Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Network Security Key Mismatch

3 Weeks Ago   #1
tjg79

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 
Network Security Key Mismatch

My system has a wireless adapter that uses the Ralink software. I added a new printer and I haven't been able to establish a wireless connection. When I attempt to connect, I get prompted for the Network Security Key, but the attempt to connect always fails with an indication of Network Security Key Mismatch.


I've removed and added the network connection several times, but haven't had any success. I suspect it's an security and encryption type issue. I've selected WPA/WPA2-Personal Security Types and AES/TKIP Encryption Types in different combinations, but still no success.


My printer is an HP Photosmart 7520 and it appears to have a WPS security type and I don't see an option to change the printer or wireless card to have the same security type.


I know that this wireless connection can be successful, because I had the connection working with a different HP Photosmart 7520.


Does anyone have a solution?


Regards


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
2 Weeks Ago   #2
wither 2

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
 
 

Does this help (It's from the HP 7520 help)

Find the password in Windows
View your password from any Windows computer that is already connected to your network.
Right-click the wireless network tray icon , and then select Open Network and Sharing Center.
Open Network and Sharing Center selection with wireless network task tray icon highlighted
Select Change Adapter Settings.
Right-click the name of your wireless network, and then click Status.
Click Wireless Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then select the Show characters check box to see the wireless network security key (your password).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Weeks Ago   #3
tjg79

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wither 2 View Post
Does this help (It's from the HP 7520 help)

Find the password in Windows
View your password from any Windows computer that is already connected to your network.
Right-click the wireless network tray icon , and then select Open Network and Sharing Center.
Open Network and Sharing Center selection with wireless network task tray icon highlighted
Select Change Adapter Settings.
Right-click the name of your wireless network, and then click Status.
Click Wireless Properties.
Click the Security tab, and then select the Show characters check box to see the wireless network security key (your password).

I've done that many times. I've removed the network and added it again with no success. I've simplified the network security key to only eight characters with no success.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

2 Weeks Ago   #4
wither 2

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
 
 

What happens if you go to the Network option in Control Panel and turn off Password Protected Sharing?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Weeks Ago   #5
tjg79

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wither 2 View Post
What happens if you go to the Network option in Control Panel and turn off Password Protected Sharing?

I still get the box to input the Network Security Key.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Weeks Ago   #6
wither 2

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
 
 

I have an Envy 7640. On the printer display, I can select Wi-Fi Direct Details. It provides the Network name and the WPA2 password. Both are HP names. I don't have time right now to look at your display but I'd be interested in what it says, if you have that option.

I'm at a disadvantage because I don't have a Wi-Fi adapter except for a Logitech one connected to a DVR. My Envy is USB connected.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Weeks Ago   #7
tjg79

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wither 2 View Post
I have an Envy 7640. On the printer display, I can select Wi-Fi Direct Details. It provides the Network name and the WPA2 password. Both are HP names. I don't have time right now to look at your display but I'd be interested in what it says, if you have that option.

I'm at a disadvantage because I don't have a Wi-Fi adapter except for a Logitech one connected to a DVR. My Envy is USB connected.

Yes, my HP Photosmart 7520 has Wi-Fi Direct and Wireless. My Wi-Fi Direct is connected to my DSL Modem wireless feature. Wi-Fi Direct communicates with the PC through the DSL modem. However, my Desktop PC is connected to the DSL modem via cable. So, I usually have my DSL Modem wireless feature disabled and only enable my wireless adapter (non-Wi-Fi Direct) to the printer when I need to print something. So, normally, I have all my wireless connections, Wi-Fi Direct and Wireless, disabled.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Weeks Ago   #8
wither 2

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
 
 

I may have confused things. The Wi-Fi Direct is for printing from a mobile device. I was thinking that it's network and password names might have something to do with your problem. However, I don't understand the rest of your setup.

Have you ever tried HP AUTO Wireless Connect as mentioned here-

Connecting your HP wireless printer | Wireless Printing Center | HP(R) Official Site
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Weeks Ago   #9
tjg79

Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wither 2 View Post
I may have confused things. The Wi-Fi Direct is for printing from a mobile device. I was thinking that it's network and password names might have something to do with your problem. However, I don't understand the rest of your setup.

Have you ever tried HP AUTO Wireless Connect as mentioned here-

Connecting your HP wireless printer | Wireless Printing Center | HP(R) Official Site

Wi-Fi Direct works on desktops as well. It connected to my DSL modem. However, as I indicated above, I don't like to use it, because I don't use wireless to network my desktop to the internet. Wi-Fi Direct doesn't use the network security key; that's used for connecting to the wireless adapter on my motherboard.


There must be a wireless network security key remnant from my previous printer wireless connection in my system somewhere.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
2 Weeks Ago   #10
wither 2

Windows 7 Pro SP1 64 bit
 
 

You didn't answer my question. That option obviates the need for keys/passwords. As I understand it, you would not want the modem wireless receiver enabled when you're doing that. Just use the wireless adapter. However, I don't know if that would affect Wi-Fi Direct.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Network Security Key Mismatch




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows saying "Network Security Key Mismatch" when trying to connect
Recently, I built a new PC. Everything was working fine, no issues whatsoever until one day I find that my internet is playing up. It started off as just being generally slow, only loading specific sites and a yellow triangle would apear over the WiFi icon and then I couldn't get any connection at...
Network & Sharing
USB mismatch
Hello I have a IBM Thinkpad T60 and has 3 physical usb slots. I am running Windows 7 Ultimate (trial version) and in the device manager it shows 5 USB root hubs. Could someone explain the mismatch, since my understanding is that the 2 values should match see attachment. Any advice would be...
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 security key mismatch
HELP PLEASE FORWARD TOWARDS THE PASSWORD NOT going in what I do.This comes after. Photo: http://i53.tinypic.com/24y4511.jpg
Network & Sharing
APC Mismatch
I get the BSOD probably 2 or 3 times a week due to this bug. Minidump file attached:
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46.
Twitter Facebook Google+