Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 intermittently drops wired connection

01 Feb 2010   #11
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

I'm not sure if these dropouts are traits of ADSL technology cos data goes through a phone line, rather than a dedicated cable line. Obviously there are more interferrences with ADSL lines than cables. I'm not up to speed with ADSL, but how good is the seperation between modem usage and actual telephone usage? i'm sure it's totally independant.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Feb 2010   #12
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

When you're disconnected, what was the ping message when you ping your router?

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2010   #13
AlanAngle

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
When you're disconnected, what was the ping message when you ping your router?

zzz2496
When I'm disconnected, I lose all connectivity both to the internet and on the local lan, so pinging (for example) Google will time out, but also pinging 192.168.1.1 (the router's lan ip address) will also time out.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

01 Feb 2010   #14
AlanAngle

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aem View Post
I'm not sure if these dropouts are traits of ADSL technology cos data goes through a phone line, rather than a dedicated cable line. Obviously there are more interferrences with ADSL lines than cables. I'm not up to speed with ADSL, but how good is the seperation between modem usage and actual telephone usage? i'm sure it's totally independant.
I don't think this problem is anything to do with the router or the ADSL in general.

I previously had a Windows XP-based machine hooked up to the router in exactly the same way, and that never had a single problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2010   #15
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

"Request timed out" or "Destination host unreachable"?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Feb 2010   #16
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlanAngle View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
When you're disconnected, what was the ping message when you ping your router?

zzz2496
When I'm disconnected, I lose all connectivity both to the internet and on the local lan, so pinging (for example) Google will time out, but also pinging 192.168.1.1 (the router's lan ip address) will also time out.
Dropping internet connection should not block you from connecting to your router given that the machine is directely connected to the router. 192.168.1.1 is the local ip address of the router as you said and i assume is also your default gateway. I don't know how W7 can cut off internet connection as well as controlling your adapter's ability to not connect to 192.168.1.1. By default, it shouldn't. I'm not convince that it's W7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2010   #17
AlanAngle

Windows 7 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aem View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlanAngle View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
When you're disconnected, what was the ping message when you ping your router?

zzz2496
When I'm disconnected, I lose all connectivity both to the internet and on the local lan, so pinging (for example) Google will time out, but also pinging 192.168.1.1 (the router's lan ip address) will also time out.
Dropping internet connection should not block you from connecting to your router given that the machine is directely connected to the router. 192.168.1.1 is the local ip address of the router as you said and i assume is also your default gateway. I don't know how W7 can cut off internet connection as well as controlling your adapter's ability to not connect to 192.168.1.1. By default, it shouldn't. I'm not convince that it's W7.
I think mentioning the internet has perhaps mislead some people as it's not just the internet.

Personally, I'm not convinced it's my router and/or the internet connection, as when I was running Windows XP, I never had any problem. This has only started to occur since upgrading to Windows 7. Moreover, it's the entire Network Adapter that seems to "die" (until such time as it's disabled/re-enabled) therefore ALL connectivity associated with that adapter (which includes both internet and local LAN) "dies" with it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #18
Zedar

Windows 7
 
 

I'm having the exact same issue with our media center PC.

I'm using the Asus M4A77TD Pro motherboard with a built in Realtek integrated LAN controller. Sound familiar?

I downloaded the latest drivers from Realtek, and they worked - for awhile... now I'm back to having the same issues since the latest Windows 7 updates.

I'll be installing new drivers today, and I'll check back to let you know how it goes!

Edit: btw - this is NOT an internet/DSL/ISP issue. This is a problem related to the network adapter card and windows. That much I know for sure - when it goes, you lose all network connectivity.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #19
aem

Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlanAngle View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by aem View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AlanAngle View Post

When I'm disconnected, I lose all connectivity both to the internet and on the local lan, so pinging (for example) Google will time out, but also pinging 192.168.1.1 (the router's lan ip address) will also time out.
Dropping internet connection should not block you from connecting to your router given that the machine is directely connected to the router. 192.168.1.1 is the local ip address of the router as you said and i assume is also your default gateway. I don't know how W7 can cut off internet connection as well as controlling your adapter's ability to not connect to 192.168.1.1. By default, it shouldn't. I'm not convince that it's W7.
I think mentioning the internet has perhaps mislead some people as it's not just the internet.

Personally, I'm not convinced it's my router and/or the internet connection, as when I was running Windows XP, I never had any problem. This has only started to occur since upgrading to Windows 7. Moreover, it's the entire Network Adapter that seems to "die" (until such time as it's disabled/re-enabled) therefore ALL connectivity associated with that adapter (which includes both internet and local LAN) "dies" with it.
the adapter is a device seperate to the OS. If it's driver's is more taylored to work with Xp than W7, which is always a possibility, then it's the drivers (the coding of it) which may well cause the droppages. The OS uses the drivers provided by the vendor and the universial networking protocols (eg tcp/ip) to get things to work. Basically it works with what it's given.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
07 Feb 2010   #20
DanX

Windows 7 (7600 OEM)
 
 

Hi
I have the same problem as AlanAngle and Zedar but the situation is lite different.
Linksys router(wired connection) and 3 Windows 7 systems(the oldest is a Dell GX280 and works as expected), 2 Vista, 2 Window XP SP3, 2 FreeBSD and one Debian Linux.

The problem show only on one system(see system specs) using Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection(using the latest drives from Windows Update).

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards,
Dan

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 intermittently drops wired connection




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Regular drops in wired internet connection
Afternoon all! I'm having an issue where my internet connection will seemingly drop for a split second, and then reconnect. For example, I will be signed into IRC and will have a momentary drop in connection which boots me out, and then I will instantly reconnect. Another example would be...
Network & Sharing
wired connection drops/ refreshes
Hello My PC (win7 pro 64) is connected to a superhub via a wire. over the past month or so i am suffering from intermittent loss of connection for about 5 seconds. this can happen every hour, sometimes more frequently. the signs i see are: loss of streaming data no connection...
Network & Sharing
Internet Access Randomly Drops on Wired & Wireless Connection
Hi All, I've got an older Acer Timeline 4810t running Windows 7. We recently switched from Cox Cable internet to AT&T U-Verse, and I've started noticing that my internet connection will randomly go out when I am connected. This occurs whether I am on a wired or wireless connection. Specifically,...
Network & Sharing
Wireless connection drops intermittently
I have recently installed windows 7 and am frustrated with the Wireless connection drop outs . i have run the troubleshooting wizard and it fixed the problem some times. I am attaching the diagnostic log for ur information. I am using Planex Wireless adapter and a Buffalo Nfinity wireless...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Connection Drop Intermittently when Using an NVIDIA nForce
Windows 7 Connection Drop Intermittently when Using an NVIDIA nForce Network Controller - Softpedia
News
Windows 7 intermittently drops wired connection
Sympton: When I'm disconnected, I lose all connectivity both to the internet and on the local lan, so pinging (for example) Google will time out, but also pinging 192.168.1.1 (the router's lan ip address) will also time out Fix : Start -> dev manager -> network adapter. Double click, open...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:12.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App