Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: slow networking speeds

28 Apr 2010   #11
MadMax1412

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Well guys, following my previous posts, I found I couldn't disconnect from the homegroup and even tried some ideas from threads regarding this problem but still couldn't disconnect.

So I did a format of the partition and re-installed Win7 from scratch. I then installed AVG 9 (Free), did Windows update, installed Mobo chipset drivers (I didn't install the NIC drivers from Gigabyte's (mobo) website as I wanted to see how Win7 drivers went), installed drivers for my TV card, installed Office 2003, did Microsoft update (to get Office updates). I also went into Networking and said I wanted to leave the Homegroup which it allowed me to do (after the warning regarding sharing etc)

My network speed is still rubbish. Since I've done this re-install a few days ago, I've tried transferring some of my TV shows via a mapped drive to the Thecus N2200 box. Clicking on the mapped drive usually brings up the listing of files immediately although there's some times when there seems to be a delay with the green bar progressing along the top, but perhaps this is due to doing it immediately after startup and there's some delayed services still starting. Anyway, the transfer speeds are around 6 - 26 kbps so I end up canceling the transfer as you can imagine how long it will take to transfer files ranging from 1GB to 2GB in size.

Last night was the worse. It's now doing what I saw prior to my initial "repair" and subsequent "fresh" installs. What happens is:

  • The network icon in bottom right corner keeps showing a red circle, becomes green and then circle disappears. A few seconds later, it does it all over again.
  • Right clicking on this icon and bring up the network map shows the connection from my computer existing and then disappearing then coming back.
  • From this screen, at the bottom left corner, there's a link to the Firewall. Clicking on this shows a 2-pane window. When it first displayed, it had Home connected, Public disconnected. Then it would alternate. Home would disconnect and Public would connect.
Why is it doing this? Since I told it I wanted to leave the Homegroup, why does Windows Firewall even show something about being connected to a Home or Public group??

I even went into the properties of the NIC and set a default IP of 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.254 and the same for the DNS. In case it's of any importance, my ADSL modem/router is a Billion BiPac 7402. There's also a couple of switch boxes in my network setup since the Billion only has 4 and I have more network devices than that.

Why can't I get a stable network connection?
Why, when I do have a network connection, is my transfer speed to either the Thecus N2200 NAS box or my WinXP 32 bit computer so slow? (Prior to the last install, I had to resort to a cross over cable from Win7 to WinXP to transfer my files and then use the network to transfer from WinXP to N2200)

I haven't tried looking at whether shared drives work now after the install. This is another issue I'm having and have raised another thread about. FYI, my Ziova network media players can see the Win7 computer (indicating it's in the same workgroup) but when I select it, it says there's no shares. I'm not going to work on this issue until I get my network stability and transfer speed issue resolved first. I noticed in an earlier posting above that NoS said:

Quote:
You'll have as well to set the DNS Name (WORKGROUP) in the advanced properties of your card.
Can someone please help me? As a stand alone computer, Win7 65 bit Pro is wonderful. Very quick and stable. But when it comes to networking, it's shocking if the network is anything other than other Win7 computers (I assume Win7 -> Win7 networking will be a breeze with homegroups and IP6)

Thanks in advance


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Apr 2010   #12
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

This is most likely a driver problem. Try disabling "Jumbo Frames" if you see one in the NIC's option in Device Manager. It won't hurt to update the NIC driver to the latest one, and oh - disable IPv6 if you don't use Homegroup/IPv6. See if it helps...

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #13
Zepher

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Failing switch maybe. Is there a way you can hardwire the 2 machines together and try that. You won't need a x-over cable since nearly every GigE adapter has auto-mdix.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Apr 2010   #14
MadMax1412

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
Failing switch maybe. Is there a way you can hardwire the 2 machines together and try that. You won't need a x-over cable since nearly every GigE adapter has auto-mdix.
I gather by the 2 machines you want me to hardwire together, you are talking about the Win7 computer and the N2200??

Here's how my setup is.

