Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: network adapter gone!? brain teasingly horrible!

30 Apr 2010   #11
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Lets take this from the top. You get it to work, then it goes to sleep and once PC wakes up no LAN... right?

Once you remove batt and clear CMOS you can PING, Internet, etc???


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Apr 2010   #12
paperboy

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Lets take this from the top. You get it to work, then it goes to sleep and once PC wakes up no LAN... right?

Once you remove batt and clear CMOS you can PING, Internet, etc???
the first part is correct. it was working fine, then it came out of hibernation one morning and had the dreaded yellow triangle in the tray. and LAN in network connections was gone.

once i remove the battery, when i start up, it gives me the opportunity to get into the bios. i changed a setting in bios to enable support for usb keyboard so now i can just get in there without the hassle of clearing the cmos with battery removal.

nothing i've done so far helps with ping, or connecting. i couldn't find windows 7 drivers for my mobo, but i just installed the vista 64x ethernet driver on there, and still nothing. running the troubleshoot says my network adapter driver is not correctly installed, but the device isn't even listed under device manager! so it looks like vista 64bit drivers are incompatible and like i said, i can't find windows 7 64bit drivers for this mobo. the only 7 64bit one on the manufacturer's site is an audio driver. i don't have the disc that came with the mobo, it's across the country in my old house. i'm almost ready to go out and buy a new ethernet card, i can spare a pci port. but this shouldn't even be happening!

3rd day without internet on that computer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Apr 2010   #13
paperboy

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

thanks for helping btw, i know my posts can be boring and hard to understand.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Apr 2010   #14
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
thanks for helping btw, i know my posts can be boring and hard to understand.
Uninstall the driver, reboot, then reinstall the Vista 64 bit driver in compatibility mode.... right click on the installer and choose troubleshoot compatibility.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 May 2010   #15
paperboy

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

welp i threw xp 32 bit on here, and still an amber glow on the lan port, even with no cable in. i think this concludes the lan port on the mobo is shot :/

i went out and bought a cheapo usb lan connector, like the ones you use for a wii lol does great though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 May 2010   #16
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
welp i threw xp 32 bit on here, and still an amber glow on the lan port, even with no cable in. i think this concludes the lan port on the mobo is shot :/

i went out and bought a cheapo usb lan connector, like the ones you use for a wii lol does great though.
Well now get Win7 loaded back up and enjoy it!

Have you tried a different cable, just in case?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 May 2010   #17
paperboy

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
welp i threw xp 32 bit on here, and still an amber glow on the lan port, even with no cable in. i think this concludes the lan port on the mobo is shot :/

i went out and bought a cheapo usb lan connector, like the ones you use for a wii lol does great though.
Well now get Win7 loaded back up and enjoy it!

Have you tried a different cable, just in case?
thanks for the potentially useful advice
honestly i thought about it and i think i'll stick with xp for now, i miss the solidity of it. i mean is there something you can run on 7 that can't run on xp? it's nice to see support for this os in everything. and the 'new and useful' features of 7 actually impeded my work instead of helping me. sometimes i'd accidentally drag an explorer box around too much and all my other folders would minimize, which was kinda gay. and how the explorer boxes would always auto stick to the side of the screen when i dragged them in that direction. it was frustrating. what would someone do if they wanted to change this? how would they even go about looking up how to change it online? searching terms would be along the lines of 'explorer window keeps sticking to side of screen wtf' and nothing relevant would even come up lol. 7 still doesn't seem like an improvement on much to me, it's an improvement on vista, but by god anything's an improvement on that pos. i'm sure the widgets can be handy, but honestly i never bothered, i don't like the thought of having virtual memory sapped for a dialogue box stuck to my background with power buttons on it lol or pictures of animals. maybe the cpu data lol. but when i get a weird problem in 7 and try finding some docs on it, it's a freakin CHORE! i end up having to join a forum and ask my question, lol. it's almost like 7 is in a public beta stage. i'll stick with xp, and prolly dual boot some linux distro. cheers mate! hope your ultimate signature copy doesn't do you wrong lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 May 2010   #18
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
welp i threw xp 32 bit on here, and still an amber glow on the lan port, even with no cable in. i think this concludes the lan port on the mobo is shot :/

i went out and bought a cheapo usb lan connector, like the ones you use for a wii lol does great though.
Well now get Win7 loaded back up and enjoy it!

