Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Dynamic IP's

18 Mar 2010   #21
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vaughnb21 View Post
So...any ideas?
What exactly are you trying to do? It seems you have a DHCP address assigned. 192.168.1.64.

Do you really need this to change, and why?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Mar 2010   #22
vaughnb21

Windows 7 Home Premium
 
 

For one thing, Megavideo. Another, just so I know how. I know I have a dynamic IP, but I can't seem to change it. I merely want to know how.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2010   #23
darkassain

Windows 7 Ult x64(x2), HomePrem x32(x4), Server 08 (+VM), 08 R2 (VM) , SuSe 11.2 (VM), XP 32 (VM)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vaughnb21 View Post
So...any ideas?
What exactly are you trying to do? It seems you have a DHCP address assigned. 192.168.1.64.

Do you really need this to change, and why?
i also don't understand...
this being a 2wire modem the modem is just most likely has a preassigned IP for this computer which it has already leased
according to my modem the amount of time (DHCP Lease Time) is 24 hours which you can change
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vaughnb21 View Post
For one thing, Megavideo. Another, just so I know how. I know I have a dynamic IP, but I can't seem to change it. I merely want to know how.
this wont work as its looking at the either the public ip, cookies or both....
you need to change the public ip (meaning wan side) ip most likely
you can either do that by unplugging the modem cable or restarting the router
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Mar 2010   #24
pparks1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Ok, quick lesson on DHCP for you.

When you first turn on your computer, it broadcasts for a DHCP address. When the DHCP server gets the request, it only sees the MAC address (Physical Address) and records the MAC address and assigns a DHCP address to it.

That DHCP address is given for a certain lease time. Let's say it's 4 days. So, 5 hours later, you reboot the computer, it broadcasts again for an address and the server notices that it gave the address of 192.168.1.64 previously to this MAC address. Since it hasn't given that address out to anybody else yet, it simply reassigns it back to the client.

At the 50% lease mark (2 days in my example), the computer will automatically try to renew that lease. If successfull, the computer will renew it again for 4 more days.

So, lets say that you turn off your computer for 5 days. Well, in the course of 5 days, the lease on your computer would expire. However, if the DHCP server doesn't give that address to another machine...then your machine will get that same address again for another 4 days.

So, the best way to get a new address is to get a different MAC address. And the best way to do that is to install a new network card into your computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Mar 2010   #25
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Ok, quick lesson on DHCP for you.

When you first turn on your computer, it broadcasts for a DHCP address. When the DHCP server gets the request, it only sees the MAC address (Physical Address) and records the MAC address and assigns a DHCP address to it.

That DHCP address is given for a certain lease time. Let's say it's 4 days. So, 5 hours later, you reboot the computer, it broadcasts again for an address and the server notices that it gave the address of 192.168.1.64 previously to this MAC address. Since it hasn't given that address out to anybody else yet, it simply reassigns it back to the client.

At the 50% lease mark (2 days in my example), the computer will automatically try to renew that lease. If successfull, the computer will renew it again for 4 more days.

So, lets say that you turn off your computer for 5 days. Well, in the course of 5 days, the lease on your computer would expire. However, if the DHCP server doesn't give that address to another machine...then your machine will get that same address again for another 4 days.

So, the best way to get a new address is to get a different MAC address. And the best way to do that is to install a new network card into your computer.
You hit a homerun there pparks!

To draw an analogy... the DHCP server is akin to a dealer in a poker game. DHCP deals out the IPs as PC's are turned on and alert the DHCP they need an IP.

Preferred IP means that the PC get this address because it has had it before and thus it is the preferred IP for that MAC address.

Unfortunatley, for those of us who play poker... we dont get the AA we prefer as hole cards in holdem! LOL!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #26
brady

 

Quote:
My router/modem(it's actually both at once, as it has built-on wireless, and multiple ethernet ports) is an AT&T U-Verse 3800HGV-B.
You'll need to either reset the router or call your ISP for an ip change.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Mar 2010   #27
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by vaughnb21 View Post
Alright, I'm about to end up tearing my hair out over this. I'm trying to get my IP to refresh, so I can get a new one. Doing it on Windows XP was easy enough. But for the life of me, I cannot get this dang thing to work. Each time I try

It gives me a stupid error. I've been to every corner of the internet trying to figure out what in the world I'm supposed to do. Now I'm not exactly super-savvy with this stuff, but I do know that everything I've tried so far should work. I know I have a dynamic IP address, checked that myself and called to find out. But even so, I always have the same one.

So. Does anyone, at all, know how to get a dynamic IP address to change, or to use the above codes to change it? Or something else? Tearing out my hair here...
Your internal IP doesnt really matter... everything should work as usual, no matter what internal (private) IP your router/modem issues a PC.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Dynamic IP's




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
dynamic disk to basic disk when win 7 is installed on dynamic disk
ok... first time... so i got this cool Hp laptop .... nice the bad part ... I had a single 500 gb Hard disk. only two partitions ... experimented to partition it ... 1. I upgraded my basic drive to dynamic drive ( got four partitions now) 2. My OS (win 7 home premium x64) is on one of the...
General Discussion
Does anyone actually use dynamic volumes?
I've been reading up on dynamic volumes, and while they are interesting, I wonder if they are actually used in the real world, and if so, more by enterprises than individuals? What's your experience, and do you see big advantages to them? Thanks.
General Discussion
Static AND Dynamic IP?
Is there a way that I can have Windows auto configure my IP settings, so that when I'm connected to my home network, it uses the static iP settings I have, but when I'm at school or anywhere else, switch back to dynamic? Normally I have to go into the settings and turn it on and off every time.
Network & Sharing
dynamic disk
I started a new partition and realized i dont need it now i just want to delete the partition, what is the best course of action here..:mad:
General Discussion
dynamic IP question
Hi guys. I have a question about dynamic IPs. Well, to start. I don't want the DHCP server JUST for my computer to not renew the lease on the IP address. Secondly, I want to know if what I just asked is possible or not? (yea, LOL) Thanks for help in advance, Win7Build7600
Network & Sharing
Dynamic disk?
I've just bought an HP DV6 2113-SA laptop. It has Win7 HP 64 bit installed. As it has a 500 GB hdd I wanted to create a backup partition, leaving about 100gb for the C:\Windows partition. This is so that when I run Acronis True Image 2010 it kept the image to a more manageable size and I needed the...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App