4 computers in my 'office' at home - Win7 Pro 64bit, 2 x WinXP 32bit, 1 x Ubuntu. All these connected to a switch. From the switch, it's connected to the socket in the wall.

Lounge-room and Bedroom - both have a Ziova/Zensonic Network media player connected to socket in wall.

Hallway closet - All wall sockets in other rooms come into this closet in addition to a telephone line. Closet has Billion Modem, Thecus N2200 NAS box and another switch.


As mentioned, yesterday the "network" connection just kept resetting yet the day before it was stable. I didn't have time this morning to see how it was. I have tried changing the port on the switch box in the "office" it's connected to.


Are there any event viewer logs I should specifically look out for? Or is there any other Performance/Error logs that Win7 generates that I should look at?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Apr 2010   #15
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I would really try to get my hands on another switch at this point to test with. My speeds on Windows 64-bit and 32-bit have been very solid at work. Going across a Netgear small SOHO switch or a Cisco 2970, I'm seeing speeds around 70-80MB/s consistently from Win64 to Server 2008, to Server 2003 and to Linux hosts.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #16
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Hi MadMax1412,

First you'll have to name all your computers "PC Name.WORKGROUP" (see screenshots!)
Keep the name you created when you had activated your copies of windows on each computers, and name them WORKGROUP.

They will all appear like: PC Name.WORKGROUP


Attached Thumbnails
slow networking speeds-capture.png   slow networking speeds-captureb.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #17
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Second you'll have to set on each computer as the post above (on all computers aswell), the DNS name (WORKGROUP) in your card Wireless or NIC , depend if you are wired or not...(see again screenshots).

This will resolve some of your troubles...maybe not all but if all your computers are set the same they will be connected better & faster recognized together.

Name their IP adress in order to use:
-Computer 1: 192.168.1.11...192.168.1.1 (Wifi router)
-Computer 2: 192.168.1.12
-Computer 3: 192.168.1.13
-Computer 4: 192.168.1.14

Or if Wired you should use: 192.168.0.11 instead...192.168.0.1 (NIC router)


Attached Thumbnails
slow networking speeds-capture.png   slow networking speeds-captureb.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #18
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Third you'll have the options tweaking the registry for "LanmanServer & LanmanWorkstation" Parameters & "Tcpip" Parameters....to secure & improve the bandwidth.

But this is another later matter discuss for the Windows 2000 Professional Ed. And you can find over the net some of it.

Hope these 3 posts helps! Let us know...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #19
zzz2496

Windows7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Hi MadMax1412,

First you'll have to name all your computers "PC Name.WORKGROUP" (see screenshots!)
Keep the name you created when you had activated your copies of windows, and name them WORKGROUP.

They will all appear like: PC Name.WORKGROUP
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Second you'll have to set on each computer as the post above (on all computers aswell), the DNS name (WORKGROUP) in your card Wireless or NIC , depend if you are wired or not...(see again screenshots).

This will resolve some of your troubles...maybe not all but if all your computers are set the same they will be connected better & faster recognized together.

Name their IP adress in order to use:
-Computer 1: 192.168.1.11...192.168.1.1 (Wifi router)
-Computer 2: 192.168.1.12
-Computer 3: 192.168.1.13
-Computer 4: 192.168.1.14

Or if Wired you should use: 192.168.0.11 instead...192.168.0.1 (NIC router)
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Third you'll have the options tweaking the registry for "LanmanServer & LanmanWorkstation" Parameters & "Tcpip" Parameters....to secure & improve the bandwidth.

But this is another later matter, discuss for the Windows 2000 Professional Ed. And you can find over the net some of it.

Hope these 3 posts helps! Let us know...
Wow, nicely done... I had my days in W2K Client/Server administration. Your guide brings back memories (good ones, and ugly ones) One correction though, "WORKGROUP" is not a "DNS name", it's WINS name/group and you don't need to be on the same "workgroup" to be able to contact each other. Workgroups are only for "folder"-ing networked computers so when you open Network (or Network neighborhood) it will only show computers in your current workgroup, simplifying your network browsing experience.

zzz2496
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Apr 2010   #20
NoN

Windows 7 Professional SP1 - x64 [Non-UEFI Boot]
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by zzz2496 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Hi MadMax1412,

First you'll have to name all your computers "PC Name.WORKGROUP" (see screenshots!)
Keep the name you created when you had activated your copies of windows, and name them WORKGROUP.

