Command Prompt command <ipconfig> not working

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  1. Posts : 48
    Windows 7
       #1

    Command Prompt command <ipconfig> not working


    when I open up my command prompt and type 'ipconfig' without the ' and press enter it returns the line:
    'ipconfig' is nto recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file

    I am trying to find out the information I need in order to set up a static IP Address for port forwarding
      My Computer


  2. Posts : 1,507
    W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
       #2

    In order to set up a static ip address internally, you'll need to either tell your router or your computer not to use automatic DHCP and instead to use a specific IP address.

    Go to the System Tray (Notification Area)
    Click the Network icon
    Click 'Open Network and Sharing Center'
    Click the 'Change adapter settings'

    Selec the connnection for which you'd like to use a static IP
    Right click it
    Click 'Properties'
    Select 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)'

    Select 'Use the following IP address':

    In the 'IP Address' field, insert the IP you'd like to use.

    Note: The IP you use must be within the router's list of acceptable IP addresses. It's usually a list between 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.255
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...f-3656805f1844

    If you're trying to set up an external static ip you'll need to pay your isp extra for one.
      My Computer


  3. Posts : 1,170
    XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
       #3

    notsograymatter said:
    In order to run ipconfig you need to run commond prompt as an administrator and then use the line "ipconfig /all"

    Start > Search "cmd" > Right Click > Run as Administrator
    Type In: ipconfig /all
    Just typing ipconfig should display the current configuration, even at user level. The message he's getting says that IPConfig.exe is not present on his computer.

    For the OP ... Which release of Win7 are you using?
      My Computer


  4. Posts : 1,507
    W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
       #4

    Doesn't ipconfig come w/ all versions of windows?
      My Computer


  5. Posts : 1,170
    XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
       #5

    mrcheesete0 said:
    when I open up my command prompt and type 'ipconfig' without the ' and press enter it returns the line:
    'ipconfig' is nto recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file

    I am trying to find out the information I need in order to set up a static IP Address for port forwarding
    Click the network icon in your taskbar -> Network and Sharing -> Adaptor Settings...
    Click the adaptor -> Details...

    Whew... they sure buried that one...

    Command Prompt command &lt;ipconfig&gt; not working-capture.jpg
      My Computer


  6. Posts : 1,170
    XP Pro SP3 X86 / Win7 Pro X86
       #6

    notsograymatter said:
    Doesn't ipconfig come w/ all versions of windows?
    I could be wrong but I don't think it's included in the Start or Basic editions.
      My Computer


  7. Posts : 48
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #7

    CommonTater said:
    mrcheesete0 said:
    when I open up my command prompt and type 'ipconfig' without the ' and press enter it returns the line:
    'ipconfig' is nto recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file

    I am trying to find out the information I need in order to set up a static IP Address for port forwarding
    Click the network icon in your taskbar -> Network and Sharing -> Adaptor Settings...
    Click the adaptor -> Details...

    Whew... they sure buried that one...

    Command Prompt command &lt;ipconfig&gt; not working-capture.jpg


    you are truely a life saver, thank you.


    notsograymatter said:
    In order to set up a static ip address internally, you'll need to either tell your router or your computer not to use automatic DHCP and instead to use a specific IP address.

    Go to the System Tray (Notification Area)
    Click the Network icon
    Click 'Open Network and Sharing Center'
    Click the 'Change adapter settings'

    Selec the connnection for which you'd like to use a static IP
    Right click it
    Click 'Properties'
    Select 'Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)'

    Select 'Use the following IP address':

    In the 'IP Address' field, insert the IP you'd like to use.

    Note: The IP you use must be within the router's list of acceptable IP addresses. It's usually a list between 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.255
    Setting Up a Static IP Address in Windows 7

    If you're trying to set up an external static ip you'll need to pay your isp extra for one.
    different type of static IP address there. i've set up a static on my old laptop with XP before but i was having troubles with my new desktop.

    CommonTater said:
    notsograymatter said:
    In order to run ipconfig you need to run commond prompt as an administrator and then use the line "ipconfig /all"

    Start > Search "cmd" > Right Click > Run as Administrator
    Type In: ipconfig /all
    Just typing ipconfig should display the current configuration, even at user level. The message he's getting says that IPConfig.exe is not present on his computer.

    For the OP ... Which release of Win7 are you using?
    honestly, no idea. I believe i read once it is Home Premium. idk, the highest level of home version available, and 64 bit i know for sure
      My Computer


  8. Posts : 48
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #8

    for the static Ip address thing i was talking about: when using a router, ever time you turn off your computer when you turn it back on, the last digits of your IP address change, depending on how many computers are on your router. and since i am wireless with no password, that could be unlimited. so, in order for my port forwarding to correctly work, I have to make sure that number never changes.
      My Computer


  9. Posts : 48
    Windows 7
    Thread Starter
       #9

    ok, look at my attachment picture, im not quite seeing all that info it says I need to set up the static IP address, any ideas on how to get that first subnet mask?


    im an idiot. nevermind this. i found it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Command Prompt command &lt;ipconfig&gt; not working-ip-config.png  
      My Computer


  10. Posts : 1,507
    W7 Ult. x64 | OS X
       #10

    What do you mean thats a different static ip address than the one you need?

    That's the only kind of static ip address if you're talking about an internal ip address (within your network). You can also set it up via the router. You may have to if your router doesn't allow you to set it up independently. If you tell us your router model we can show you how to use that to do it if you don't want to use the Windows method.

    EDIT: According to your Default Gateway (Router's IP) you're probably using a D-Link or a Netgear router.

    Here are tutorials for both:

    D-LINK: http://www.cctvcamerapros.com/DLink-...etup-s/162.htm

    Netgear: http://www.icloseup.com/helpfile/Set...%20Netgear.htm

    As I mentioned before, if you want a REAL static ip address, I.e. the address you broadcast across the internet you'll need to contact your ISP because some provide the service for free, some you have to pay and some don't allow it at all.

    Network IP Address: 192.168.1.110
    Global IP Address: 72.169.40.57

    Keep in mind that even if you set up a static ip address within your network (192...) you may not have a static ip address outside of your network (72...). As mentioned, you have to contact your ISP to figure it out.
      My Computer


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

  Related Discussions
Our Sites
Site Links
About Us
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46.
Find Us