Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot get an IP address automatically

08 Apr 2010   #1
ukblacknight

Windows 7
 
 
Cannot get an IP address automatically

I recently replaced Windows 7 RC with my version of Windows 7 Pro x64 from my universities MSDNAA.

The problem, is that Windows can't assign itself an IP address. I must go into the adapter settings and manually enter my LAN address (192.168.1.2) and my gateway address. After I set these, it looks for the problem and says that DHCP is turned off (it shouldn't be), and then applies the fix. I have to do this every time I boot into Windows. My previous install of Windows 7 RC didn't do this, and my primary OS, Ubuntu, works fine too.

Any solutions?

Kind regards,
Tom


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Apr 2010   #2
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ukblacknight View Post
I recently replaced Windows 7 RC with my version of Windows 7 Pro x64 from my universities MSDNAA.

The problem, is that Windows can't assign itself an IP address. I must go into the adapter settings and manually enter my LAN address (192.168.1.2) and my gateway address. After I set these, it looks for the problem and says that DHCP is turned off (it shouldn't be), and then applies the fix. I have to do this every time I boot into Windows. My previous install of Windows 7 RC didn't do this, and my primary OS, Ubuntu, works fine too.

Any solutions?

Kind regards,
Tom

This is probably a services issue....

Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Services.

Set "DHCP Client" to Automatic
Set "DNS Client" to Automatic

In the adaptor settings where you've been keying your IP...
Set it to "Obtain IP Address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server Address automatically"...

Restart your system.

In your router/switch ... check settings and be sure that DNS and DHCP are enabled there too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2010   #3
ukblacknight

Windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by CommonTater View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ukblacknight View Post
I recently replaced Windows 7 RC with my version of Windows 7 Pro x64 from my universities MSDNAA.

The problem, is that Windows can't assign itself an IP address. I must go into the adapter settings and manually enter my LAN address (192.168.1.2) and my gateway address. After I set these, it looks for the problem and says that DHCP is turned off (it shouldn't be), and then applies the fix. I have to do this every time I boot into Windows. My previous install of Windows 7 RC didn't do this, and my primary OS, Ubuntu, works fine too.

Any solutions?

Kind regards,
Tom

This is probably a services issue....

Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Services.

Set "DHCP Client" to Automatic
Set "DNS Client" to Automatic

In the adaptor settings where you've been keying your IP...
Set it to "Obtain IP Address automatically" and "Obtain DNS server Address automatically"...

Restart your system.

In your router/switch ... check settings and be sure that DNS and DHCP are enabled there too.
I just booted back in, and the DHCP and DNS services were already set to automatic and were running. The adapter settings was already on "Obtain IP Address automatically", it changes itself back to that after a reboot. There's a shield icon on the properties for the adapter, indicating that the system should escalate privileges to administrator to change such settings, but I'm never prompted - could this be the reason why it never remembers my settings?

DHCP is running on the router, every other device in the house connects to it fine :\ If I look on the router under "Attached Devices", it lists my machine with an IP of 192.168.1.167, where as when I'm running under Ubuntu, it's 192.168.1.2.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Apr 2010   #4
CommonTater

XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ukblacknight View Post
I just booted back in, and the DHCP and DNS services were already set to automatic and were running. The adapter settings was already on "Obtain IP Address automatically", it changes itself back to that after a reboot. There's a shield icon on the properties for the adapter, indicating that the system should escalate privileges to administrator to change such settings, but I'm never prompted - could this be the reason why it never remembers my settings?

DHCP is running on the router, every other device in the house connects to it fine :\ If I look on the router under "Attached Devices", it lists my machine with an IP of 192.168.1.167, where as when I'm running under Ubuntu, it's 192.168.1.2.
I'm not one to leap directly to "get new drivers" or any of the other trite advice you'll see on forums like this. Most problems end up being settings or connections issues... but in this case, maybe you should try updating your network drivers before you go too much further.

Also is IPv6 running? Some routers just can't deal with it so you might also try unchecking that and rebooting.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot get an IP address automatically




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
network adapter automatically gets assigned APIPA address on windows 7
I am having issues with the network adapter automatically gets assigned APIPA address after some time on windows 7 (64 bit). All the other devices on the network works fine. I tried using USB to Ethernet adapter and it gets the IP in the range 192.168.1.0/24 but after some time(like in 2 days) it...
Network & Sharing
Outlook: send automatically a copy of sent emails to his own address?
Hi everybody, I'm just wondering if there is any method to customize or outlook to send automatically a copy of all sent messages to his own inbox folder? I know, this is possible but it should be done manually by adding his own email each time we want to receive a copy. But I'm looking for a...
Browsers & Mail
IP address changes automatically
I have 3 Win 7 computers in LAN (simple lan) with 192.168.1.5 / 6 / 8 ip address given to them. Default gateway set to 192.168.1.1 ( ip of my broadband modem). Many times when my pcs are restarted , the IP address fields are turned blank and the option " Obtain IP address automatically" gets...
Network & Sharing
IP Address - Change Automatically
How to Change Your IP Address QUICKLY and EASILY - Works only for DIRECT CONNECTIONS with the Internet using Cable or ADSL Modem - DO NOT TURN OFF a modem is required - Does NOT work with Router - The NAME of Windows Network Connection needs to have the same name of the .bat file...
Tutorials
Wireless Network - IP address not resolving automatically
Hello everyone, Up until yesterday, everything was sunshine and lollipops in the land of Windows 7. However, I am now no longer able to connect to my Home Network. Instead, Windows continually insists that my network is "Unidentified Network" and refuses to provided internet access despite...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App