Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: HomeGroup password is incorrect.

01 Jul 2010   #21
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kainzo View Post
I'm having the same issues with this incorrect password, though a little to note... my computer "PC1" can create the group fine, my gf's pc "PC2" can see the homegroup but when joining it with the correct password, it states it is incorrect. When we both leave the homegroups (and restart) I cannot see the homegroup she creates, even after restarting.

Another note, the time is adjusted and synchronized as well. To make things even more interesting, she just reformatted and installed a fresh copy of Win 7 on her machine.. I'm a little stuck here.

fiOs router ultraline series 3 9100EM router

PC1 - Win 7 x64bit AMD Phenom II x4 / 4gig ram etc
PC2 - Win 7 x64bit AMD x2 / 2 gig ram etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm almost to the point of throwing a new Network card into her computer to see if that resolves the issues.
For this problem it usually works to delate a certain rogue file.

Open Windows explorer and navigate to the following file.

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking and delete all of the files in this folder. Now restart the computer.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Jul 2010   #22
Kainzo

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kainzo View Post
I'm having the same issues with this incorrect password, though a little to note... my computer "PC1" can create the group fine, my gf's pc "PC2" can see the homegroup but when joining it with the correct password, it states it is incorrect. When we both leave the homegroups (and restart) I cannot see the homegroup she creates, even after restarting.

Another note, the time is adjusted and synchronized as well. To make things even more interesting, she just reformatted and installed a fresh copy of Win 7 on her machine.. I'm a little stuck here.

fiOs router ultraline series 3 9100EM router

PC1 - Win 7 x64bit AMD Phenom II x4 / 4gig ram etc
PC2 - Win 7 x64bit AMD x2 / 2 gig ram etc

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm almost to the point of throwing a new Network card into her computer to see if that resolves the issues.
For this problem it usually works to delate a certain rogue file.

Open Windows explorer and navigate to the following file.

C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Roaming\PeerNetworking and delete all of the files in this folder. Now restart the computer.

Thank you for the response, unfortunately, I have attempted to do this. I deleted all the files in that folder and restarted, I was still unable to see PC2's Homegroup and PC2 cannot join my home group citing it is "incorrect password." I also see that PC2 was having trouble installing MW2 via steam games, stating a "network error"... Whenever I downloaded and attempted to use Network Magic Pro, it believed that PC2 was on "ICS" and Network Pro did not support it and must disable. Though during installation for PC1 for network magic pro, I didn't get an "ICS" message. Interesting.

The reason why the homegroup thing is so important is for 1) File sharing and 2) I believe it ties closely into why she cannot connect to games on MW2 PC Multiplayer. She is stuck at "synchronizing settings..." for a long time. There seems to be other things going on that I'm not very sure about.

I have double and triple checked that all computers are on the same network, have the same time synchronization, and all services are started (and automatic in most cases). Yet this issue still seemingly persists. PC2 has a fresh install of Win7. The router configurations (Ultraline Series 3) look to all be correct. The firewall configurations have not been messed with and no third party ones have ever been installed. As a side note, I do work for a System's Support group for a major tax software development company and I am wholesomely stumped by this.


My next steps are 1) turn off both firewalls (though I have tried this before but will again) 2) Possibly format PC1 to ensure there are FRESH installations on both PC's 3) Exchange the router for a new model / etc.



Any more feedback/advice would be greatly appreciated.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #23
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

I can tell you that networking programs like network magic and also pretty much any type of A/V software or third party firewalls cause countless problems with Homegroup functionality. Uninstalling them is often the only way to fix these types of problems.

Also make double extra sure that the time/date on all machines are in sync, one day off or just a few seconds can cause the password error to occur. I have seen this problems fixed at least a hundred times just by making sure the time/date is correct on all machines. You may also need to check the time/date in bios to make sure it's also correct.

There is also a good chance that your router "which I have never heard of" could also be having a problem with the IPv6 protocol which is required for Homegoups. Although you should be able to confirm that by doing an ipconfig /all to make sure that all machines are showing an IPv6 address.

I also found your blog
http://ryan.deluccio.net/blog/2009/s...sword-problem/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Jul 2010   #24
Kainzo

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
I can tell you that networking programs like network magic and also pretty much any type of A/V software or third party firewalls cause countless problems with Homegroup functionality. Uninstalling them is often the only way to fix these types of problems.

Also make double extra sure that the time/date on all machines are in sync, one day off or just a few seconds can cause the password error to occur. I have seen this problems fixed at least a hundred times just by making sure the time/date is correct on all machines. You may also need to check the time/date in bios to make sure it's also correct.

There is also a good chance that your router "which I have never heard of" could also be having a problem with the IPv6 protocol which is required for Homegoups. Although you should be able to confirm that by doing an ipconfig /all to make sure that all machines are showing an IPv6 address.

I also found your blog
Howto fix the Windows 7 Homegroup incorrect password problem. select * from weekend where time = 0;
Hey, thanks for replying.

The computers are sync'd in time/date, in the bios and from time.windows.com; officially from microsoft is if they are off by more than 24 hours, it will time stamp the password. The network magic pro was only installed at an attempt to fix this issue, it was pre-existing before hand. The router is a very common router, it is the modem / router combo from FiOS.. Ultraline Series 3 9100EM. It has a wireless/wired compatibility.

All machines are using IPv6 because that is a required aspect of the homegroup system.

As for the blog, i'm not sure what that is, however, this problem has been posted on other win7 forums
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #25
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

The reason why the homegroup thing is so important is for 1) File sharing and 2) I believe it ties closely into why she cannot connect to games on MW2 PC Multiplayer. She is stuck at "synchronizing settings..." for a long time. There seems to be other things going on that I'm not very sure about.