Have you tried a different cable, just in case?
thanks for the potentially useful advice
honestly i thought about it and i think i'll stick with xp for now, i miss the solidity of it. i mean is there something you can run on 7 that can't run on xp? it's nice to see support for this os in everything. and the 'new and useful' features of 7 actually impeded my work instead of helping me. sometimes i'd accidentally drag an explorer box around too much and all my other folders would minimize, which was kinda gay. and how the explorer boxes would always auto stick to the side of the screen when i dragged them in that direction. it was frustrating. what would someone do if they wanted to change this? how would they even go about looking up how to change it online? searching terms would be along the lines of 'explorer window keeps sticking to side of screen wtf' and nothing relevant would even come up lol. 7 still doesn't seem like an improvement on much to me, it's an improvement on vista, but by god anything's an improvement on that pos. i'm sure the widgets can be handy, but honestly i never bothered, i don't like the thought of having virtual memory sapped for a dialogue box stuck to my background with power buttons on it lol or pictures of animals. maybe the cpu data lol. but when i get a weird problem in 7 and try finding some docs on it, it's a freakin CHORE! i end up having to join a forum and ask my question, lol. it's almost like 7 is in a public beta stage. i'll stick with xp, and prolly dual boot some linux distro. cheers mate! hope your ultimate signature copy doesn't do you wrong lol
Sorry but I really dont understand people like you... Blame a problem that isnt related to Win7 on Win7.

You were having a minor issue with a vastly superior Win7 64bit and went back to XP32 and still have the same issue (dead NIC)... yet you still blame Win7.
WinXP is 9 years old... That's old!
Microsoft is no longer providing support for it after this Summer... its old!

I am also sure that; if you had an OS prior to XP, that there was a small learning curve there when you upgraded. Same with any OS. Adapt & learn.

BTW... Those issues you were experiencing with the GUI are new features, perhaps with your next upgrade I suggest some time spent learning the new features before you knock them. Aero Shake and Aero Snap (the 2 features you had trouble with) are actually very cool features once you understand how to use/control them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 May 2010   #19
paperboy

windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darryl Licht View Post

Well now get Win7 loaded back up and enjoy it!

Have you tried a different cable, just in case?
thanks for the potentially useful advice
honestly i thought about it and i think i'll stick with xp for now, i miss the solidity of it. i mean is there something you can run on 7 that can't run on xp? it's nice to see support for this os in everything. and the 'new and useful' features of 7 actually impeded my work instead of helping me. sometimes i'd accidentally drag an explorer box around too much and all my other folders would minimize, which was kinda gay. and how the explorer boxes would always auto stick to the side of the screen when i dragged them in that direction. it was frustrating. what would someone do if they wanted to change this? how would they even go about looking up how to change it online? searching terms would be along the lines of 'explorer window keeps sticking to side of screen wtf' and nothing relevant would even come up lol. 7 still doesn't seem like an improvement on much to me, it's an improvement on vista, but by god anything's an improvement on that pos. i'm sure the widgets can be handy, but honestly i never bothered, i don't like the thought of having virtual memory sapped for a dialogue box stuck to my background with power buttons on it lol or pictures of animals. maybe the cpu data lol. but when i get a weird problem in 7 and try finding some docs on it, it's a freakin CHORE! i end up having to join a forum and ask my question, lol. it's almost like 7 is in a public beta stage. i'll stick with xp, and prolly dual boot some linux distro. cheers mate! hope your ultimate signature copy doesn't do you wrong lol
Sorry but I really dont understand people like you... Blame a problem that isnt related to Win7 on Win7.
...there were no win7 drivers for my motherboard on the manufacturer's site, and i could not figure out if the vista drivers i had to resort to using were the problem, or if it was a dead NIC... i would say that's lack of support for win7, which is a problem if you have win7, don't you think? and no i didn't blame the connectivity problem on the os, i assumed i had a nasty virus. saying i blamed win7 is putting words in my mouth...

Quote:
You were having a minor issue with a vastly superior Win7 64bit and went back to XP32 and still have the same issue (dead NIC)... yet you still blame Win7.
WinXP is 9 years old... That's old!
Microsoft is no longer providing support for it after this Summer... its old!

I am also sure that; if you had an OS prior to XP, that there was a small learning curve there when you upgraded. Same with any OS. Adapt & learn.