They will all appear like: PC Name.WORKGROUP
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Second you'll have to set on each computer as the post above (on all computers aswell), the DNS name (WORKGROUP) in your card Wireless or NIC , depend if you are wired or not...(see again screenshots).

This will resolve some of your troubles...maybe not all but if all your computers are set the same they will be connected better & faster recognized together.

Name their IP adress in order to use:
-Computer 1: 192.168.1.11...192.168.1.1 (Wifi router)
-Computer 2: 192.168.1.12
-Computer 3: 192.168.1.13
-Computer 4: 192.168.1.14

Or if Wired you should use: 192.168.0.11 instead...192.168.0.1 (NIC router)
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by NoN View Post
Third you'll have the options tweaking the registry for "LanmanServer & LanmanWorkstation" Parameters & "Tcpip" Parameters....to secure & improve the bandwidth.

But this is another later matter, discuss for the Windows 2000 Professional Ed. And you can find over the net some of it.

Hope these 3 posts helps! Let us know...
Wow, nicely done... I had my days in W2K Client/Server administration. Your guide brings back memories (good ones, and ugly ones) One correction though, "WORKGROUP" is not a "DNS name", it's WINS name/group and you don't need to be on the same "workgroup" to be able to contact each other. Workgroups are only for "folder"-ing networked computers so when you open Network (or Network neighborhood) it will only show computers in your current workgroup, simplifying your network browsing experience.

zzz2496
WORKGROUP is only there for the purpose of resolving NetBios Name..."Wins" should be set as default either.

That's what I meant in those previous posts, by simplifying the network browsing experience.


Attached Thumbnails
slow networking speeds-capture.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 slow networking speeds




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Slow download speeds, Fast upload speeds. Other devices are fine.
My computer has extremely slow download speeds, upload speeds are fine. Ping is always at ~10-20ms. (to Google) The problem has nothing to do with, my ISP, my router, my type of connection. I know this for a fact. http://www.speedtest.net/result/3745496488.png I've tried multiple network...
Network & Sharing
Slow Wireless Speeds - Laptop is fine, Desktop is SLOW
Hello all, First off, I have been searching these forums for several days and have seen a number of people reporting slow wireless connections in Windows 7. Which was comforting, knowing I was not alone - but unfortunately I've yet to find the answer in any of the older posts, so I am hoping...
Network & Sharing
Very Slow Dl Speeds
For some reason I am getting very slow DL speeds using Utorrent. It starts up ok, with a reasonably healthy Kbs, then slowly drops down to 1-2 Kbs. I have tried many torrents from different sources as to be sure it wasn't the source of the DL's. I remember there used to be a Tp open port patch...
Network & Sharing
VERY slow download speeds
Have a new WIN 7 Dell Inspiron 620, i3 processor with a built-in Dell 1520 LAN card (Atheros build). I can't get above 1mb download speeds. iMac nearby does 3mb-6mb, wired machine does 9mb, this machine under 1mb. in Safe Mode, speed picks up to 3mb. At Geek Squad counter, 3 hours switching...
Network & Sharing
Windows 7 Slow USB Speeds
Hi, I have noticed when transferring files from or to a USB stick/external HDD, or anything, the rate in which the speed this happens is incredibly slow, I read that "theoretically", on USB 2.0 you could attain 60MB/s, however in most cases it is about 30MB/s, I have read of many topics from using...
Performance & Maintenance
Slow Download Speeds
I recently bought a new Sony Vaio VPCCW13FX that is running on Windows 7 home premium 64-bit. I've been trying to install through steam a few games that I had on my old computer, but I've been getting downloads at about 400-600 KB/s instead of the 1.3 MB/s that I could get on my old computer. I'm...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:42.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App