You should reinstall the Op system on this machine.

Before you install any programs make sure you can join the Homegroup and that sharing works. You should be able to join the Homegroup before you ever see the desktop. As long as one of your other Homegroup machines is turned on you will get a prompt to type in the Homegroup password before the desktop appears.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2010   #26
Kainzo

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
The reason why the homegroup thing is so important is for 1) File sharing and 2) I believe it ties closely into why she cannot connect to games on MW2 PC Multiplayer. She is stuck at "synchronizing settings..." for a long time. There seems to be other things going on that I'm not very sure about.

You should reinstall the Op system on this machine.

Before you install any programs make sure you can join the Homegroup and that sharing works. You should be able to join the Homegroup before you ever see the desktop. As long as one of your other Homegroup machines is turned on you will get a prompt to type in the Homegroup password before the desktop appears.
After a fresh install, this issue was still persisting. Before she even logged into windows, she attempted to join the home group with the password provided, same incorrect message, fresh installation, fresh boot. Instead of reinstalling again (to me I saw no purpose of doing so) we continued to set up the machine.

I have triple checked that all needed processes are running. I have ensured that BOTH machines are running at the standard MTU's of 1500, done by CMD | netsh | interface tcp show global, etc. Everything on the onboard LAN cards seem to be fully functioning. I have run a PING test from the working computer (PC1) to the non working computer (PC2)... after 3 hours, it came back with ZERO failure packets. I tried reversing the ping test, it produced the same results. There is nothing, that I can see wrong, with the connectivity on either of these machines.

I really wish I could find an answer to this issue, I'm runing out of options here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #27
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

What make and model is the problem machine Kainzo? What is the make and model of your router? Are there only two machines in this network? Can you perform an ipconfig /all and post the results here please.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #28
Kainzo

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
What make and model is the problem machine Kainzo? What is the make and model of your router? Are there only two machines in this network? Can you perform an ipconfig /all and post the results here please.
At the moment, I can't do the IPconfig /all, seeing as I am at work. There are only two machines on the network, with an offline PS3 unless we're playing it.

PC2:
mobo: ASUS-A8N SLI- DELUXE (on board audio/lan)
ram: 4gigs DDR1 ram (mixed but hasnt had any problems)
cpu: AMD Athlon x2 2.4gig
video: Radeon 5850
OS: Win7 Ultimate x64 fully updated via windows

The thing is this, the hardware has not changed, we were able to run the homegroup at one point and she was not experiencing this issue, it just randomly started happening. However, im not sure what changed, but something did - the computers were not opened so the hardware was not effected, it has to be something on the network / configuration, im just not sure what.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #29
chev65

Windows 7 Ult, Windows 8.1 Pro,
 
 

You didn't give me the routers make or model. I'll need that info to go any further. The fact that it worked at one time and now it doesn't could still be a router problem, happens all the time in fact. Firmware updates or resetting the router can fix these types of problem. The ipconfig info is to determine if IPv6 is working and that both machines are using the same default gateway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2010   #30
Kainzo

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by chev65 View Post
You didn't give me the routers make or model. I'll need that info to go any further. The fact that it worked at one time and now it doesn't could still be a router problem, happens all the time in fact. Firmware updates or resetting the router can fix these types of problem. The ipconfig info is to determine if IPv6 is working and that both machines are using the same default gateway.
The router/modem is a Westell Ultraline Series 3 9100EM, I dont have it on hand to look at any serials that it may have on the side/bottom of it. It's the FioS router/modem combo. It has a pretty heavy administration area. Lots of configurations.

Westell UltraLine Series3 9100EM - Pictures - dslreports.com

Here shows a post with all the pictures of the physical router.

It did at one point (two weeks ago) worked perfectly. PC2 (the PC having the issue has been reformatted and even with a fresh install of Win7) is experiencing this issue. I have checked the routers latest Firmware, it states it is to update automatically and it is currently update. I can however, manually force an update if I choose to. I have tried performing a hard reset on the router and a soft reset and then redoing the homegroups, this did not resolve the issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 HomeGroup password is incorrect.




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows password incorrect...
Hello SF. first of all, sorry if my english is not perfect. Now here is my problem: since yesterday, i just can't open a session. When i try to log in, Windows says that the username or the passeword is not correct. I've tried many things that i've seen on the web but still the same. Now i...
General Discussion
Homegroup Password Incorrect Error
I haven't read every single post about this error, but here's what worked for me. Make sure that the clocks are synced on all computers that you are networking. I know it sounds crazy but it has be done. Of course you do that with the time/date dialogue in the taskbar. Jim I almost went...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Control Panel Homegroup not revealing Homegroup Password
I installed Windows 7 on my laptop, and I also have a desktop running Windows 7. I am trying to connect my laptop to my homegroup with the password for my homegroup, but my desktop will not reveal it. Is there any other place that I can find it? Thanks in advance for your help. theAdmiral
Network & Sharing
Homegroup password incorrect
I've got 4 pc's all installed with W7 RTM, 3 pc's are 64bit and 1 pc has got the 32bit installed. My problem is two of my 4 pc's (64bit) can join the homegroup, but the other 2 gives me a error of: incorrect password. What I've tried 1. Ive read all you forums regarding this error and...
Network & Sharing
Password incorrect after resetting
Hi, I hope this is the right place for this post, sorry if it's not. OS = windows 7 home premium. Windows is not recognising my password. I just reset my windows password using a windows password resetting program. The password was reset to no password. After resetting, the system loaded...
Windows Updates & Activation
Username/password incorrect
So this is my issue. I work for a University and I am working on a Win7 image. After doing the image, I got this "error" http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a64/Tx_Cat/photo.jpg But after I press the ok, I get the window to input the username and password and everythings works ok. What could...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App