BTW... Those issues you were experiencing with the GUI are new features, perhaps with your next upgrade I suggest some time spent learning the new features before you knock them. Aero Shake and Aero Snap (the 2 features you had trouble with) are actually very cool features once you understand how to use/control them.
i'll probably throw 64 bit xp on here when i find the disc actually. yes it's old but still extremely functional, with more support than 7. whats something you can have on 7 that you can't have on xp? besides buggy widgets lol. microsoft is going to stop supporting xp because that will pretty much invoke sales of 7, it's better for business. i had 7 on here for a quite a while, and i did learn. but i'm not going to be happy with adapting to something that is LESS efficient and productive. sure some things in the taskbar were neat and some small changes seemed handy, but overall it's still unstable, has few support docs, unnecessary features, and those 'aero' features are just not my cup of tea. how many times do you drag something to the side of the screen hoping it won't reshape and stick? then you get that ghost trace of how the folder will be manipulated when you release your mouse click and go 'NO DAMN IT I JUST WANT TO MOVE IT TO THE SIDE!'. for me that was ALL the time. and what is the point of the shake feature? so you can look at your wallpaper while playing around in one folder? every now and then i'd accidentally shake something and all my carefully arranged open programs would minimize. we probably do completely different things on our machines, but my demands weren't met with 7. you assume i haven't given myself time to live with it, but i have, at least 5 or 6 months. right now it's just a step up from vista, it needs some service packs, and thought lol. old is stable :P remember that. nothing crashes. and i missed not having to worry about compatibility B) it's a great feeling. perhaps with your next upgrade i suggest some time spent crying over how frustrating it was before the upgrade :P

</rant>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 May 2010   #20
Darryl Licht

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit Steve Ballmer Signature Edition
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
...there were no win7 drivers for my motherboard on the manufacturer's site, and i could not figure out if the vista drivers i had to resort to using were the problem, or if it was a dead NIC... i would say that's lack of support for win7, which is a problem if you have win7, don't you think?
It's a lack of support from the manufacturer of your mobo, and not MS... dont cha think???

MS cannot be expected to provide drivers for everything... some of that responsibility has to on the manufacturers. Either your mobo is old or its manufacturer is sub par.


Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by paperboy View Post
i'll probably throw 64 bit xp on here when i find the disc actually. yes it's old but still extremely functional, with more support than 7.
OLD=SLOW... take it from an old man! LMAO!

Dude, XP was released in 2001 and 9 years in the computing industry is eons! I bet your car is newer than that!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Closed Thread

 network adapter gone!? brain teasingly horrible!




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Wifi adapter could not bind IP protocol stack to network adapter
Hello! I registered to forums to get help to solve wireless adapter issue I am having. I have been looking for help in Lenovo forums and AV provider: problem is still on. Background I changed AV software from Symantec to F-Secure. I uninstalled Symantec software and installed F-Secure...
Hardware & Devices
Problem with wireless network adapter or acces network
is there any solutions for this problem? it's really bugging me i already try to fix it by manage the device manager (network adapters)
Network & Sharing
AWUS036H adapter can't find specific network but inbuilt adapter can
Hello I have my AWUS036H for a few months now and it worked perfect until now. My landlord has a router in his appartment and I need to connect to that router to get access to the internet. I bought this adapter for a better signal but this week I got a very weird problem. My adapter can find...
Network & Sharing
Problems with wireless network adapter and network connection driver
Hi, So recently I have removed a nasty zeroaccess rootkit virus(es) from my laptop. My Windows Firewall, Defender and Updates would not work (still won't), my browser kept redirecting to unrelated websites, and I was just overall having a TON of irritating issues. I installed MalwareBytes and...
Network & Sharing
Horrible Seagate Goflex_Home Network Drive.
My experience with this 1TB network drive is about the worst in 25 years of assembling my own PCs. I bought the drive as a solution to back up three PCs on a home wireless network. The one drive would always be available for back up. The drive is bundled with Memeo back up software which...
Hardware & Devices
Network connection dies a horrible death
About once every two days, my connection to the internet dies, and won't come back without a System Restore. I've got two XP machines along with my Windows 7 machine on a D-Link router. About once every two days, my Windows 7 machine just decides that it won't connect to anything on the...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:20.
Twitter Facebook Google+ Seven Forums iOS App Seven Forums Android App