Is there any other place that I can find it? Thanks in advance for your help. theAdmiral
Network & Sharing
Homegroup problems - Homegroup detected, can't join. @wit's end
I have a desktop that is connected to my Belkin router via wire. I have 3 laptops that are all connected to the router wirelessly. All computers have Windows 7 64bit and synched clocks. All are connected to a Home network. All 3 laptops detect that a Homegroup has been created on the wired...
Network & Sharing
Homegroup encountered an error / This computer cannot join a homegroup
I get a "Homegroup encountered an error" message when I try to join my laptop and desktop to a homegroup. It does not matter which one sets it up and which one tries to join. It errors in either direction. I have tried leaving and creating, no use. The desktop is wired to a Belkin 300N router and...
Network & Sharing
Homegroup Not showing all PC's on one machine in Homegroup icon
I have a desktop and laptop both with WIN 7 and both with the same User ID. Both machines say "Joined" under Homegroup when I click on Network & Sharing Center. On the dtop in Windows Explorer the "HOMEGROUP" icon shows no other Homegroup connected machines but both machines are displayed...
Network & Sharing
Con't get my wirelss Laptop homegroup to find my pc ethernet homegroup
Hello all, I have connected my pc to the Linksys Wireless-G 2.4GHz directly with an Ethernet cable and created a homegroup. I then connected my laptop to the linksys with a wireless connection which has a WPA Personal security key. I tried to connect the laptop to the homegroup but instead of...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:34.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App